Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Cheap Lightpen — Parallax Forums

Cheap Lightpen

Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
edited 2008-05-21 18:48 in Propeller 1
I noticed that Radio Shack still had some old fashion Photoresistors so I grabbed a pack.

As it turns out they function nicely as an old-fashion light pen connecting them between IO and 3v with
the IO side pulled down using a 10k resistor. I've got it drawing on the screen. (slowly) in Femto.
A decent object could yield a snazzy lightpen or add a switch and you'd have a light-gun.

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
New to the Propeller?

Getting started with the Protoboard? - Propeller Cookbook 1.4
Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
Got an SD card? - PropDOS
Need a part? Got spare electronics? - The Electronics Exchange

Comments

• Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,560
    edited 2008-05-11 03:19
    Oldbitcollector,

I've thought about doing something like this for quite sometime, but haven't gotten around to doing anything yet... similar to a light pen project I entered into an SX contest.

Only coming from the Propeller itself, it might actually be a lot easier, since you "know" where the vertical and horizontal sync are, or at least you have a better reference to where they are.

What's essential is a good "trigger" circuit on the front end with your photo-transistor. I ended up settling on a basic current mirror design to act as a buffer to the photo-transistor which worked really well... better than just a pull-down resistor. I'll see if I can find a schematic.

I'd be very interested to see a Light Pen object for the Propeller!!!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
  • Kaos KiddKaos Kidd Posts: 614
    edited 2008-05-21 17:28
    Funny, I was looking at how light pens work and everything for the exact same reason....

KK

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Propeller + Hardware - extra bits for the bit bucket =· 1 Coffeeless KaosKidd

·
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,560
    edited 2008-05-21 18:48
    Oldbitcollector,

Here is the conditioning circuit that I used for a Light-Pen project that provided a nice signal to the SX.

http://forums.parallax.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=40329

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.