Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Digi-Key has no propeller chips — Parallax Forums

Digi-Key has no propeller chips

hinvhinv Posts: 1,253
edited 2008-04-29 15:51 in Propeller 1
I just got my new Digi-Key catalog, and I was looking for the propeller. Well, I found it....sort of. What DigiKey offers for propeller is:
Propeller Demo Board Kit
Propeller Starter Kit
Propeller PropSTICK Kit
Propeller Accessories Kit
Why no Propeller Proto Board?

Why no SpinStamp in the "BASIC Stamp Modules" large table that takes up 40% of the page? Yes, I know it is not a BASIC Stamp but neither is the Javelin Stamp, and it has a column.

And most of all, why no description of what a Propeller chip is anywhere on the page?!

I just don't understand. Are they not authorized to sell the Propeller, the SpinStamp, or the ProtoBoard?

Comments

• Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2008-04-26 08:45
    They can sell or not sell what they want.
  • Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL)Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL) Posts: 1,720
    edited 2008-04-26 10:35
    Try this:
    search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Cat=2556109;keywords=propeller

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Aka: CosmicBob
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,162
    edited 2008-04-26 12:05
    I think you can get the proto board from Digikey, but they're "non-stock". You can still order them, but they take a couple weeks to arrive. At least, that's my take on what the web site says... I was going to try it, but just ordered from Parallax instead.
  • bambinobambino Posts: 789
    edited 2008-04-26 18:52
    I've been putting things in my cart their for a purchase I'm making Monday and just now it shows their are still 165 left!
  • ShawnRDShawnRD Posts: 10
    edited 2008-04-26 20:49
    page 607 right side they show all 3 packages@12.95 ea,also described as 8 32-bit cogs.web shows 69 of 40 dip available
  • ShawnRDShawnRD Posts: 10
    edited 2008-04-26 20:51
    also,for what it is and does,a full page should be dedicated to only propeller
  • bambinobambino Posts: 789
    edited 2008-04-26 21:41
    Oops! Just reread your post. You where referring to the protoboard, not individual chips.
  • Chuck RiceChuck Rice Posts: 210
    edited 2008-04-27 04:02
    It may be a margin problem. The protoboard is priced pretty aggressively Digi-key may not stock it for this reason.
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2008-04-28 22:26
    We've talked about this before, our American distributors do not sell the Protoboard, because to provide them at the discount they expect we would have to sell them at a lost. So protoboards may only be purchased from us or a foreign distributor that chooses to carry it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • Mike_GTNMike_GTN Posts: 106
    edited 2008-04-28 23:44
    Hi Paul,

Do your own distributors not wish to buy from you in the hundred figures per consignment? This is a supply and demand case. I would see this as Parallax suddenly realising we would make a loss. Your Marketing people control the market place on this unique product. So then Paul what price does Parallax ship parts to foreign distributors for? Does seem that Parallax wish this product to capture the minds of people. One UK company has already been suggested as a bulk shifter of your products, but if not possible within the USA, then what hope do we ever have? This is probably the most unique of chips, the supply issue is also the same. No doubt Parallax has become a victim of own success with this product line.

Regards

Mike.
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2008-04-29 00:16
    I'm not at liberty to discuss specifics of the arrangements we have with distributors, but we were faced with the decision: do we offer it at a rock bottom price, simply to get it into customer hands at the cheapest possible price, but at the cost of our US distributors not carrying it; or charge everyone more so that the few people who do buy from our US distributors can get them. We chose the former.

If you guys want to talk about this some more, I will bring our sales manager onto the forum to discuss this with you.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Paul Baker (Parallax)) : 4/29/2008 7:05:41 AM GMT
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,162
    edited 2008-04-29 15:51
    Digikey seems to allow my to order them as "non-stock" items for $19.95. Says they'd ship 18May...