Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Posting Games — Parallax Forums

Posting Games

Parallel UniverseParallel Universe Posts: 46
edited 2008-04-11 09:09 in Propeller 1
I was wondering what people think the best way to post a game is. How·early do you think·should you start a thread on your game?
  • From the earliest stages of development, before it's playable.
  • When it's playable, but maybe not complete, or still buggy.
  • In its final version, except a few last minute bugs.

No matter when you release it, I would say that it is always a·good idea to edit the first post in the thread with the most current release. Updating the title of your post to reflect the status of the project is also a·good idea.

Edit: There was going to be a poll, but I found out the they're disabled...AFTER I nearly lost my text!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
·</Parallel Universe>

Post Edited (Parallel Universe) : 4/10/2008 12:01:31 AM GMT

Comments

• JT CookJT Cook Posts: 487
    edited 2008-04-09 23:58
    I think ultimately that is up to you.

For myself, I only post stuff when it is mostly completed, and I generally only download other peoples programs that are at least playable.

Other people will post really early stuff and some people like to follow projects really early.

For some people it is a motivater to post something early and watch people responding to their project gives them more of an incentive to keep on working on it instead of letting it die.

Other people (like me), the motiviation is finishing it up so it can be shared with everyone.
  • Parallel UniverseParallel Universe Posts: 46
    edited 2008-04-10 00:03
    Wow, I posted this what, 5 minutes ago!
    I agree, it is really up to each person. I was mostly trying to get a sense of what most people like to read.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·</Parallel Universe>
    edited 2008-04-10 00:09
    I personally like following projects early on as far reading the posts and whatnot, but I usually won't try it until it does something (like if it is a game that it is playable).
  • stevenmess2004stevenmess2004 Posts: 1,102
    edited 2008-04-10 00:35
    I like following the development but I normally don't download a program until it is working reasonably well. If people post during their development you can often pick up good ways to do things or things to avoid.
    edited 2008-04-10 00:43
    Same here.

Also, what are your thoughts on multi-platform releases? Should you always post versions·for the·Demoboard, Hydra, and Hybrid? Or should you post it for one, but make the source easily portable?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·</Parallel Universe>
  • stevenmess2004stevenmess2004 Posts: 1,102
    edited 2008-04-10 01:19
    My suggestion is to post for what you have but make it easy to change for other boards. Just make sure that all the pin assignments are constants in the top object near the top. Also make sure that the frequency and clock constants are somewhere near the top.
    edited 2008-04-10 01:59
    I would recommend posting source to the hardware you have access to, and document where things like pin assignments and crystal settings are so they can be easily changed. It is usually pretty easy to have something ported across most platforms, unless you have some wierd hardware add on.
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2008-04-10 08:59
    Hi,
    Don't forget if your making a multi-platform release, and are releasing the source, not to use stuff from Andre's book, as you can't post that source, and none Hydra board users might not have the book.
    As for me, I like to post when it's playable, nearing completion, but I did a kind of video blog with frogger, [noparse]:D[/noparse] that was fun I enjoyed doing that. and once we get PropGFX Lite out, I can get back to doing more games [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    http://www.propgfx.co.uk/forum/·home of the PropGFX Lite

·
    edited 2008-04-10 23:33
    I was thinking the same thing: post for the board you have but put all the pin and crystal constants at the top of a file.
    I'm actually working on several drivers a) for the experience and b) so I know I can distribute them.
    @Baggers: I really liked your video blog of frogger. That was cool!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·</Parallel Universe>
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2008-04-11 09:09
    thanks [noparse]:)[/noparse], will do another video blog, on next game once PropGFX Lite is out and I can get my little spare time back to doing games [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    http://www.propgfx.co.uk/forum/·home of the PropGFX Lite

·