Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
TV Character Generator - Graphics Advice — Parallax Forums

TV Character Generator - Graphics Advice

Mike_GTNMike_GTN Posts: 106
edited 2008-04-19 22:23 in Propeller 1
Hi All,

I've been thinking of building an ultra simple TV Character generator to type white text on a black background to add to another project (13CMs TV TX) I started to think about the simple block graphics available in the SAA5050 (Teletext) generator chip. Thinking that it might be fun to have some very "primitive block graphics" available, led me to the following 2 questions: -

1. What are my limits on using graphics.spin with regard to the number of custom characters you can define?
2. How would custom characters get mapped back to ASCII keycodes for me to be able to select them?

Really the only reason have been drawn to using Graphics.spin is the ability to have "two" text sizes. Is there going to be a better way forward?

I've looked at most recently Full Screen Editor from Jeff (OBC), and all the previous font redefinition postings. This is along the lines I was thinking for this project.

Just Seeking the Forums wisdom at present.

Regards

Mike.

Comments

• stevenmess2004stevenmess2004 Posts: 1,102
    edited 2008-04-19 22:23
    Currently only characters $21 to $7E are used. You can use any of the free numbers from 0 to $FF for custom characters if you want. If you want two text sizes I don't think that there are any other options.

The problem with graphics.spin is the amount of space it takes up if you want the display double buffered. You could try my XOR version which offers some improvements.

If you only want the smaller text in a certain place you could use the standard tv_text and use graphics.spin for that portion of the screen. That could save a lot of space for the bitmap.