Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
EEPROM programming error on COM11 — Parallax Forums

EEPROM programming error on COM11

igorigor Posts: 3
edited 2008-05-04 00:31 in Propeller 1
I have PropStick USB.

Identify hardware -> Propeller chip version 1 found on COM11.
Load RAM -> ... program works
Load EEPROM -> EEPROM programming error on COM11

What could be the reason?
·

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-05-02 18:02
    The Load EEPROM process first loads the program into RAM, then does a copy from RAM to EEPROM. Problems that could happen:
    1) The download to RAM fails. This is still possible even though the chip identified itself and you've already been able to load to RAM. The download process is very time sensitive. If your PC is executing something else in the "background", that could take enough CPU time to cause problems with downloading. Make sure you have the latest version of the Propeller Tool. The download process was changed to minimize the likelihood of "background" processes affecting the download.

2) The copy to EEPROM could fail. I'm not sure if the bootloader (which does the copy) checks the validity of the copy operation. It's possible that your EEPROM could be defective and the bootloader catches it, but I don't think this is so. If your EEPROM has worked before, then #1 is the only reasonable answer. The copy to EEPROM does take a bit of time and power and you could have a problem with your power supply.
  • Chuck RiceChuck Rice Posts: 210
    edited 2008-05-04 00:31
    I have run into this problem a lot, normally with larger programs. I am running on a MacBook 17" with Parallels and XP. I have found that if I try to use F9 or F10 to load the protoboard, it will fail 95% of the time. Disconnecting the USB cable and reconnecting it will allow it to load one time. Very much a hassle.

BUT, if I use F8 to compile the program, then press the Load RAM or LOAD EEPROM buttons (see the attached screenshot). It works nearly every time (the machine has to be VERY busy to cause it to fail).

Try F8 and if that works better.
    1509 x 915 - 98K