Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
vga graphics — Parallax Forums

vga graphics

Paul MPaul M Posts: 95
edited 2008-04-18 08:20 in Propeller 1
I've just made an adaptor to·connect a vga monitor to my own prop carrier board and I have got most of the vga demos working - I am still·amazed by what the·Prop can do (with the help of the brains behind the code of course)

I do no profess to knowing anything about graphic adaptors, vga signals, or video in general -·is there any better documentation for the·vga driver for example? - particularly as to what all the parameters are for.

I have half succeeded in getting the Graphics_Demo to work on the vga monitor by repalcing the tv object reference and using the vga parameter list. It took a while to figure out that I needed to set the vga_rate to 20_000_000 - even small changes to this value and it won't work at all, hence my request above. The display I get is not quite right with duplicate overlapping images but I can see what the image is supposed to look like.

Can the Graphics_Demo be made to work on vga properly·- does anyone have a modified version?

Paul

·

Comments

• Paul MPaul M Posts: 95
    edited 2008-04-17 16:42
    Got it working at last. I had originally used a vga parameter list from the vga_text demo.·When replaced with the parameter list from the vga_demo it all seems to work and the display is·not garbled. I guess I'm lucky to get this far as I don't understand what all the parameters do.

Is there no good documentation anywhere for this?
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,232
    edited 2008-04-17 17:55
    Good documentation -> No!

But, you can find some if you look towards the bottom of the driver's file (in the assembly section)...

The 1024x768 VGA demo does use Graphics, but doesn't do the same images as the graphics demo.

I don't think anybody has converted the graphics demo to VGA....
  • stevenmess2004stevenmess2004 Posts: 1,102
    edited 2008-04-18 08:20
    Well, there are actually a couple of options for graphics on VGA. You can use the standard graphics driver or the VGA 512x348 bitmap driver or there is another bitmap driver in the obex. Now I've got a copy of a graphics that Beau did for the 512x348 one. Have a look here http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=714000 and here http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=606957 for some info.