Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
In memory of NEWZED (Sid) — Parallax Forums

In memory of NEWZED (Sid)

edited 2009-02-06 20:51 in BASIC Stamp
On April 7th, just a few minutes after midnight, my grandfather peacefully slipped away in his sleep.· He was eighty-five years old.

As a young man, Sid was fascinated with electronics and after he graduated from his rural Kansas high school in 1940, he joined the United States Navy as an enlisted·radioman.· He spent World War II in the back seat of a dive bomber and then moved on to Naval Intelligence (secure communications) assignments in Peru and Australia after the war.· He·later earned an officer's·commission and finished his career as a nuclear weapons officer at the height of the Cold War.

After retiring from the Navy, Sid continued working with electronics in both sales and the manufacturing of circuit boards.· Eventually, he retired (again) from the workforce·to pursue his hobbies.· Those hobbies included model trains (controlled by his custom-designed circuits, of course), designing and building circuit boards for customers across the country, and even building small robots.· I never knew what he would be tinkering with when I came to visit, but he never failed to amaze me with the curiosity and drive he exhibited at an age when most people begin to slow down.· Electronics·truly was his lifelong passion.

Many of you knew my grandfather from·the thousands of posts he made on these forums during the last few years.· I know he had many friends here and greatly enjoyed talking with and helping people.· It was something that he missed during the last few months of his illness.

Some of you may have been close to Sid and this message may come as an unpleasant shock to you.· If so, then I apologize.· It's difficult for me to identify all of his online friends, but this forum was suggested to me as a way to reach many of them.· I hope you'll take comfort as I do in the knowledge that Sid lived a very full life and died a very peaceful death.

While this is perhaps not the most appropriate location within the Parallax Forums to post this, I couldn't find a better one . . . and my grandfather used the BASIC Stamp program more than any other.· Hopefully, the forum moderators will forgive me.· Thank you.

Comments

• RsadeikaRsadeika Posts: 3,837
    edited 2008-04-14 23:40
    RIP Sid. It seems that it was only a few months ago that I was wishing him a happy birthday. So sorry to hear of his passing, he will be missed.·From his·contributions to this forum, it·showed that he was a very helpful and decent man.

Ray
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-04-14 23:52
    Thank you very much for telling us and for letting us know some of his history. I was afraid that he had become ill when we stopped hearing from him. I very much enjoyed talking with him on these forums and was very impressed with his projects.
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2008-04-15 03:08
    Sad news. My condolences! He was one of the many experiences techies on here that seemed to 'hop-to' when a question was asked.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <FONT>Steve

What's the best thing to do in a lightning storm? "take a one iron out the bag and hold it straight up above your head, even God cant hit a one iron!"
    Lee Travino after the second time being hit by lightning!
  • phil kennyphil kenny Posts: 233
    edited 2008-04-15 05:06
    Thank you very much for posting this news regarding your grandfather.

I'll miss reading his thoughtful and informed comments as will many others here.

phil
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,662
    edited 2008-04-15 07:40
    I am very sad to hear this news, but thank you for it nonetheless. I greatly admired Sid's spunk and perseverance and especially his energy at 85 to forge ahead into new areas of knowledge. Indeed Sid was active here. 2716 posts recorded on this board, and many many more before that, back on Yahoo and e-group pages.

I remember well many threads where Sid both asked and answered questions and often ended up heading out to his workshop to build something everyone else was just talking about. ADCs, memory, math, mechanics, science, and onward, Sid was interested in it all. Once Sid built things, he was still not content, but went on to turn it into a small-scale commercial enterprise. There was the Stamp Tester and the "piggyback" boards.. Not so much to make money, I'm sure, but to share his handiwork and to keep active and involved. And of course there was his pride and joy, the super mill. He turned it into a PCB etching mill, and programmed it to mill traces from the copper foil, first using a Stamp as the controller, and then he lept right into the Propeller to make it happen. And you could feel the excitement in his posts when he reported success or his frustration when things weren't working out, yet.

I think he must have been a great grandfather and I can believe that he will be sorely missed by his entire family. And he also will be missued here and I for one will remember him very fondly.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2008-04-15 12:13
    We will all miss you, Newzed.
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2008-04-15 12:15
    RIP Sid.
    You will be missed by all.
    [noparse]:([/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Did you know that 111,111,111 multiplied by 111,111,111 equals 12345678987654321 ?

www.iElectronicDesigns.com

·
  • stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2008-04-15 12:20
    I can do nothing better than echo the words of the previous posts. My condolences to the family.

Sid surely helped many on the forums and he will be missed.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tom Sisk

http://www.siskconsult.com
    ·
  • Paul Sr.Paul Sr. Posts: 435
    edited 2008-04-15 12:51
    I am deeply saddened by the loss of another truly "Good Guy", yet I feel honored that I was able to interact with someone so willing to share his creative excitement. One of the most valuable tools on my bench is Sid's "Stamp Tester" - and I shall think of him each time I use it and the "Propeller Controller".

Thank you very much for remembering Sid's "playmates" on the forum! He will be missed by us all.

Paul Shahood
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2008-04-15 13:23
    I second everything Tracy said, and am also saddened by his loss. We will all remember how kindly Sid treated us, and how innovative he was.

Sid was one-of-a-kind, whom many of us only meet once in our lives. He was a testament to hard work, and he was dedicated to everything that he did.

He and I arrived on these Stamp Forums at about the same time. This was when the BS-2 had been introduced, just as a matter of reference. We both grew into the Stamp hobby, and helped each other along. He knew more about the circuitry end, and I was more adept at programming. This made for a great combination whenever we needed a sounding board for some of our crazy ideas. Some ideas worked, and others didn't, but we had fun trying.

Indeed he will be missed, and we all feel his loss. My heart goes out to his family as well, and to you (his grandson) most of all. THANK YOU for letting us share your grandfather, and we're all the better for knowing him.

With deepest sympathy,

Bruce Bates
  • Bill ChennaultBill Chennault Posts: 1,198
    edited 2008-04-15 13:38
    Dear Sid's Grandson--

It must have been a great adventure for you to visit him as you were growing up!

Our time on this forum only overlapped by a few months, yet in that time he helped me tremendously both on the forum and via e-mail. He was a truly generous man who did not hesitate to help those of us in need.

Not only is this the perfect place to relay the news of the passing of a great man--a man that actively helped shape the great nation we take for granted today--it is a testament to you as his grandson to remember his friends in cyber-space that have been wondering and thinking of him.

--Bill Chennault

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You are what you write.
  • UnsoundcodeUnsoundcode Posts: 1,532
    edited 2008-04-15 15:08
    I am sad to hear of your loss. He was so sharp I could not believe when I learnt his age, an amazing man.

regards

Jeff
  • sam_sam_samsam_sam_sam Posts: 2,286
    edited 2008-04-15 16:37
    NEWZED's grandson

Bill Chennault
    This is·the perfect place to relay the news of the passing of a great man

This is the right Place

······················································· cry.gif

I am sad by the news but I am glad that you took the time to share it with us

······················································ smile.gif

I also think of him when I use the Data Logger that he built for me that we use here where I work which still works very well

I enjoyed reading NEWZED·post on the Forum and the project that he was working and thing that he would ask

He will be missed

·

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ··Thanks for any·idea.gif·that you may have and all of your time finding them

·
    ·
    ·
    ·
    Sam
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2008-04-15 18:21
    Parallax has lost a valued friend and customer. Sid’s contributions go without saying as well as his attention to detail and willingness to share. He will be missed by us all.· The thread can stay.· This forum was Sid's second home, I'm sure.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • Steph LindsaySteph Lindsay Posts: 767
    edited 2008-04-15 18:50
    Indeed, Sid will be missed by all of us at Parallax. We extend our condolences to you and your family.

We in the Education Department had the pleasure of working with Sid on many projects, some of them his and some of them for Parallax. In fact, you will find Sid Weaver's name in print as a Special Contributor in several of our Stamps in Class books, as he was always ready to volunteer as a beta-tester for our new products. His contributions, spirit, and generosity will be sorely missed.

-Stephanie Lindsay
    Editor, Parallax Inc.
  • StarManStarMan Posts: 306
    edited 2008-04-15 22:16
    My condolences to you and your family.·· Sid was a great guy.· He will be sorely missed.· I treasure the boards he made for me on his Supermill.

Chris I.
  • ZootZoot Posts: 2,227
    edited 2008-04-15 22:32
    My sincere condolences to you and your family. Sid AKA Newzed was a treasure here and will be missed...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. -- HST

1uffakind.com/robots/povBitMapBuilder.php
    1uffakind.com/robots/resistorLadder.php
  • Fe2o3FishFe2o3Fish Posts: 170
    edited 2008-04-15 22:42
    On his last birthday I invited Sid, if he got back to Texas, to stop by and I'd take him
    into town to a drug store that still had old-style soda fountains. He couldn't believe
    that they still existed. I'm sorry to hear he won't be coming 'round.

Rest In Peace, Sid. All the heartfelt condolences to his family and friends! ;-(

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    -Rusty-
    --
    Rusty Haddock <=> AE5AE
    **Out yonder in the Van Alstyne (TX) Metropolitan Area**
    Microsoft is to software what McDonalds is to gourmet cooking
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2008-04-15 23:36
    Dear NEWZED's grandson,

Within Parallax Sid's projects were always known and we spoke with him many times through the recent years. We have much respect for Sid because of his enthusiasm for electronics at 80+ years of age and his appreciation for simply being alive. He demonstrated to us the right way to grow old.

The last time I talked with Sid we sent him a bunch of RFID tags for a hobby project, about the time the last big hurricane came ripping through Florida.

Thank you for taking the the time to find the forums and share the information of his passing.

Sincerely,

Ken Gracey
  • Jeff MartinJeff Martin Posts: 757
    edited 2008-04-16 14:25
    Thank you for letting us know, Sid's grandson.· This is definitely the right place and we appreciate you taking the time to post here.

I am deeply saddened by the loss of Sid.· He's been an active Parallax customer since almost "day one" for me here at Parallax.· In the early years I spent a lot of pleasant time with him on the phone and over email discussing his questions and projects; it was always enjoyable for me.·

And to find out how he has served us (our country) way before I was ever conceived is touching and brings even more honor to his name.

We will miss you, Sid.·

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Jeff Martin

· Sr. Software Engineer
    · Parallax, Inc.
  • edited 2008-04-16 15:47
    I’m sorry to hear about Sid’s passing. I never had any contact with him, but read many of his posts eagerly. And now after reading about his history, I’m even more taken back.

Sid and his whole generation lived through incredible times. I truly think they saw and created more change in their lifetimes then what any future or past generation could ever dream of. I wonder if Sid even had electricity growing up? Many from his generation can fondly remember the day getting it. Possibly not having electricity as a youth, to be a nuclear technician later in life; incredible.

Take Care Sid.
  • hmlittle59hmlittle59 Posts: 404
    edited 2008-04-16 21:32
    I'm sorry to hear of Sid's passing. I was asking for help about which Layout software to use through this FORUM and Sid was the only one to jump in and help me with the suggestion to use ExpressPCB and any help that I needed, I am so thankful for that. I was pulling my hair out trying to get the other programs to work for me and he was willing to help in any way he could, even giving me his phone number. That was a great gesture. We corresponded about 5 to 8 times before he said that he would just do the board himself for me within two (2) days, that was just before he took ill. Then I got an E-mail from you about his illness and being in the hospital.

I'm so sad to hear that he never recovered from his illness. Some knew him for a while through this and other forums, but I only knew him for a short while and as far as I'm concerned he was a GREAT guy.

Thanks Sid...my prayers are with you and your family.

Rest in Peace SID.
  • Future_EngineerFuture_Engineer Posts: 25
    edited 2008-04-17 05:44
    I might not know him, but I am very sad to hear that!
    God bless you Sid's grandson, and my prayers with you!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ~Swimming in·the ocean·of Electronic Engineering~
  • dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2008-04-18 14:08
    We are all going to miss Sid very much and I'm·sad to hear that he is no longer with us.· Sid was a truly remarkable man, he had a great presence on forums.· I had the pleasure of working with Sid when I first started working here at Parallax.· I sure am going to miss him.

Our prayers are with you.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Parallax Tech Support·
  • bambinobambino Posts: 789
    edited 2008-04-18 15:04
    Thank you for posting this here. My first dealing with Sid was when the he wanted answers about the PropStamp. I had been on the beta test group and had one before he could buy one. I mailed mine to him, and his excitement in conversations about it gave me the impression I was talking to a very young man. To hear his age and experience truly has made me stop and think today.
    I have been blessed even though I didn't meet him personally.
  • Shawn LoweShawn Lowe Posts: 635
    edited 2008-04-18 15:10
    Thank you for posting this, as all of us that work with the Stamp, Propeller, and SX chips are lessened with the passing of one who shared his knowledge so freely. Heaven is now a better place, RIP Sid.

My condolences to your families.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Shawn Lowe

Maybe I should have waited to do that......
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2008-04-18 21:24
    Sid was a long valued customer of Parallax and graciously provided us feedback on various things throughout the years. He was the first customer to call me when I became employed with Parallax, and I will miss his quirky view on life and electronics. I was quite saddened to hear he passed away, but consoled·to hear it was a peaceful transition. Hopefully his family understands that the number of people he affected was great and that his presence will be sorely missed.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • FORDFORD Posts: 221
    edited 2008-04-24 04:37
    Hi Sids Grandson,
    Sorry to hear the sad news of his passing.

I would like to pass on my respects to an obviously extremely nice person, and a wonderful servant to his country.
    We have our annual ANZAC memorial day·here in Australia tomorrow (25th April). We set aside the day to remember those who fought,·and made it possible for us to enjoy the quality of life we have today. We are forever in debt to them.
    Sid is one of these wonderful people, and we say thanks.

You must be very proud of him, you·would have some wonderful memories that will last forever.

RIP Sid,
    Lest we forget.

Regards,
    Chris Anderson.
    Western Australia.
  • TomvnTomvn Posts: 103
    edited 2008-04-24 16:47
    I am new here ,and might not know him, but feel sad to here that !
    my prayers with you.
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,662
    edited 2008-04-24 16:54
    I liked this tag line Sid added to his more recent posts, he should know...

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift.
    That is why they call it the present.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com