Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Keyboard USB vs. PS/2, GPS — Parallax Forums

Keyboard USB vs. PS/2, GPS

H2O2H2O2 Posts: 9
edited 2008-04-28 19:08 in Propeller 1
Hi All,
I am a newcomer to this world. I bought my first Parallax product a couple of weeks ago, the Propeller Proto Board, together with the GPS receiver and a LCD Display. So far, I have been studying a lot of manuals and existing objects to start the learning process.

I have also done some labs, and to my surprise they have all worked fine! My very old soldering skills, used when I was a teenager, have been reactivated... It's like learning how to ride a bicycle, once learned never forgotten!

My plan is to build a fairly advanced GPS navigator. The maths is completed [noparse][[/noparse]and tested!], like calculating: Great Circle Course, Rumb Line Course, Distance on the Great Circle and Rumb Line, Cross Track Distance, Along Track Distance, Position at Intersection.

I am currently trying to figure out how to connect a keyboard to the board. How to connect a PS/2 based keyboard looks, as far as I understand, quite straightforward. However, the the heavy duty, water resistant I want, connects via USB.

Now, my question...
Can the USB keyboard be as easy connected as the PS/2 one?
Have a feeling the answer is no...

Looking forward to some good advice.

P.S.
My name is G

Comments

• hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2008-04-22 18:53
    Simple answer; no.

If you can find something which can host a USB keyboard and will interface to a serial, I2C or SPI bus that would do it but the Propeller cannot work as a USB Host.
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-04-22 18:57
    Hi G
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2008-04-22 22:48
    Hi G
  • H2O2H2O2 Posts: 9
    edited 2008-04-23 13:15
    Thanks for the info!

I have found a little bugger that probably will to the trick at: http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/11298/subcatid/0/id/124184

But unfortunately it is currently out of stock at this distributor, hopefully not forever...

Cheers,
    G
    edited 2008-04-23 19:58
    you need the reverse type of adapter, a female USB to male PS/2 like this one: http://www.dcables.net/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=126
    Check the packaging your keyboard came into to see if any mention of PS/2 is made. I'd hate for you to buy the adapter only to find that your keyboard doesn't support PS/2 signaling (in which case the adapter wouldn't help you to interface your keyboard with the Propeller).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • H2O2H2O2 Posts: 9
    edited 2008-04-25 06:00
    Thanks Paul,
    I was only looking at the wrapping of the device and it said "USB to PS/2 Adaptor", but it does the opposite!
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2008-04-25 10:35
    Paul Baker (Parallax) said...
    you need the reverse type of adapter, a female USB to male PS/2 like this one: http://www.dcables.net/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=126
    Check the packaging your keyboard came into to see if any mention of PS/2 is made. I'd hate for you to buy the adapter only to find that your keyboard doesn't support PS/2 signaling (in which case the adapter wouldn't help you to interface your keyboard with the Propeller).

Typically USB keyboards that also support PS/2 signaling ship with the USB to PS/2 adapter
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2008-04-26 00:53
    I got a Tevion keyboard at Aldi, which is a European discount trader... in the U.S. Aldi sells cheap food. ... Milk for $2.29 a gallon.

The keyboard is waterproof, flexible and cost $3 (retail in the U.S). So, I suppose that after the VAT that would be $12 in Europe. It sas a USB to PS/2 adapter on a dongle.

MD85618... made in China.

Rich
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-04-26 01:15
    Rich,

Would you post a link to that distributor? (Just finished some Aldi's boxed chicken, love that stuff [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Thanks
    OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Getting started with the Protoboard? - Propeller Cookbook 1.4
    Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
    Got an SD card? - PropDOS
    A Living Propeller FAQ - The Propeller Wiki
    (Got the Knowledge? Got a Moment? Add something today!)

• OwenSOwenS Posts: 173
    edited 2008-04-26 12:02
    Paul Baker (Parallax) said...
    Hi G
    edited 2008-04-28 19:08
    Your and my definition of easiest is quite different, I don't know if you've worked with either product, but they aren't exactly simple to use.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.