Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Spin Stamp or Propeller — Parallax Forums

Spin Stamp or Propeller

WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
edited 2008-05-06 01:28 in Propeller 1
Hey Everyone,

If you where making the transition between the Basic Stamp and the Propeller,·should I·start with the Spin Stamp or just dive on in to something like the Propeller Education Kit.

Also being Propeller People, in the Propeller Education Kit, what are the advantages/disadvantages of the PropStick USB Version vs. the 40-pin DIP Version?

Thanks for your help?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney

Comments

• JonathanJonathan Posts: 1,023
    edited 2008-05-05 16:44
    I'd say go for the Prop, unless you have something like the Boebot that you want to use. The Spin Stamp is a (semi) drop in replacement for the Basic Stamp. I say "semi" beacause the Prop is a 3.3V device and the Stamp is a 5V device.

I really like the Proto board for experimenting. Cheap, has a power suply built in and access to all pins.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.madlabs.info - Home of the Hydrogen Fuel Cell Robot
  • bambinobambino Posts: 789
    edited 2008-05-05 17:02
    Hi Whit,
    The spin stamp is great if you have a BOE laying around that you want to beef up a little, but as far as diving into the propeller goes, the spinstamp is limited toy 16 pins, 18 if your lucky and the sout and sin happen to get along with your serial port. It's not supported, but did work with my computer! And as jonathon mentioned the 5v is to be watched out for. This is a disadvantage as far as the appmode connector goes only, because even the Prop Edu Kit and Protoboard have 5v pins on board.

The Protoboard will bolt onto a Boe-Bot, so if you wanted to get into robotics that will be the easiest transition for you.
    The Prop Ed Kit is wonderfull, I have the 40 pin version and its nice to be able to design with it, build a prototype and take the components right off the bread board and soldier away. The USB version I suspect would have the advantage of more breadboard room for your home brew circuits. The only disadvantage I see is, say your eeprom goes bad or you want to upgrade to a larger eeprom: the 40 pin would excel here! Also replaceing things like the Regulator or Crystal are also a snap using the 40 pin version.

Hope this helps.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-05-05 17:03
    The PropStick just has the obvious advantages of a mostly "all in one" device that still allows access to all the I/O pins. It has the 3.3V supply, EEPROM, crystal, reset circuitry, and PropPlug built-in. The only thing it needs is the +5V supply.
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2008-05-06 01:28
    Thanks for the great input everyone!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney