Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PROPELLER TOOL - Feature Request - Allow folders for spin files — Parallax Forums

PROPELLER TOOL - Feature Request - Allow folders for spin files

DavidMDavidM Posts: 630
edited 2008-05-15 07:47 in Propeller 1
HI,

I would like the next version of PROPELLER TOOL to have an option in the PREFERENCES MENU for the user to nominate a default folder for which ALL the spin files go. The most important feature is that the propeller tool will ALLOW FOLDERS to be used and will search within those folders for the spin files when compiling.

KEEPING ANY SPIN FILES in the PROGRAM FOLDER is NOT THE RIGHT PLACE TO KEEP DOCUMENTS CREATED BY THE USER!!! ( i.e .spin files)

For example , I would like to organize my spin files like this.

My Documents folder/Propeller/Object Exchange ( original files from the object exchange )
My Documents folder/Propeller/My Propeller Projects ( this would have a folder for each project )
My Documents folder/Propeller/My Propeller Library ( A Place to keep my generic code used by my projects )

With the current setup its very messy ( and wrong) to keep many spin files in the program folder and
by not allowing folders to be recognized by the propeller tool is very frustrating!

Thanks

Dave M

Comments

• kuronekokuroneko Posts: 3,623
    edited 2008-05-14 05:19
    I agree. Having a number of user defined search paths would make life a lot easier.

TIA
  • ErNaErNa Posts: 1,751
    edited 2008-05-14 09:27
    I would like to have some kind of macros. Just load an external piece of code, similar to file for data. This could simplify the use of code snipplets. Would be even better to add some parameters, similar to batch commands
  • DavidMDavidM Posts: 630
    edited 2008-05-15 03:02
    Another idea I have is that we can create PLUGINS so that the SPIN Application can recognize methods, constant and functions from ANY object and that don't need to be declared in the OBJ Block. There would be a plugin folder WITHIN the SPIN APPLICATION FOLDER.

For eg,

You could create a whole bunch of STRING , NUMBER and MATHS routines etc, assuming none of these require COGS
    You can make the plugins PROTECTED so the source code can't be seen ( or you don't have to )
    the idea is that IDE would perform a SYNTAX Check so the commands would appear and behave just like SPIN commands

Another idea!!

A "TYPE-AHEAD/AUTO-COMPLETE" feature would be great! ( similar to how REALBASIC works.) this should include the users objects/methods they create.

and yet another idea,

make use of 'DISCLOSURE" triangles for indenting .

and one more idea!
    be able to "LOCK" parts of code say for each BLOCK so that the user can prevent accidental editing or lock parts off when they have been tested , but you can still view everything. you could also have "NOTES" in each block for review purposes.

That's enough ideas for now smile.gif

Thanks

Dave M
  • ErNaErNa Posts: 1,751
    edited 2008-05-15 07:47
    The find/Replace command places the cursor into the first/last line on screen. Therefore it is not possible to see the environment of the current line. It would be helpfully to bring the focus to the n-th respectively screensize-n-th line.
    When undoing it would be nice to stop before undo to see, what was reverted. And sometimes it would be an advantage to skip an undo. For not everything in the past was done wrong wink.gif