Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
new user with questions about proto board — Parallax Forums

new user with questions about proto board

A-BotA-Bot Posts: 6
edited 2008-05-12 20:46 in Propeller 1
Hello,

I'm new to this type of microcontroller board and have a few questions. I read the v1.1 documentation, but there are still some things I am not sure about. I hope someone can help. smile.gif

1. Are all of the holes stand-alone besides·the ones that have white lines connecting them? It looks like all the 'strips' (aside from the VSS, VDD and +5V) are only two holes long.

2. I want to·have a signal line coming off the board with one resistor going to VDD and one resistor going to the IO pin.··Can someone recommend a way to·connect those together on the board?

3. Each side of the chip has a·pin hole·labeled VDD/VSS.·How does that work?·Is one of the two 'connected' holes (inner/outer) VDD and the other VSS?

Thanks!
-Adam

Comments

• hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2008-04-15 13:30
    1) Most are standalone, not connected to any others.

2) Solder one resistor in the hole, solder the other resistor leg to the leg which goes into the hole, or solder both into separate holes then use wire ( resistor leg cut-off works well ) underneath to link the two. You can often fold a leg under the board to save a separate link.

3) Taking the top line ( PSU input top left ), "P15, P14 .. P9,P8, VSS VDD", P15 lines up with P15 down to P8 lines up with P8, VSS is the next hole to the right of P8, VDD is the next hole to the right again.

If you have a multi-meter you can determine continuity ( or not ) between pads/holes.
  • A-BotA-Bot Posts: 6
    edited 2008-04-16 02:39
    Thanks for the reply. It all makes perfect sense now. The multimeter helps. blush.gif
    edited 2008-04-21 03:10
    If I mount the Memsic 2-axis Accelerometer to the proto board and mount the board perpendicular to the ground, will I still be able to use both axes?
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2008-04-21 23:40
    No, the Memsic uses a heated air buble to sense tilt and acceleration. When you tun it on it's side it acts like a rotary encoder of sorts, providing you with the angle the chip is oriented. There are right angle dip sockets you could use to reorient it to be parallel with the ground.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2008-04-22 12:33
    Ok, thanks for the tip.
    edited 2008-05-09 19:58
    Hello again,

I want to add an LCD to my setup for debugging purposes, but I'm not sure which one to go with. I want something small, easy to interface with the propeller, and I need to be able to display clear, readable text.

I was considering the 2.5" LCD A/V Display. It seems like a nice little unit. Is this a good option?

I have a related question - is it possible to send debugging information back to the PC throught the USB port while the PropPlug is connected? The Tool does not seem to have any debugging options.

Thanks!
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-05-09 20:34
    The 2.5" display is a nice little unit. If you do get it, you can always plug in a larger TV to get a larger image.

You can certainly send debugging information back to the PC through the programming port. You have to use some kind of terminal emulator. There's one that's just been posted that's based on the Basic Stamp Editor's debug window: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=725523. You could also use any other terminal emulator.
  • Ken PetersonKen Peterson Posts: 806
    edited 2008-05-09 22:08
    Another useful tool that I have used is Ariba's Prop Terminal
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=649540

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2008-05-12 20:46
    Thanks guys, I'm debugging over the terminal now.