Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic stamp into excel. — Parallax Forums

Basic stamp into excel.

GabezeusGabezeus Posts: 3
edited 2011-04-27 19:02 in BASIC Stamp
Can I use a basic stamp to write data into an excel spread sheet, or any other type of document?

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-05-03 20:12
    Yes and no. A Basic Stamp can send data to a PC as text over a serial data stream. Typically this would consist of a series of values separated by commas and new lines (usually carriage return / line feed character pairs). It's the job of the PC to store this data in a file and handle the copying of the data into whatever form you want. You might look at a program called Stamp Plot Pro from Selmaware (www.selmaware.com/stampplot/). This has some ability to manipulate data from a Stamp and store it in a file. It might be a way to get started or at least serve as an example of what can be done.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 1,023
    edited 2008-05-03 22:02
    You can also use Hyperterm to create text files that you can then read with excell.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.madlabs.info - Home of the Hydrogen Fuel Cell Robot
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2008-05-03 22:41
    PLX-DAQ should help you do what you want. According to the product page,

"Parallax Data Acquisition tool (PLX-DAQ) software add-in for Microsoft Excel acquires up to 26 channels of data from any Parallax microcontrollers and drops the numbers into columns as they arrive. PLX-DAQ provides easy spreadsheet analysis of data collected in the field, laboratory analysis of sensors and real-time equipment monitoring."

It's a free download from Parallax.

-Phil
  • MSDTechMSDTech Posts: 342
    edited 2008-05-04 00:23
    I use PLX-DAQ to routinely capture data from a Basic Stamp in Excel. I usually put a long pause in the program and send a debug statement to "Close Debug and connet in Excel". By having PLX-DAQ running unconnected, two mouse clicks and the data is read into Excel. I've also run the product through a Bluetooth connection for up to 2 weeks gathering data.
  • GabezeusGabezeus Posts: 3
    edited 2008-05-04 15:19
    thanks guys, thats awesome!
  • chiqueschiques Posts: 21
    edited 2010-12-28 23:07
    A simple and sloppy way of getting this done

Using minicom in Ubuntu:

minicom -C /home/user/myusbdata.txt will create a text file that can be read into OO or Excel.

I posted of couple of files from a setup with a light sensor getting a flash light waved around.

P.S. Make sure you stop the debug window (bstamp_run) so all the data flows into the minicom window.
  • Cyril GCyril G Posts: 1
    edited 2011-04-27 14:03
    Hello Jonathan

I know this is an old posting, but currently I am looking to save on PC a file from stamp. DO you have a code /setting that needs to be done to use hyperterm to do this. I'd appreciate any help.
    Cyril
    Jonathan wrote: »
    You can also use Hyperterm to create text files that you can then read with excell.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.madlabs.info - Home of the Hydrogen Fuel Cell Robot
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-04-27 14:15
    Hyperterm will not do this automatically. Look at Stamp Plot Pro>
  • sylvie369sylvie369 Posts: 1,622
    edited 2011-04-27 19:02
    Cyril G wrote: »
    Hello Jonathan

I know this is an old posting, but currently I am looking to save on PC a file from stamp. DO you have a code /setting that needs to be done to use hyperterm to do this. I'd appreciate any help.
    Cyril

What do you mean by "a file from stamp"? The Stamps don't hold anything recognizable as a "file" in their memory. They hold (tokenized) program code and data.

I suspect you're really asking "How can I download the program from a Stamp onto my PC?". I believe you'll find that the answer is "You cannot". See this thread:
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?131049-retriving-code-from-BS2

If you're asking "how can I send data from my Stamp to the PC?", PLX-DAQ works quite well and fairly easily.