Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller Cordless Phone — Parallax Forums

Propeller Cordless Phone

william chanwilliam chan Posts: 1,326
edited 2008-04-14 21:44 in Propeller 1
Hi,

I am thinking of making a Propeller based cordless phone which talks to a base station through RF or IR.
The base station then interfaces to a IP PABX like Asterisk.

Would such a product be too ambitious?

Thanks.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
www.fd.com.my
www.mercedes.com.my

Comments

• VIRANDVIRAND Posts: 656
    edited 2008-04-14 04:39
    Anything is possible if you know how to do it.
    It seems to me that cordless phone tech is simple and widely understood...
    But does anyone know as much about how VoIP works (as is necessary to build it from scratch) ?
  • stevenmess2004stevenmess2004 Posts: 1,102
    edited 2008-04-14 07:06
    Depends on exactly what you want to do. If you want to have the prop do everything than it will be quite difficult as you will have to find the protocol to use and then write some asm to get the sound into the right format which could be pretty hard. If you don't mind including a computer in the loop though it shouldn't be too hard.
  • QuattroRS4QuattroRS4 Posts: 916
    edited 2008-04-14 08:35
    William ... Asterisk is very cool and open source .. I'll just drop a link to it for info sake ..

www.asterisk.org/

Regards,
    John Twomey

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Necessity is the mother of invention'
  • Ken PetersonKen Peterson Posts: 806
    edited 2008-04-14 13:36
    I curious as to what functions of the phone are to be handled by the propeller..· Is it just the user interface and general device control, or did you plan to have it handle the audio and RF as well?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

The more I know, the more I know I don't know.· Is this what they call Wisdom?
  • PerryPerry Posts: 253
    edited 2008-04-14 14:30
    I know asterisk fairly well, my new business is to do asterisk installations.
    As for the propeller and telephones I have ulaw or alaw decoders working (based on "raymans" code).
    I only wanted some simple audio compression schemes, but can not seem to get an adpcm decoder working.

The real question is why go through all the work for a telephone since they are all so cheap now.

I can not think of a compelling functional specification that would warrant much more work with than this.

Perry
  • Matthew HayMatthew Hay Posts: 63
    edited 2008-04-14 21:44
    The real question is why go through all the work for a telephone since they are all so cheap now.
    Some of the most fun projects are·sometimes the ones that do not make sense to do.

Like this one:· http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=286
    (They do have a tutorial on it but you get the idea just from the link)

Sounds like a cool project to me :P