Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
RS232 Programming circuit [Prop fried] — Parallax Forums

RS232 Programming circuit [Prop fried]

Jasper_MJasper_M Posts: 222
edited 2008-04-15 17:35 in Propeller 1
So, I built the RS232 programmer circuit described in Propeller data sheet. Well, almost that circuit. I used different transistors... and apparently the PNP transistor whose base the Propeller's TX pin is connected sinks pretty much current, even through a 1K resistor. I think that might be what caused the death of my prop.

Before I'll attempt again with the correct component values, I wanna make sure that the programmer is really meant for the RS232 levels on my computer, -10 - +10 volts. Should that be ok? Also, why doesn't /RESET have a pullup, and why is the prop TX transistor tied to DTR rather than ground through a resistor? Isn't this bit of a problem when the voltages between Tx and Dtr is 20 volts max?

Thanks, Jasper Mattsson

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-04-15 15:26
    The programmer is meant for RS232 levels which, by definition, can go from -12V to +12V, so -10V to +10V shouldn't be a problem..

/RESET doesn't have a pullup because it's effectively a pullup when BOE (brown out enable) is low.

The TX transistor is connected to DTR to provide the negative voltage required for RS232. It assumes that DTR will be active (at -V) during transmission.

The 4.7K and 1K resistors in the circuit should protect the Propeller from overvoltages. There are protective diodes to Vdd and Vss on all I/O pins and these will clamp any input voltages above 3.9V or below -0.6V as long as the current is limited to roughly 20mA which the resistors will do.
  • Jasper_MJasper_M Posts: 222
    edited 2008-04-15 17:35
    Ok, thank you for your reply... So it's pretty weird why it got fried in the first place. Oh well, then it's just time for another attempt... Or maybe I could try using the USB2SER output on Hydra for programming if I can find a connector that fits it...