Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Predicting the future with the Prop. (update in first post) - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Predicting the future with the Prop. (update in first post)

2»

Comments

• vampyrevampyre Posts: 146
    edited 2008-05-22 12:23
    updated version with COLOR graphics in the first post
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2008-05-24 23:21
    look at the work of Michael Persinger http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Persinger

He was able to reproduce many aspects of the alien abduction experience using three solenoids mounted on a football helmet. Of course, he had a pretty good idea of what he was doing... and he is a Canadian. Canadians get away with all kinds of stuff that would end the careers of American scientists[noparse]:)[/noparse]

You have to be careful... seriously modulating magnetic fields introduces the potential for tissue disruption.

On the brain mapping front... we have lots of kids in our special olympics program who have never had brain mapping... because the technology is too expensive.

This would be a good place to apply your Propeller. If you get one electrode (skin electrode that is[noparse]:)[/noparse] working, there are plenty of guys around here that will help you with the rest.

Rich
    edited 2008-05-25 10:44
    Yeah i've read something about that, something about how near death experiences and ufo abduction might be caused by EM fields affecting the temporal lobe. Its probably best not to mess with that part of the brain. That part of mine is screwed up anyway. I'll be experimenting with parts of my brain that don't matter so much, like the prefrontal cortex

lol, i just got a vision of a photo booth type thing, where you insert a dollar and have a chance to have a near death experience.

anyway, as far as brain mapping goes I think the propeller is particularly well suited to what I want to do. with all its cogs i could map some key areas of the skull to get sort of a triangulation fix. maybe using slow flashing lights or images to invoke certain repeatable brain functions the device can look for. I have no idea if that would even work, but as far as TCMS goes I think it would be really useful.
    edited 2008-05-25 16:05
    Yes. And I particularly like the kiosk idea...

EMFs are a good source of all kinds of deadly diseases... everything from diabetes to lukemia... but of course there is no proof[noparse]:)[/noparse]

Measure all fields that you subject yourself to and keep careful records... exactly what killed you will be of interest to someone.

My favorite Russian scientist has large areas of prefrontal damage... looks rather like a void on brain mapping. This hasn't stopped him; he gets on very well without his prefrontal cortex. One of my favorite American scientists, who actually worked for me for a few months, was a test subject for rather high energy magnetophosphene research. She has occasional trouble spelling 5 letter words, doesn't pay her taxes and is quite combative... but she COULD see images directly transmitted into her head.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypotheses_of_consciousness_and_spacetime... she is listed as the last reference.

In terms of applications, the sky is the limit... if you are still young. Nothing is going to change for a few years... during which period you can study the Russian patents, most of which are about to expire.

In Scandinavia, drug addiction is being treated with EMFs... and in Russia, eye trauma and inflammation are routinely and quite successfully treated with EMFs as a substitute for various pharmacologic agents.

The net effective energy actually required is equivalent to an AC uTesla field at about 100 Hz... anything more and you should be working for the military.

You need a mentor to keep you safe... choose a Canadian.

In the meantime... follow the yellow brick road to Propeller-based brain mapping. That way you have a diagnostic device with feedback potential and some kids that need brain mapping will get it.

Rich
    edited 2008-05-25 21:55
    Thanks for the advice and inspiration. It certainly sounds as if you've had a bit of experience on the topic. The TCMS designs i've come up with have lots of redundant safety systems and i've been through all the available documentation and safety information i could get my hands on multiple times. i may not have much more than a couple of years left anyway, so at this point my main concern is not so much safety as it is repeatably accurate placement of the coil. well, that and cost of production. i'd like the mapping system to be something people can afford, build and use with relative simplicity.

as for 'working for the military', some of the stuff they've got going on now , and what they must have that we don't know about, scares the socks right off me. Not so much that they have energy weapons and devices that can put audio directly into the brains of victims... but that the military is in control of them. that enough of that rant though [noparse]:)[/noparse]
  • Sleazy - GSleazy - G Posts: 79
    edited 2008-05-28 08:29
    ·· Photon interaction with polished metal can be described similarly to semiconductor depletion and enhancement zones .· The interactions between pairs of harmonically linked electrons....

······· COOPER PAIRS,

···· ·produce models of·PHONON-ELECTRON and PHONON-PHONON interactions within the metallic electron gas cloud of such target.·

· A PHONON IS A PHOTONIC (QUANTUM)·VIBRATIONAL·ENERGY STORED IN THE COOPER PAIR'S SPHERICAL····
    ····· HARMONICS

·· YOU CAN SCATTER LIGHT ELASTICALLY (RALEIGH) or INELASTICALLY (RAMAN)·, producing some quite different results.

IN THE RAMAN MODE, AN IMPINGING PHOTON·CAN ACTUALLY BE TRANSFORMED INTO PHONONIC ENERGY

When a photon turns into a phonon when hitting a target through·raman scattering·you will actually see an increase in mass of the target, intermediately.· The photon "morphs" into a vibration

· SCINTILLATING· resin·with phototubes do a good job at interception of individual particles through just that same bandgap process that

350px-Indirect_Bandgap.svg.png

···
    ·
    edited 2008-05-29 04:15
    vampyre...

Unfortunately, the best available information isn't in English... it is in Russian. The safety studies for eye treatment were done at the Helmholtz Eye Institute in Moscow...
    You might want to check with them... it is amazing how much damage you can do with a relatively weak magnetic field if you modulate it wrong.

By the way... today I took my son to the dentist and there was a recent copy of Mechanics Illustrated... AND there was a nice article on using TCMS... for depression, which was reported in Canada about 10 years ago. Sounds like the only thing the company (referenced in the article) needs is FDA approval... and a plan for some good follow-up on how many people they kill.

My favorite Canadian expert is Frank Prato... http://www.uwo.ca/biophysics/lhri/principal_investigators/prato1.htm

He hosted a major therapeutics meeting several years ago. You might want to submit your design and see if he has any concerns. (Given the right chemical environment all you need to cause brain cancer is a down transformer.)

Sleazy,

You have stated the main argument for vibrations being the acoustic coupling mechanism for microwave hearing... problem is that when you do holographic interferometry... nothing seems to move.

I seem to remember one study in which the cochlea were excised and measurements of central auditory stimulation were still positive... but that was a long time ago.

Rich
    edited 2008-05-29 04:35
    Vampyre,

It won't do you any good to try to read the literature unless you know where to look... and even if you are smart enough to know where to look, you need an expert to help you to follow the right threads. None of the critical studies has ever been replicated and almost all of them do not contain full enough information to even try to replicate them.

This is an enormously important area. Our military has the best information... what stops them from just dumping it all into the public domain is the effect that the information would have... which given the current state of the world... would not be good.

There is a solution for this problem... but it would take about 20 years and no one has figured out how to do a proof of concept study.

Until then we are left wondering how long we can go until the lack of socially relevant information causes a catastrophic failure. When you see our military falling apart... we are getting close[noparse]:)[/noparse]

In the meantime, please see what you can do to come up with the equivalent of a single electrode Prop-based EEG... and then publish the details here[noparse]:)[/noparse]

Rich
    edited 2008-05-30 05:22
    I'm definitely working on a type of QEEG, thats the first step. I'm giving myself 6 months to finish that, and then another 3 to build the TCMS. If it all works, i might just live to see the next decade. If not, maybe i'll see some pretty colors. either way, i promise not to fry my cortex until i've built the QEEG [noparse]:)[/noparse]

along those lines have you seen this thing?
    http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=head-games-video-controller-brain
    not too sure how well it works but i love the design and the fact that it doesn't use any goop to connect the electrodes.
    one of the things i'd like to have is a goop-free device. I'm thinking if i use a grid of 8x8 probes tightly spaced together, hooked up to a prop, i can filter out noise and amplify the signals i'm looking for without the need for gel.
  • CephdonCephdon Posts: 1
    edited 2008-05-31 05:39
    It occurs to me that predicting the future is not what happened. The test you made was to ask the program a question which you knew the answer to.
    Possibly it was just telling you the answers you wanted to hear...

--CephDon
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2008-06-05 20:01
    I just got some prices for the Quantis units which generate random numbers using a quantum optics process. The OEM module is €289 and the USB unit is €599. Given that they incorporate a laser single photon source, half-silvered mirror, two single photon detectors and some electronics, they are good value for anyone needing true random numbers.

Leon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Amateur radio callsign: G1HSM
    Suzuki SV1000S motorcycle
    edited 2008-06-06 00:29
    I loved the link... one of the ways to support your development is to put it into a game and let people play with it.

If you are looking for something to keep you alive for a few more years... please allow me to point you in one more direction...

EEGs are band pass filtered to eliminate the ambient 60hz that permeates us at all times and in all places (except Europe)... then a final low pass filter ... to filter out everything above about 100 Hz... as I remember. It turns out that there is a lot of activity around 1Mhz and absolutely no instrumentation available to look at it. This type of sensing could also be non-contact. This signal is coming from a macromolecule, which subserves regulation in most active processes... To see the signal you would probably have to polarized it and synchronized with a magnetic field.

Growing yeast produces this signal... and it has been experimentally measured in the absence of a magnetic field.

Rich

The best way to survive is to become an expert about your own disease and then find a medical expert who agrees with you[noparse]:)[/noparse]
    edited 2008-06-06 07:43
    i'm pretty much an expert on my disease and at this point there really isn't much hope other than the TCMS or a miracle treatment being discoverd. either that or lots of weed. I might go with the weed, but i dont like being drugged, and i dont really want to move anywhere that its legal. we'll see what happens with the QEEG and TCMS

1mhz? seriously? Odd. got any more info on that , like a link or something i can search for?
    edited 2008-06-06 14:41
    Never give up...

Once a disease is actually understood... it is by definition treatable. Sometimes you only need a single fact to take something from hopeless to cured.

The only disease that I know of that is being treated by weed and could in theory be treated by TCMS is ventricular hypertension... that condition is open to all kinds of intervention. If that is what you've got, cheer up, things are about to get better.

on the 1Mhz signal... I learned about it privately and I haven't seen anything directly published about it in human systems. But the same macromolecule is in yeast and you can do all kinds of interesting things to measure the signal in yeast and also use that frequency to directly affect yeast systems. When you see a macromolecule that hasn't changed much in evolution from yeast to man... you know that you are looking at a fairly important molecule[noparse]:)[/noparse] AND who can question the politics of studying yeast?

When I learned that you could actually study this molecule in yeast... I was absolutely floored. Turns out that the literature is "budding" with all kinds of important info[noparse]:)[/noparse]

If you google yeast and 1Mhz... you will come up with some false hits... but if you follow the literature far enough you can get some fairly interesting and germane informatioon.
    edited 2008-06-08 15:58
    I've been looking into those anomalous results obtained in the·Global Conciousness Project (http://noosphere.princeton.edu/proc_bottom.html); the methodology is seriously flawed. For instance, the data are not examined 'blind', but by someone who is expecting an effect, and who selects when the trial is to begin and end. The apparent effect resulting from the 9/11 attacks that was evident some four hours before the events disappears if the data are analysed starting earlier or later. Most damning, none of this research has been reported in a reputable peer-reviewed journal.

Leon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (Leon) : 6/8/2008 4:52:56 PM GMT
    edited 2008-06-09 01:37
    yeah i think i mentioned the flawed methodology in the first or second post. if not, i meant to

edit: looks like i neglected to mention that i thought it was completely bogus, but i'm pretty sure i did in the notes in the source file of that first release. I guess i just figured that most people would figure that out on their own.

Post Edited (vampyre) : 6/9/2008 1:42:51 AM GMT
    edited 2008-06-09 05:52
    I've just thought of this counter-argument. If someone decides he wants more ones than zeros, and then examines the data and actually finds a run of more ones than zeros, perhaps a few hours before he made the decision, it's just the sort of thing one would expect from a random distribution. They seem to have convinced a lot of people that they are measuring a real effect, however.

I found a clip on YouTube where one of their 'scientists' claims that coin tossing can be influenced mentally!

Leon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2008-06-09 08:48
    perhaps it can. its one of those things where, you can't prove a negative. I could claim that santa lives in my pants. but since you'll never be able to look into my pants youll never be able to disprove it.

the lack of reproduced results isn't proof that its complete quackery. That being said though, there are places where events should have registered on their EGGS that didn't, and places where they registered days before or after. The real problem with their experiment is that there is no real criteria for "important events" , or a time frame in which it should register.

But again, that doesn't mean its wrong, it just means that if there is something to it, we haven't found it yet. The results i've gotten with the 8-ball are pretty wild as long as i'm using it to test for current or past events. at the very least, that suggests that there is some way for a human to predict the outcome of an analog random number generator.
    edited 2008-06-09 09:32
    The standard scientific approach isn't the proving of·a theory, one attempts to disprove it. The problem with paranormal research is that no-one seems able to formulate a null hypothesis and test it properly.

How have you tested your hypothesis that you can influence the output of your RNG?

Leon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (Leon) : 6/9/2008 10:05:33 AM GMT
    edited 2008-06-09 15:33
    Leon said...

...that you can influence the output of your RNG?

assumptions aren't good for science. I don't assume that i am influencing the RNG. Its possible that it is influencing me, or that a magic elf is communicating with my propeller through elf magic from the 8th lair of happy land. its also possible that i'm completely insane.

and as i note in the comments of the current version of the code, all my 'evidence' is anecdotal . That being said, I've had multiple family members and friends test the machine, and so far its been wrong once, and right more than 100 times. Its correctly identified winning scratch off tickets, relayed the outcome of coin flips and answer more general questions.

So i guess if you are really aching to do some hard core science, download the code, find a few volunteers who know how to meditate.
    edited 2008-06-18 10:31
    I just got this reply from Psyleron about my suggestion that they try the Quantis RNG:

Hi Leon,

The short answer to your question is that "No," we have not done such a comparison; but this is largely because we operate under a working hypothesis that suggests that the effects are not noise-source dependent at the level you describe. Your question is common and makes sense from a traditional perspective, though, so it does warrant some explanation.

First, without going into too much detail, you may be want to look into the papers entitled "Sensors, Filters, and the Source of Reality" or "Change the Rules," which are both available at http://www.princeton.edu/~pear to get a sense of where the rest of this is coming from. In case that is too much reading, I will try to explain how our ideas about the topic differ from those which lead many people to suggest single photons, higher bit rates, parallel noise sources, different forms of shielding, and enhancements of that nature.

When most engineers and scientists who come from a traditional physics paradigm come upon our work, they tend to assume that we are postulating an effect whereby some element of the operator (e.g. "mind," brain, electromagnetic fields, etc.) interacts with some other object (e.g. a quantum noise source in an REG, photons, electrons, etc.) using a known or unknown force. Whether or not an effect itself exists may be an issue that is up in the air in this paradigm, but if there is one, the assumption that comes from this model is that it is a causal-mechanistic effect, and that one can enhance or tweak the effect by designing a physical system that best suits the underlying mechanism of the purported phenomena.

After many years of empirical findings and mixed experimental results, we (as well as researchers at PEAR and other organizations) have come to the conclusion that this is almost definitely not the case. Issues such as weak replicability, inconsistent effect sizes, and experimenter driven results seem to weigh against the idea that we are working with some kind of mechanistic physical force. Furthermore, in the data we find which does have an effect, we often find indications of consistent anomalous structure across experiments that use very different physical noise sources and processing methods.

For example, in experiment that uses different types of true random physical sources (thermal noise, quantum tunneling, or even cascading polystyrene balls) in very different contexts (controlling a robot, moving a graph on a screen, falling down a machine), we find what we refer to as "series position effects," correlations with operator subjective states, and other types of quantitative structure that do not emerge in the calibration data and would have no reason to exist across sources with different physics. In addition to this, "harsh" manipulations and processing of the true random bits prior to presenting it to the operator (provided the underlying probability distributions remain) seem to have no first order effect on our bottom line outcomes.

The net result of this is that we tend to think of the effect as having less to do with the exact physical nature of the systems in question, and more with the nature of some deeper element of the physical world itself. It is quite possible that the operators are not acting on the physical noise source itself in any conventional way, but are rather capable of somehow shaping the likelihood of realizing specific probabilistic outcomes in a way that defies conventional assumptions about reality.
    This is a difficult for many people to consider; but philosophers of science, physicists, and philosophers, have, for a long time, acknowledged that there may exist phenomena that are not causal, mechanistic, and reducible and therefore may not even be able to be captured or explained using the prevailing scientific methodology. The phenomenon that we are seeing with the REG may very well be a case of such a type of effect, and our challenge is to try to come up with ways to better understand what is happening here.

More to the point … it would be very much to our benefit to find a physical process that can enhance the effect sizes or lead to more consistent results across a broader population. As such, if we found that single photon noise sources helped to enhance the effects, we would certainly be using them. Unfortunately, things just don't seem to be that simple!

I hope this helps to answer your question!

Best,

John Valentino
    Chief Executive Officer,
    Psyleron, Inc.

It would appear that they only want to use their own hardware. They won't release their raw data to anyone outside the project. They even seem to have formulated their methodology to exclude proper scientific testing.

I've modified Chip's original software slightly, so that I can save random values on the PC. I can now·run my own statistical tests on the output.

Leon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (Leon) : 6/18/2008 10:39:41 AM GMT
    edited 2008-06-18 18:07
    my future-predict-o-matic 8-ball says that this thread is dead and should be left to rot