Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
First time here. Need help with project. L.e.d.s and sounds. Thanks. — Parallax Forums

First time here. Need help with project. L.e.d.s and sounds. Thanks.

yautjayautja Posts: 4
edited 2008-05-13 01:12 in Learn with BlocklyProp
To start off, thank you very much for attempting to help me. OK, here goes, I'm building a "PREDATOR COSTUME" and one project is to build the led display that the creature has on his arm, you know , when he destroys himself at the end. Well, I have 40 leds that I already configured into the position that I want them in. I've encased them in fiberglass resin so now the leads are sticking out from the bottom(READY TO CONNECT!). I want them to flash in different modes and I want sound when I press some buttons. What do I buy from PARALLAX to do this project????? Thank you very, very, very much !!!

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-05-09 22:21
    You need to define what you want to do a bit better. For example, what kind of sounds? Just tones? Music? Voices?

How many of the LEDs have to light at the same time? This is important because all microprocessors have limits on how much
    current they can supply at any given moment. Do you just want the LEDs to turn on and off or do you want to be able to dim them?

What do you know about microcontrollers? What do you know about electronics? What do you know about programming?

You will probably need some chips to drive the LEDs that Parallax doesn't sell. You will probably need some kind of sound player
    from a manufacturer like Quadravox or Vinculum. If you get an MP3 player like Vinculum's, you'll need some kind of amplifier.
  • yautjayautja Posts: 4
    edited 2008-05-09 22:47
    Thanks Mike for replying. The sounds are going to be 2 tones from the movie ""PREDATOR" that I have in some files on my computer.

Out of the 40 leds, 20 will be just on and the other 20 will just flicker on and off some simultaneously, some not, no dimming.

I read a little about microcontrollers , but never worked with them. I bought the 500in1 project kit and done a couple of projects dealing with transistors, diodes , capacitors but thats the extent of my experience.
    I know nothing about programming but I build my own computers and install windows and know how to go to bios and what not.

I was thinking of buying the Parallax Professional Development Board. It looks like it could handle a lot.
  • datacpsdatacps Posts: 139
    edited 2008-05-10 03:49
    I would buy

http://www.parallax.com/Store/Microcontrollers/BASICStampProgrammingKits/tabid/136/CategoryID/11/List/0/SortField/0/Level/a/ProductID/313/Default.aspx

Then you can run a simple program like this..
    ' {$STAMP BS2}
    ' {$PBASIC 2.5}
    thePin········· VAR···· Nib············ ' pin 0 - 3

Setup:
    · DIRA = %1111························· ' make LEDs output, low
    Main:
    · DO
    ··· FOR thePin = 0 TO 3················ ' loop through pins
    ····· TOGGLE thePin···················· ' toggle current pin
    ····· DEBUG HOME, BIN4 OUTA············ ' show on Debug
    ····· PAUSE 250························ ' short delay
    ··· NEXT
    · LOOP································· ' repeat forever
    · END

You will need to drive the leds with a transistor from Vin arrange them
    so they give you a cool pattern and put a couple of 9 volt batteries
    together so you have some power to drive them . Hide the Stamp in your clothes unless you can fit them in the box you made and go from there.....

·
  • datacpsdatacps Posts: 139
    edited 2008-05-10 03:52
    Take out the debug part of the code when you finish writing the code

you won't need it but when you run the code on your computor you can see how the LED will light

so you can get an ideas of how to wire them..
    edited 2008-05-11 02:28
    Thanks datacps, I appreciate your help. This place is cool.·Everyone is eager to help.
  • P!-RoP!-Ro Posts: 1,189
    edited 2008-05-13 00:46
    You are probably better off using the propeller microcontroller. Basic stamps usually have better operating capabilities, but the pbasic language they use doesn't allow them to operate two commands at once. Also, it looks like you are into producing images. If you want it on an actual screen, here are some posibilities:

List of screens for making the image:
    http://www.parallax.com/Store/Accessories/Displays/tabid/159/CategoryID/34/List/0/Level/a/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName,ProductName

A kit that allows you to make games on TV:
    http://www.parallax.com/Store/Microcontrollers/BASICStampModules/tabid/134/List/1/ProductID/467/Default.aspx?txtSearch=hydra+kit&SortField=ProductName,ProductName

If you still want to use the leds, the propeller kit is probably the best way to go. But, if you want to use a basic stamp, try using the BS2p-40 here:
    http://www.parallax.com/Store/Microcontrollers/BASICStampModules/tabid/134/CategoryID/9/List/0/SortField/0/Level/a/ProductID/8/Default.aspx

If you go with this option, make sure you get a programmer able to hold it. I'm pretty sure you can use it on the professional development board, and once you have it, you can get info on how to program it in the download section. Good luck!
    edited 2008-05-13 01:12
    Cool , thanks. By the way , I fricken love your name ! I can relate !! haha