Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
propeller starter kit and uoled-128-gmd1 — Parallax Forums

propeller starter kit and uoled-128-gmd1

justin weberjustin weber Posts: 36
edited 2008-04-24 02:26 in Propeller 1
I'm having a problem getting this display to function. I have it connected to vdd and vss. I have a 1k pullup resistor to vdd on the rx line. p6->rx, p7->tx,p5->RE. I can't get either of the objects from the parallax object exchange to function. the screen displays the 4d systems logo and scrolls and that's it. If I toggle p5 it will reset and display logo again. I bought a 1gb microSD card(from newegg.com) it is a kingston that looks identical to the one sold by parallax. I loaded some bmp files and shunted the pins on the back, but nothing happened. What exactly is required to use this display on the propeller. One of the uoled-128 demo's in the exchange use fullduplexserial which needs timing.spin, but the only reference to the usage of timing.spin that I can find is a 50ms wait state, so I replaced that line with waitcnt(250_000+ cnt) because I can't find timing.spin anywhere. I have no idea what's going on with this thing. The only thing I managed to accomplish is reading sony ir codes from a playstation2 remote and from the remote supplied with the IR kit. I have some cool projects I want to accomplish, but I'm new to micros in general and this is a major stumbling block for me. Anybody have schematics or code to try. I don't care if it only displays one letter, as long as it does something other than a factory logo.

Comments

• RaymanRayman Posts: 14,233
    edited 2008-04-12 16:35
    AFAIK, you just send it serial commands... The fullduplexserial.spin that comes with the Prop tool doesn't seem to use any "timing.spin"...

Do you have a Windows PC and a Prop Plug?
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,233
    edited 2008-04-12 16:43
    Note that I don't think you can use a FAT formatted SD card with that thing... If you want to load up graphics, you need to use their "Graphics Composer" tool. It doesn't use FAT, so you can't just copy files to it with Windows Explorer...
  • Gerry KeelyGerry Keely Posts: 75
    edited 2008-04-12 18:05
    Note that no command should be sent to the display for up to 500msec after reset.

Gerry
  • SquigSquig Posts: 13
    edited 2008-04-12 18:26
    I've been using that display for a while and everything but readsector works fine for me.
    My version of fullduplexserial doesn't reaquire and other objects, are you sure you have the right one?

The demo code provided with the oled obect should work, it works for me.· The only other thing required is the clock object.
  • justin weberjustin weber Posts: 36
    edited 2008-04-13 11:32
    Well, I thought there was a typo. The diagram in the driver showed tx and rx on two i/o's, but in the code it had them reversed. So I changed the IO's in the code to where the diagram had them connected, when I reversed them I was able to run the demo. This bothered me for a while before I realized that like a CAT5 crossover cable, the tx and rx on the device would be switched on the host. I did venture over to the 4d systems web page to get the graphics composer software, but haven't used it yet. It seems odd that parallax charges 24.95 for that 1gb sd card, and newegg.com(physically looks like same make/model) was only $5 something. Anyway thanks for the replies. This is a really cool LED display.
  • justin weberjustin weber Posts: 36
    edited 2008-04-24 02:26
    i got it to run the demo and then unwired it. Now I want to use the sd card functions and I can't get the display to work again. I connected it the same way as before as shown in the driver program. All it does now is scrolls the 4d logo screen until the program starts to run and then sits on the 4d logo screen without scrolling. I've been wiring and unwiring for hours, no luck. I have it powered on vdd, but changing it to 5v does not change anything. on the rx line from the uoled i have a 10k resistor connected to vdd at one end.