Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Need some help: Propeller fast enough for DDRAM Memory? — Parallax Forums

Need some help: Propeller fast enough for DDRAM Memory?

SteelSteel Posts: 313
edited 2008-04-18 20:00 in Propeller 1
I am fairly familiar with the Propeller chip.· I have worked on a few hobby projects with it, and I love it.

At work, we are looking at implementing some mobile DDRAM memory into a project.· Unfortunately, we need to build our own development tool to test the DDR memory.· The DDR Memory manufacturer suggested we use an ARM Processor for the interface to the DDR.

The problem?
My knowledge is microcontroller based, specifically to the SX Chip and Propeller.· I really don't want to have to learn to program an ARM controller to interface with the DDR Memory.· I would like to use a propeller if I could, but I am not completely familiar with the counter abilities.

The part that I haven't worked too much on with the propeller is the counters (other than DAC work).

I know that a user can generate frequencies with the PLL...But would the PLL's on the Propeller· cogs be fast enough and have·enough control·to read/write to DDR memory?

The DDR memory that we are looking at right now has a clock frequency of 133MHz, and an Access time of 6nS.

This page has data that is similar to the DDR that we are using:
http://www.hitechglobal.com/IPCores/MobileDDR.htm

If anybody could let me know, I would really appreciate it.· I would hate to have to step back, learn ARM Processors just for this one project.· (and this product will go into production, so if the Propeller is used, then it will be in Manufacturing Test facilities)

Thanks
Shaun

·

Comments

• jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2008-04-18 20:00
    If all you care about with your test is electrical connectivity, you'll do ok. But why not just use ICT for that? (unless tool cost is a factor). My experience with DDR is you won't find key problems with the interface until it is stressed (unless hardware was terrible from beginning). It is very unlikely that you will be able to stress your DDR with Propeller.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    jazzed·... about·living in·http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_Valley

Traffic is slow at times, but Parallax orders·always get here fast 8)