Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
problem with propeller — Parallax Forums

problem with propeller

sticktradersticktrader Posts: 15
edited 2008-04-22 00:42 in Propeller 1
I have both the Propellar Education kit and the 64uOled ands the problem I have is my prop plug will not recognize the` propeller chip on either product.· Is the problem with my prop plug?· If so how can I check it?· I do have the USB oscilloscope. Help!

Comments

• stevenmess2004stevenmess2004 Posts: 1,102
    edited 2008-04-13 04:34
    Hi sticktrader and welcome to the forums

Would you be able to post a picture of your setup so that we can check if everything is wired up properly? Does your computer find the prop plug?
  • James LongJames Long Posts: 1,181
    edited 2008-04-13 05:54
    sticktrader said...
    I have both the Propellar Education kit and the 64uOled ands the problem I have is my prop plug will not recognize the` propeller chip on either product.· Is the problem with my prop plug?· If so how can I check it?· I do have the USB oscilloscope. Help!
    Stick,

You should make sure you have the USB drivers installed for the prop plug. Start with the simple things first. I had to state it, because you didn't mention it.

James L

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    James L

Partner/Designer
    Lil Brother LLC (SMT Assembly Services)
  • sticktradersticktrader Posts: 15
    edited 2008-04-13 20:02
    I have tried the USB driver and no luck and I also think it is not the driver because my Board of Education (usb) kit works fine. I also have checked the wiring on the Edu kit with a fine tooth comb. The power supply is definetly good because I use it to power my 64uOLED and it works fine but I cannot change the programming to the 64uOLED since the prop plug will identify the prop plug. Any more thoughts?
  • James LongJames Long Posts: 1,181
    edited 2008-04-13 20:16
    sticktrader said...
    I have tried the USB driver and no luck and I also think it is not the driver because my Board of Education (usb) kit works fine. I also have checked the wiring on the Edu kit with a fine tooth comb. The power supply is definetly good because I use it to power my 64uOLED and it works fine but I cannot change the programming to the 64uOLED since the prop plug will identify the prop plug. Any more thoughts?
    We would need to see the wiring.....or some diagrams to trouble shoot from there. If the prop plug is recognized.....I'm not sure what else to try.

Sorry I can not be of more help at the moment

James L

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    James L

Partner/Designer
    Lil Brother LLC (SMT Assembly Services)
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,162
    edited 2008-04-13 22:00
    Make sure you hook up the /Res line in addition to Gnd, TX, &RX. Also, make sure you don't have TX&RX backwards...
    edited 2008-04-14 01:07
    I think I wrote incorrectly on the 64uOLED the prop plug will not recognize the propeller on it either. This why I am thinking it might be the prop plug. I'll add a picture of mr edu kit.
    2560 x 1920 - 1003K
    2560 x 1920 - 1M
    2560 x 1920 - 958K
  • MarcusGMarcusG Posts: 6
    edited 2008-04-14 16:33
    Flip the propplug over. On mine the label is facing down and the USB connection is on the top.
    edited 2008-04-14 18:28
    Ok I tried the flip the prop plug over and sorry no go. Is there some way I can test the Prop Plug and make sure it is working?
  • hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2008-04-14 19:52
    Connect RX to TX on the PropPlug and see if you can get echoed responses using a Terminal Emulator application on your PC. I hesitate to suggest HyperTerm because that can be a pain to get going at times if not familiar with it.
  • edited 2008-04-14 22:50
    Hello Stick,

Row 1 columns a-f on the center breadboard don’t look right, but that may be a trick of the photo angle. That row should be jumpered to the row with P30, is that the way it is on your board?

Here's how to test the Propeller Plug:

1) Unplug the Propeller Plug from the board, but leave it connected to the PC's USB port.

2) Open the Propeller Tool Software. Use Help -> About to verify that it's v1.06 or newer. If not, download and install the latest.

3) Press F7, and the Propeller Tool software will show you the Communication Error message window. Click the Edit Ports button.

3) Watch the Ports list as you connect/disconnect the Propeller Plug to/from the USB port. You should see a new line appear and disappear when you do that. When it's plugged in, it should read COMX, USB Serial Port, Yes under the Port ID, Port Description and Present columns.

4) Make a note of the Propeller Plug’s Port ID, you'll need it shortly.

5) Next, unplug the Propeller Plug from everything and use a jumper wire to short the TX and RX lines. Then, plug it back into the USB port. (Do not try to connect it to any of the boards like that.)

6) Open the BASIC Stamp Editor, Click Run -> Debug -> New. Then, set the Com Port to the Port ID you noted in step 4.

7) Make sure Echo Off is unchecked.

8) Click the transmit windowpane (white pane above the blue receive windowpane), and start typing. If your characters echo in the blue receive windowpane with echo off unchecked, you know the loopback connection is functioning properly.

9) Unplug the Propeller Plug and remove the jumper.

If all these tests check out, it's pretty likely that your PropStick USB is working, and we'll want to take a closer look at the circuits on your PE Platform. I might add one test to check /RES if wiring corrections don't bring your PE Platform back in the meantime.

Andy

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Andy Lindsay

Education Department
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2008-04-22 00:42
    Hey folks I just wanted everyone to know I do now know it is in the wiring somewhere on my board. Thanks for all the help!