Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Stepper Motor as an alternator/generator — Parallax Forums

Stepper Motor as an alternator/generator

PhilldapillPhilldapill Posts: 1,283
edited 2008-04-18 03:02 in Propeller 1
I've got a TON of stepper motors that I haven't sold off yet and want to toy with some. I'm always thinking of new things to use a propeller for, and I thought about using a stepper motor to generate electricity. Attaching a simple blad assembly to a NEMA 23 stepper outputs a decent amount of power. I could hook one of these up to a step-up converter and charge some 12V batteries with it. Just a thought, remember, but how about using the propeller to do some MPP tracking and adjusting the step-up freq/duty/etc.?

Anyone ever used a stepper as a generator/alternator before? Any thoughts?

Comments

• niltonnilton Posts: 1
    edited 2008-04-17 04:49
    I've tried that but im sorry to say that efficiency is very low meaning that they make poor generators

An other use for steppers is as rotational incremental pulse generators. I've slaughtered quite many 3.5" disk drives, using the stator plates for construction of bldc·motors (they make great generators..)·and the stepper (originally for positioning the head) as pulse generators
  • eblanckeeblancke Posts: 26
    edited 2008-04-17 13:30
    Does anyone have any hard data on stepper motors as generators/altenators efficiency vs speed and other factors ?
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-04-17 14:19
    Curious what you want for a couple of those stepper motors?

I've never worked with them w/micros and need to add it to my education (and the Cookbook)

PM me.. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Getting started with the Protoboard? - Propeller Cookbook 1.4
    Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
    Got an SD card? - PropDOS
    A Living Propeller FAQ - The Propeller Wiki
    (Got the Knowledge? Got a Moment? Add something today!)

• PhilldapillPhilldapill Posts: 1,283
    edited 2008-04-17 16:23
    eblancke,
    I don't have any data except for my assumption that you will probably get a maximum power output at a particular speed. The reason, is that as the speed increases, the frequency of the sinewave output increases, and since these have a fairly high inductance, the impedance of the motor increases, limiting the current output.
  • parskoparsko Posts: 501
    edited 2008-04-17 16:28
    See the following URL for a similar discussion. I think it should answer all your questions...
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=720860

-Parsko
  • eblanckeeblancke Posts: 26
    edited 2008-04-18 01:11
    Parsko,
    Thank you for the link. It is clear the stepper motor is a poor generator, although I cannot find any hard data.
    So the question is, can any common electrical machine be converted to a reasonably efficient generator ?
    I know a vehicle alternator needs high revs which are not easy to achieve, and the Fisher&Paykel washing machine motor has some cult status amongst antipodeans - anything else ?
  • PhilldapillPhilldapill Posts: 1,283
    edited 2008-04-18 01:22
    eblancke,
    The alternator setup also has the slight problem of needing an external power source to drive the field coils. This isn't usually a bad thing, except when you already have depleated batteries to begin with. However, as for the high revs, you can always get some fairly cheap sprockets and toothed belts from mcmaster. You can build a 5:1 gear-up linkage for well under $20(including bearings). I just might do that.

On another note, I ran some tests today on my stepper motors. First, I had a makeshift blade set attached to it since it was a windy day, but it only output about 10ma @ 12V. I then attached the motor shaft to a drill and found that the power output would increase as a square of the rotation speed, then start to drop back off and level off at about 1/3 of the max power output(100ma LOL). I did this using a double voltage multiplier, utilizing a single multiplier for each of the two phases. I imagine I could use a propeller to "tap" different stages of the muliplier to get the most power out of the motor. Kind of like changing gears on a bike or car.
  • VIRANDVIRAND Posts: 656
    edited 2008-04-18 03:02
    I have a few comments about using stepper motors as generators, specifically the kind that
    were often used in 5+1/4 inch floppy drives in the late 20th century. (And other kinds as well.)

Putting a crank on one allows illumination of at least 8 super bright white LEDs at a reasonable cranking speed,
    and it blows them at an unreasonable cranking speed. And that is without gearing, which impresses
    me because I am not sure what other kind of motor will provide useful voltage and current if you
    simply hand crank the shaft without gears. This makes a nice and simple hand powered flashlight torch.

Another thing that will happen is if you connect two of these stepper motors together and crank one,
    the other one will turn synchronously, although only within a range of speed, yet this range of speed
    is within reasonable hand-cranking speeds. Again, I don't know of any other kind of non-geared motor
    that will generate enough power to run an identical motor if hand-cranked. There is 4 phase power.

Conclusion: It seems to me that at least that kind of stepper motor generates a useful amount of power
    when it is hand cranked. It seems to me to be exceptionally useful for generation compared to
    other common motors, in general.