Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
demo board electret mic — Parallax Forums

demo board electret mic

omgitsaliv55omgitsaliv55 Posts: 24
edited 2008-04-21 20:18 in Propeller 1
Hi everyone. I'm planning on getting the propeller education kit, but noticed that the propeller demo board has a built in electret mic. I was looking around for some documentation on how to use the output it gives, but couldn't find any. I'm planning on building the same mic circuit on the education kit using the demo board schematic, but before i go and place my order i would like to hear from people who make use of the mic. is there a propeller object that provides access to it? thanks!

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-04-19 16:16
    There are several programs included with the Propeller Tool that use the microphone. They are also in the Object Exchange under "Speech & Sound".
  • omgitsaliv55omgitsaliv55 Posts: 24
    edited 2008-04-19 17:20
    Thanks! I took a look at those and noticed they were written in assembly. I'm not familiar with assembly, so is it possible to write a working program in spin? Is it written in assembly because it needs to be as fast as possible to sample the microphone correctly?
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2008-04-21 20:07
    It depends, what kind of sample rate are you looking for?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • omgitsaliv55omgitsaliv55 Posts: 24
    edited 2008-04-21 20:18
    Paul Baker (Parallax) said...
    It depends, what kind of sample rate are you looking for?

To be honest, frequency isn't as much of a concern to me as amplitude. I want to make a robot that can respond to loud noises, not necessarily specific frequencies. Would I need a different circuit for something like that?