Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Purchase Advice: LCD for Displaying Propeller Output — Parallax Forums

Purchase Advice: LCD for Displaying Propeller Output

FonziFonzi Posts: 17
edited 2008-04-15 13:39 in Propeller 1
Hello,

So I'm looking to purchase an LCD that will allow me to display output from the Propeller chip. What I currently have is the 4x20 LCD display by Parallax and, although it works just fine, the display area is quite limiting for my application. Thus, I'm looking for suggestions from people who've used and had success with other larger LCD displays. Since the 4x20 LCD display I have uses serial communication, that is what I'm familiar with. From what I understand, there are also other object files available for VGA communication (VGA.spin, VGA_HiRes_Text.spin, VGA_Text.spin, etc.). How much more difficult is it to interface with VGA instead of simple serial? Are there any additional difficulties you guys have encountered? Ideally, I feel I may be more comfortable sticking to a serial-based LCD display, however I am open to VGA if it doesn't represent too much extra fiddling around with. A color display would be nice, but black and white only would work just fine as well (that's just me being picky). Also, keeping the price reasonable is always nice smile.gif .

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• stevenmess2004stevenmess2004 Posts: 1,102
    edited 2008-04-12 05:47
    I've got a 7 inch LCD screen that I just feed with a composite PAL signal from the TV drivers. It works great and even has builtin speakers. Cost less than $50AUD so it was nice and cheap. The setup for th TV output is simpler than for VGA because you only need 3 pins instead of 8.

It is really to work with using the tv_text driver. You can just choose what characters you want where and there are routines for displaying numbers and strings as well. There is also the graphics driver if you want more than text although that uses most of the memory.
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,232
    edited 2008-04-12 13:35
    If you can afford a larger display, then VGA or TV is the way to go... NTSC/PAL LCDs are the cheapest and I think come in the smallest packages. But, if you have space and $$ a regular VGA monitor working with the 1024x768 driver lets you easily display a lot of information. If it's just text you want to display, then the VGA_HiRes_Test should work fine....
  • FonziFonzi Posts: 17
    edited 2008-04-14 20:32
    Thanks for the replies. I actually have an old VGA LCD monitor I used to use lying around, you're saying I could use that? How would it connect to the Propeller chip? I know for serial you just need a power supply and to connect 1 pin as Rx. Does VGA have any additional requirements?

And Steven,·would you mind linking me or giving me the model of the 7 inch LCD you bought?·Also, is there·a reason to choose PAL over NTSC, or vice versa? Any implementation differences?

Thanks!
    edited 2008-04-14 21:12
    I'll get you the model number tonight when I get back from work but it is just a 7" lcd for use with portable DVD players. NTSC would be a better choice as there are some games and drivers that only do NTSC. However, there was an update to the tv driver that fixed some problems with the PAL side of things. The hardware for both is the same. Just 3 resistors or 4 if you want to do broadcast + audio.

For VGA you just need 8 resistors. Have a look at the demo board schematic. It has everything you need.
  • WinWin Posts: 21
    edited 2008-04-15 02:35
    Here's a little monitor hack you can build...sets you back about $25. I made one and it works great
    with Prop composite. http://tinyurl.com/3nkcfn
    There's a link on my page to the instructions. Win
  • Beanie2kBeanie2k Posts: 83
    edited 2008-04-15 05:11
    Win said...

Here's a little monitor hack you can build...sets you back about $25. I made one and it works great
    with Prop composite. http://tinyurl.com/3nkcfn
    There's a link on my page to the instructions. Win
    I get a "You are not authorized to view this page" when I go to that URL.

EDIT: Works from a different PC. Thanks. cool.gif

Post Edited (Beanie2k) : 4/15/2008 2:29:10 PM GMT
    edited 2008-04-15 12:10
    I got my display from BigW in Australia. It is an AWA LCM70QE. Made in China of course. Comes with 240VAC and car power packs. Does PAL colour and NTSC black and white. Has built in speakers that are kind of all right. Screen size is 7" or 17.5cm. And it has a tick with N294 if it means anything to you.

Steven
  • WinWin Posts: 21
    edited 2008-04-15 13:31
    The link Steven provided above should work (not sure why you had trouble with the tinyurl).
    By the way, the audio portion of the monitor hack works too, so you get audio and video
    from this thing. Win
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-04-15 13:39
    Here's the URL for the hack.

www.orrtech.net/propeller/cyberhomedvdplayer.html

I don't think geeks has the cyberhome player in stock, but they are
    widely available on eBay.

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Getting started with the Protoboard? - Propeller Cookbook 1.4
    Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
    Got an SD card? - PropDOS
    A Living Propeller FAQ - The Propeller Wiki
    (Got the Knowledge? Got a Moment? Add something today!)