Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
HYDRA not programming (Solved, got new hydra, very pleased!) — Parallax Forums

HYDRA not programming (Solved, got new hydra, very pleased!)

tpw_mantpw_man Posts: 276
edited 2008-05-17 22:11 in Propeller 1
The hydra that I just got for my birthday fails to program successfully. I can program other propeller chips just fine. All the demos run(parallaxaroids, breakout), but I cannot program any code and it fails to identify. A different USB cable does not help, and the lights flash when first plugged in(green, red, green, red) and the green light flashes once when I try to identify. I think the problem is in the reset circuit on the FTDI chip area, because the hydra resets fine with the reset button, but does not reset when I attempt to program or identify the chip. Also, not much of a problem, but the book cover is only half glued on.

Please help

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
I am 1011, so be surprised!

Advertisement sponsored by dfletch:
Come and join us on the Propeller IRC channel for fast and easy help!
Channel: #propeller
Server: irc.freenode.net or freenode.net
If you don't want to bother installing an IRC client, use Mibbit. www.mibbit.com
tongue.gif

Post Edited (tpw_man) : 5/16/2008 4:10:13 PM GMT

Comments

• Parallel UniverseParallel Universe Posts: 46
    edited 2008-05-03 01:12
    There's a setting in the Prop Tool that controls what serial line to reset the Propeller with. It's under Edit > Preferences > Operation.·I'm pretty sure·it has to be set to DTR to work with the Hydra.
    I also have a book with only one side glued down, nothing a little tape doesn't fix.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·</Parallel Universe>
  • tpw_mantpw_man Posts: 276
    edited 2008-05-03 01:24
    It was set at DTR & RTS, and changing it to DTR didn't help, but thanks anyway.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    I am 1010, so be surprised!
  • AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2008-05-03 07:26
    Hmmm, the only way the HYDRA gets the game programmed in is if it works in the first place, so this is interesting. You're saying that another prop board with the FTDI drivers and a USB to serial interface IS WORKING? The testers have to load the game on the hydra, so if the hydra had no game then we would be getting somewhere, but since it has parallaxaroids it means it works. Plus before that game is loaded an 8-cog test suite is loaded that I wrote that tests every single thing. So this is definitely interesting. Try the FTDI tool FTDI clean, I believe and re-load the drivers. Then make sure you try the Prop tool on the CD first, then load the latest prop tool.

Andre'
    edited 2008-05-03 12:16
    Yes, another propeller board using a Prop Plug works fine. The prop tool on the CD, and reloading the drivers does not help. cry.gif At least the cartridge has breakout smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (tpw_man) : 5/3/2008 12:26:59 PM GMT
    edited 2008-05-03 21:29
    Hmm -- that's truly bizarre since like I said they can't get passed without working, plus the only way asteroids gets on there is with it working. A couple questions:

1. What version of the IDE are you using?
    2. Did you use FTclean to remove all the FTDI driver and then re-install them?
    3. Have you tried on another machine?

Answer those and if you still can't get it working, even if you bought it from parallax, I would like you to send it to us for repair, replacement since I want to see what's up. So try those things and if no luck, just send me the HYDRA unit ONLY, wrapped in bubble wrap and UPS'ed ground or Priority mail to:

Nurve Networks LLC
    RMA Dept.
    12724 Rush Creek Lane
    Austin, TX 78732

UPS ground/priority for 1 LB (that's how much it should be in the box) is $5.00 or so, very cheap. And make sure its really safe in there and write FRAGILE all over it.

We will replace or repair it and turn it around for you asap. And let you know what we found. It could be a bad FTDI chip, it happens. It works then fails, its possible.

And for your trouble I will send it back with a HYDRA SD or SRAM card (your choice). Sound good? I am sorry that you got a present and it doesn't work! But, don't feel bad, I have the WORST luck on the plane...true story.... One time I got 10 flats in one week! Another time, I was talking to a business partner in the car, telling him about the 10 flats in 1 week, we were 20 mins from a meeting. Then while talking got a FLAT! But, I am PREPARED for it now and have TWO spares. So, I replaced the tire like it was nothing, continued on our way -- then we got ANOTHER flat! Replaced it, and continued on our way!!! And I was prepared for 3, I had fix a flat as well -- so sometimes you just get the bad one, happens to me ALL the time at FRYs' electronics. When I buy something, from now on I have my girlfriend pick one randomly since the one I pick will be broken without doubt [noparse]:)[/noparse]

But, in the end you will make out better with a added card, plus learn something, so this is a win for everyone [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Andre'
    edited 2008-05-11 20:11
    We found the problem, its a bad transistor Q5 in the USB circuit used for DTR and reset. The transistor is a simple 3904 NPN, we can't really test it after removing it, but either its bad OR during manufacturing a PNP transistor got accidentally substituted, so I am going to contact manufacturing and tell them to keep an eye out for that one -- Other than that, you repaired unit is on its way.

Andre'
    edited 2008-05-14 00:36
    Thanks so much!!!!!! smilewinkgrin.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

If you don't want to bother installing an IRC client, use Mibbit. www.mibbit.com
    tongue.gif
    edited 2008-05-16 16:04
    I have got my HYDRA back and I am extremely pleased with it! I also appreciate the free HX512K. Thanks so much!!!! roll.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

tongue.gif
    edited 2008-05-17 22:11
    Well, customer support/service is the #1 concern at Nurve Networks. Customer support is so bad everywhere, I deal with it everyday, so when people have a problem and they come to us, I want them walking away happy rather than more frustrated. It's sad that every time I have to call AT&T, PG&E, Sprint, etc. I talk to a moron that can't speak English, doesn't solve my problem and doesn't care.

So the important thing in running a business, is we all have the same technology, same engineers, but the one thing that sets companies apart is customer service.

Anyway, glad that worked out for you.

Andre'