Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Your input requested — Parallax Forums

Your input requested

Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
edited 2008-04-12 13:38 in Propeller 1
Embedded Systems Conference is next week, and I'm dragging out and dusting off the kiosk program from last year. I would like to replace some of last years demos with more up to date customer generated applications, but I am running out of time to look through all of the posts of the last year. This is where you come in, I would like our forum members to suggest projects of merit over the last year. The requirement is that it uses only those components availible on the Propeller Demo Board, ie sound, TV, VGA, keyboard, mouse and microphone, or has a trival hardware requirement (there is a SD card·connected to the Propeller, so·that can be accomodated).

Let me know by Friday please so I have enough time to alter the kiosk.

Thank you

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Paul Baker
Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.

Comments

• HarleyHarley Posts: 997
    edited 2008-04-09 21:22
    I have no idea what was presented before, but...

If 'tools' are permitted, I would like to suggest Hanno Sander's ViewPort logic analyzer+ and Andy Schenk/Eric Meyer's PASD debugger as candidates.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
  • stevenmess2004stevenmess2004 Posts: 1,102
    edited 2008-04-09 21:33
    The 3d hat demo would be interesting. Maybe a copy of maniac miner or some other game as well. Could you add a NIC and maybe hook it up to the IRC channel?
  • PerryPerry Posts: 253
    edited 2008-04-09 22:38
    The 8085 emulator and CP/M OS developed by "heater", that still leaves 24K free seems to me like a great demo of the power of the propeller to emulate older microprocessor architectures.

Perry
  • simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2008-04-09 22:50
    PropDOS - nuff said smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon
    www.norfolkhelicopterclub.co.uk
    You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again ;-)
    BTW: I type as I'm thinking, so please don't take any offense at my writing style smile.gif
  • JT CookJT Cook Posts: 487
    edited 2008-04-09 22:56
    You could use a couple of·accelorometers with my Pong game. If you wanted I could probably spiffy up the graphics to make it more colorful and such. The game as it stands though uses two mice to play. The tetris game I did would also work since it is already setup to use the keyboard for controls.
  • tpw_mantpw_man Posts: 276
    edited 2008-04-09 22:59
    I vote for PropDOS and the IRC client if a NIC is allowed. Perhaps you could use PropDOS for launching the individual demos. That is what it is designed for smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    I am 1010, so be surprised!
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2008-04-09 23:27
    I'm not quite sure how impressed people will be with seeing a command prompt staring them in the face, I guess I'm looking for something to make someone say wow, whether they are inexperienced and are sensorarily impressed, or they are experienced and understand the difficulties with implementing the project. Internet connectivity is an expensive per day surcharge (I think last year it was $50/day) that we aren't going to spring for, we're already being nickeled and dimed on enough things.

I will look into everyone's suggestions though.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Paul Baker (Parallax)) : 4/9/2008 11:33:11 PM GMT
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2008-04-10 00:10
    That led curtain back-ground project for concerts was great, and could be integrated in
    your display if you had the equipment or time to fly it in and set it up.

I always loved JT's Xracer game and graphics. Guess you've used it before though.
    Using two cogs for high resolution VGA is also cool, but not sure how you can "spin" that.

Now, if only Propeller could run Linux [noparse]:)[/noparse] Some kind of O/S running would be interesting
    to some folks. Having some kind of C demo would be useful.

So none of you Parallax folks has a cell phone or PDA that could be used for net access?
    Guess there are no guarantees about that working though.

Just some thoughts. Good luck.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    jazzed·... about·living in·http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_Valley

Traffic is slow at times, but Parallax orders·always get here fast 8)
  • hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2008-04-10 01:05
    Paul Baker (Parallax) said...
    I guess I'm looking for something to make someone say wow

I guess you'll be looking for a high-colour image display and a Vista boot logo then smile.gifsmile.gif
    edited 2008-04-10 01:58
    JT Cook said...
    You could use a couple of·accelorometers with my Pong game. If you wanted I could probably spiffy up the graphics to make it more colorful and such. The game as it stands though uses two mice to play. The tetris game I did would also work since it is already setup to use the keyboard for controls.
    Hmm, tetris would be cool but it might be a bear to get them off of it so someone else can play.· Pong w/ accelerometers could be do'able, is the program set up to use them or would I have to rewrite the driver? Souldn't be too difficult since I wrote the Parallax accelerometer driver. smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
  • tpw_mantpw_man Posts: 276
    edited 2008-04-10 02:24
    hippy said...
    I guess I'm looking for something to make someone say wow

I guess you'll be looking for a high-colour image display and a Vista boot logo then smile.gifsmile.gif

I might be able to hack out a GUI for selecting applications by Friday. Other than that, I don't have any other ideas.
    I think(being a mac and linux user) that the someone would be poisoned by Vista. Whoever makes this app could make it BSOD after the 'pretty' logo tongue.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    I am 1010, so be surprised!
  • JT CookJT Cook Posts: 487
    edited 2008-04-10 02:29
    The program is not setup for it since I don't have any, but I don't imagine it would be too hard. Just remove the mouse drivers and put in the accelorometer drivers. Also main spin program(with the Prop settings and game logic)·isn't very long so it should be pretty easy to add in.

If you have any trouble, let me know.
    edited 2008-04-10 02:51
    thanks jt, I'll look into the code soon and assess things.

thanks tpw_man, I actually have a program selector, this is the kiosk I spoke of. It works by loading programs from SD card. Pressing the reset button returns you to the kiosk program. If you have a SD card you can hook up to your propeller, you can look at last year's kiosk here: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=643397

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-04-10 03:17
    Thanks for the kudo's guys, but I agree, PropDOS is likely to scare newbies.. [noparse]:)[/noparse] <smirk>
    Use it to launch a pretty kiosk program.. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

HSS player, FemtoBASIC 'COLOR', Manic Miner, Unterwelt, Defender, Planetary Defense (yes it can be made to fit)
    (Not too many retro games, as we don't want to give the idea this is just old stuff)

Either the TV-IRC or the VGA IRC would be cool if you have an internet connection.

Bagger's original 3D demo would be very cool. The one that flies into a word.
    Also, Ray's graphics demo would be interesting..

One thing for sure, compared to last year's demo's you can blow them away!
    It's been a stellar year for Propeller development.

How many props did you say you were taking?
    tongue.gif

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Getting started with the Protoboard? - Propeller Cookbook 1.4
    Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
    Got an SD card? - PropDOS
    A Living Propeller FAQ - The Propeller Wiki
    (Got the Knowledge? Got a Moment? Add something today!)

Post Edited (Oldbitcollector) : 4/10/2008 3:24:57 AM GMT

edited 2008-04-10 03:25
    tpw_man said...

I think(being a mac and linux user) that the someone would be poisoned by Vista. Whoever makes this app could make it BSOD after the 'pretty' logo tongue.gif

ROFLOL! Funniest thing all day, thanks!

ONC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

• DiablodeMorteDiablodeMorte Posts: 238
    edited 2008-04-10 03:30
    Hmm, tetris would be cool but it might be a bear to get them off of it so someone else can play.

I'm sure you could easily set it up so the tetris game only lasts a few levels and then proclaims: "Thanks for trying out the propeller!" and then restarts.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Current Projects:
    Robot Control Via Skype API - Dev Stage(50% Complete) - Total(25%)
    Robot Localization Via Xbee's - Research Stage
    IR Tracking with Propeller - Research Stage
  • heaterheater Posts: 3,370
    edited 2008-04-10 08:07
    Nice of you to suggest PropAltair as a demo Perry. I was wondering if I dare do that myself in a tonge in cheek way because I have to agree with Paul that it's not very "wow" to look at.

On the other hand, may be there are some old geeks turning up to this event that would get the idea and would then be sucked into the Propeller world.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    For me, the past is not over yet.
  • OzStampOzStamp Posts: 377
    edited 2008-04-10 10:16
    Hi Paul.

You need to show some real industrial applications..
    Get some high volume customers interested...
    Get some real high volumes sales going... none of this 1 Prop here another 3 there type stuff.

Show what the Propeller really can do... read some encoders... move some stepper motors..
    Send some stuff to a simple VGA type screen .... mini PLC type applications...

Parallax needs to get this Propeller out there more in the industrial market.. this is where all the action is.
    People can build incredible powerfull add ons to commercially available PLC's .. co processor modules
    etc etc etc ..

Try and get some feedback from your industrial customers that you have in the USA and list what they are doing with the Prop..
    Maybe it needs their approval.. but I am sure you get the picture as to what I am trying to get across to you and Parallax.

Cheers Ron Nollet Melbourne Australia
    edited 2008-04-10 11:51
    How about?:

1. Propeller based MSFT Robotics Studio Boe-bot

2. Beau Schwabe's 3D accelerometer demo

3. One of the Propeller-based balance-bots

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon
    You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again ;-)
    BTW: I type as I'm thinking, so please don't take any offense at my writing style smile.gif
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2008-04-10 14:33
    Wasn't there a Spectrum Analyzer in the works by someone?
    I thought that was VERY cool....

And the guitar efx pedal.....it wasn't just the prop kit, but it was based on a propellor.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <FONT>Steve

What's the best thing to do in a lightning storm? "take a one iron out the bag and hold it straight up above your head, even God cant hit a one iron!"
    Lee Travino after the second time being hit by lightning!
  • Joel RosenzweigJoel Rosenzweig Posts: 52
    edited 2008-04-11 05:38
    I was most impressed by Chip's Speech Synthesis demo. If you haven't demoed that already, I think it would wow a lot of people.
    edited 2008-04-11 14:58
    I love the options expressed on this thread!

Anyone remember the story about the three blind men attempting to
    describe an elephant? The propeller is so flexible that everyone
    has their own view of what it is..

Ron sees industrial application, industrial control.
    Jim seems to see a challenging mini game/video system.
    My own first impression is a modern microcomputer.

wow... Can't wait to see what PropII does to this..

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

• KIHKIH Posts: 13
    edited 2008-04-12 11:55
    Hi there..
    Been reading this forum (unregistered) for many months now, and the Propeller's biggest power is
    this forum with it's members who are always helpful.
    A positive community is GOLD ! (Proud owner of a demoboard and 2 protoboards ! cool.gif )
    Maybe too late, but a few screenshots from this forum can't do any harm in a presentation..
    smile.gif
  • stevenmess2004stevenmess2004 Posts: 1,102
    edited 2008-04-12 12:04
    KIH,

First welcome to the forums.

Secondly, I think that you are right. I probably wouldn't have got my propeller if it wasn't for these forums (even if the forum software can be a pain sometimes smile.gif ). I think that Parallax know this and that is one of the reasons that the forums exist.
    edited 2008-04-12 13:38
    A bit late, but how about that 'video' demo that Baggers did - the one of Dire Straits' 'Money for nothin'?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon