Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
QuadRover QuadRover... — Parallax Forums

QuadRover QuadRover...

rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
edited 2008-06-13 17:05 in Propeller 1
Dear Chip,

This is a little bit of an aside... but after a little radiation to my head, my teeth fell out. So, I went to my dentist and he told me that he could put me back in shape for about $14,000... but not to worry since he has an instant credit program, called CareCredit...

Then I saw the QuadRover... and my dentures fell out.

I don't just want a QuadRover... I have to have a QuadRover, but I can't actually reach into my wife's wallet for $4,000.

HELP!!!

I need PropCredit...

Rich

Comments

• hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2008-05-21 09:27
    I'd have thought there were plenty of third-party credit agencies/companies which could solve your problem.
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2008-05-21 12:50
    Does Parallax do Layaways? smilewinkgrin.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian

uController.com - home of SpinStudio - the modular Development system for the Propeller

PropNIC - Add ethernet ability to your Propeller! PropJoy - Plug in a joystick and play some games!

SD card Adapter - mass storage for the masses Audio/Video adapter add composite video and sound to your Proto Board
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2008-05-22 04:52
    Hey Rich,

Looks like Chip didn't read this message so I'll answer on his behalf.

We've given two QuadRovers away, but both of them went to students who·had·chosen it for·competitions that are supposed to create some marketing benefit for Parallax.

We probably should offer layaways, but·we're·not ready for that considering our small size.·Setting it up would take us away from other projects we need to finish, so it's a low priority.

I realize that $3995·requires·some high-level spousal approval,·use of credit, and serious sacrifices for a hobby purchase.·I'm just hoping Chris Savage and Paul Baker·don't ask·about checking one out for personal use. . .would be hard to say "no" to those guys too but I've already rehearsed the word several times so I'm ready for them.

Today we had a couple of visitors at our office (Jon Williams - JonnyMac; Terry Hitt - Hitt Consulting; and Brian - Altitudeap) for different projects.·David Carrier drove a QuadRover around for us in the back of the office and it was truly impressive. He's written some great Prop code that manages brakes, skid steer, arc-turns, etc. under remote control. This robot is totally unique.

Here's a surprise: we've already sold eight (8) units and more orders are coming in! Now·if we could figure out how to make a profit on them. . .

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2008-05-24 22:48
    Ken,

I'm not trying to cause a Gracey family argument or anything[noparse];)[/noparse]

I've sold my "spouse" on the QuadRover concept... now it is just a matter of figuring out how to pay for it. The argument that I used was that the QuadRover is a technology demo for all things required for serious robotics. AND she bought the argument completely[noparse]:)[/noparse] (The fact that I don't have a business plan for anything robotic seems to have slipped right by her[noparse]:)[/noparse]

About Chris and Paul...

You don't actually want to say "no." It is so depressing.

Just tell them that they can stress test my QuadRover for a couple of weeks... once I've signed the lease agreement[noparse]:)[/noparse]

Rich
    edited 2008-05-24 22:53
    rjo,

If a QuadRover is your destiny I can help make that wish come true. We don't have credit plans but maybe you can be the first person to use layaway or some combination thereof.

First I need to make sure that you really, really want a QuadRover. Do you live somewhere that you can see one of these in person?

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2008-05-24 23:10
    Ken,

God Bless You.

With regard to really, really wanting one... pure product lust, irrational desires, pure faith in your creative output? yes.

I'm planning some really small farm implements and plan to use the QuadRover raise the corn... to turn into ethanol... to drink while I'm playing with it.

With regard to seeing one in person... I'm planning to be at Oldbitcollector's meeting in August if I can get him to repost the details.
    I'm in Central Illinois. So, seeing one in person isn't likely... but if you would kindly seed a unit to Martin HEBEL at SIU, I would make the trip[noparse]:)[/noparse]

Rich

ILMP

Post Edited (rjo_) : 5/24/2008 11:29:25 PM GMT
    edited 2008-05-24 23:33
    Rich,

We'll be at Sensors Expo in two weeks in Chicago with a QuadRover.

You could see it in real life at that show if you can make it to Chicago.

As for Marty, he only needs to ask for one.

Ken Gracey
    edited 2008-05-24 23:36
    I almost forgot!!!! Sensor Expo is in two weeks!!!

See you there[noparse]:)[/noparse]

Rich

Post Edited (rjo_) : 5/25/2008 12:47:14 AM GMT
  • Martin HebelMartin Hebel Posts: 1,239
    edited 2008-05-25 12:21
    Huh? What? Sorry, not been following the forums, Outlook was being stressed by the number fo messages per day... but got a nudge from Rich... Ask for a quad rover? Meetings in August? Alas, I have to start a summer semester on the day of the sensor's expo [noparse]:([/noparse]

OK, I'm asking!! Pleading? Begging? What now?

-Martin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    SelmaWare Solutions - StampPlot GUI for controllers, XBee and Propeller Application Boards

Southern Illinois University Carbondale, Electronic Systems Technologies

Propeller Workshop - Getting started & Using Video - Power Point and Spin Files

edited 2008-05-25 14:18
    I have the same feeling... I turn my back for a femtosecond and I feel like I just fell into a black hole. The web page gets reorganized, there is a list of new products a mile long and we have our own video page[noparse]:)[/noparse]

SIU rules...
  • Martin HebelMartin Hebel Posts: 1,239
    edited 2008-05-25 14:29
    Yeah, I'm wondering what else I've missed during the last 2 months when I turned off emails. Topics seem to bubble to the surface pretty regularly here, so I'm sure if I start monitoring again, they'll pop up again.

Anyway, Emailed with Ken G. (Kenny G?), and he asked for some project commitment to go along with donation of a QaudRover for promotional use. Can't commit this summer, maybe in Fall when I have a class full of Propeller-heads in training... Some one give me a heads up if things get firmed up on an August meeting - hopefully I can squeeze it in.

Thanks!
    -Martin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    SelmaWare Solutions - StampPlot GUI for controllers, XBee and Propeller Application Boards

Southern Illinois University Carbondale, Electronic Systems Technologies

Propeller Workshop - Getting started & Using Video - Power Point and Spin Files

edited 2008-05-25 15:12
    Not to worry, they aren't shipping yet. In terms of projects, consider mounting a stereo-camera and some self-leveling. I have an old commercial app that SIU could tap into.

The meeting is at the end of August... but I can't find the exact date. This would make a nice class outing. SIU's President has some real clout, you might want to tap him for a bus and incidental expenses. I could drop the family outing concept and sponsor a car load of your Propeller heads if you want.

Rich
    edited 2008-05-25 15:29
    Ken,

I've been thinking about profitability. You could spin off Parallax's automotive division, get VC and charge $1000 for software[noparse]:)[/noparse]

Rich
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2008-05-28 18:08
    Ken Gracey (Parallax) said...

We'll be at Sensors Expo in two weeks in Chicago with a QuadRover.

You could see it in real life at that show if you can make it to Chicago.

Ken Gracey

Hello Ken,

Are you going to be at the show? As an exhibitor did they give you any show passes for customers? It would be cool to see the QuadRover in person. Besides, the rest of the show looks great too. It's a bit of a drive from Detroit but doable.

Robert
    edited 2008-05-28 19:30
    Robert,

I'll be there, so come visit!

Our marketing team just put the free Sensors Expo pass link on our home page.

Ken Gracey
    edited 2008-05-29 03:41
    That is one great marketing team[noparse]:)[/noparse])

http://hackedgadgets.com/page/3/
    edited 2008-06-13 01:58
    Ken,

So... I missed the Sensor Expo (family illness)... but even a family death won't keep me from Oldbit's meeting in August.

http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=25&m=246525&p=5

Any chance of a Quadrover appearance in Ohio?

My favorite Prop video of all time:

Rich
  • AleAle Posts: 2,363
    edited 2008-06-13 09:07
    This thread is heartwarming smile.gif

btw, the Quadrover is just fabulous !. Maybe some race teams can get their handfs on some and make a special race just for them wink.gif... autonomous driving, of course smile.gif
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2008-06-13 14:10
    rjo_ said...(trimmed)
    About Chris and Paul...
    You don't actually want to say "no." It is so depressing.
    Just tell them that they can stress test my QuadRover for a couple of weeks... once I've signed the lease agreement[noparse]:)[/noparse]
    rjo_

Don't worry about us...I don't know about Paul but I've been practicing my guilt-trip for Ken's "NO" response...

Seriously though...As a hobbyist I have to prioritize my interests...There are many projects way ahead of the QuadRover in my list (and Paul's) and with David Carrier handling the code and schematics for our loyal customer base I think we'll be fine (Paul and I).· I think it's only fair play to give Ken the occasional pout face though.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • AleAle Posts: 2,363
    edited 2008-06-13 14:55
    Chris said...

Don't worry about us...I don't know about Paul but I've been practicing my guilt-trip for Ken's "NO" response...

Klasse
    edited 2008-06-13 17:05
    Hey guys,

The Sensors Expo was a neat place to visit this year, though trade show attendane was far lower. Many customers came by to pick up a Propeller Starter Kit, so hopefully we'll be seeing them on the forums soon. Several of them had already identified how to use the Propeller in their applications, which are as diverse as I could have imagined. I'm totally surprised by what people want to do with the Propeller. Many of the projects will exploit the video capabilities, while others simply need the ability to perform several tasks concurrently. Some of the projects where Props are being put to use are in commercial farming, medical machines, production line test fixture equipment, interactive art, and of course the all-new green applications relating to solar and power generation.

From a new product standpoint, we found some interesting·gyros, CO2 sensors, acoustics, and WiFi products that could do well in our·line.·There are many niche companies who we can't easily find on the web, particularly those from Asia.·There's something unique about being able to ask (and hopefully get answers) to all of your questions about·specifications, interface, price, availability, company background that's sooo much easier in person. At least you can identify the·various "hitches" much more quickly in person.

And what is it with the squirrelyness of some companies when you ask about price?·Sales people almost universally answer the question with another question and give a vague answer back. . . $5 to·$9, or "around $25" and if you ask the same question the next day you get a different answer. Why, why, do they have to make something so simple so complex? And if you ask about supply you get the same answer. . .·dare ask·to buy some samples and you'll be faced with more·complexities. I don't know about you guys, but I'm starting to grow cranky when I·encounter these situations when scoping out new sensors and·parts we'd like to use.

On the other hand, the companies who have a supply situation and know their prices get new customers!

And for our booth - it was very simple (see below). We displayed all of our sensors and two Propeller applications (one from Paul, and the graphics demo).

The QuadRover received a·very positive·reception. I'm pretty sure I sold at least three of them at the show. After all, selling is one of my shameless favorite activities. People who have only seen it on the web say the same thing when they see it in real life. Comments like "this is far larger and more substantial than I expected", "what is your target market?", and "I'm amazed at the quality of the design" were typical. If only we could run this robot on the trade show floor, or use it to transport our booth materials. . .

Thanks to everybody who visited our booth!

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.

P.S. The travel situation out there is a mess.·Flights are being cancelled and the TSA's new "What kind of traveller are you? Advanced, Intermediate or Beginner" attempt to speed security is a bit messy at Denver airport. I got shoved in the Beginner line because I had two bags.
    1600 x 1200 - 434K