Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Reusing my FT232R cable — Parallax Forums

Reusing my FT232R cable

oscarcoscarc Posts: 4
edited 2008-04-11 17:15 in Propeller 1
Hi all,

I am a programmer, not an electornic engineer so i have a very basic question that haven't solve even browsing the sticky threads.

When i was using TTL microcontrollers i purchased some USB to TTL (5v) serial cables form FTDI: http://www.ftdichip.com/Images/ttl232rsch1.jpg

Now i have purchased some P8X32A-40 to experiment with spin and i have no idea on how to reuse·the cables with the propeller.

The connections could be:
·······················
Cable RxD
10K--- P30
Cable TxD
P31

I put a 10K R· on the RxD (for TTL to CMOS) althought·the cable schematic have already one on RxD and other on TxD.

Then for the DTR:

Cable RTS# ---10nF---10K Pull down---NPN---ResetToGround--- RESn

Is this correct?

Thanks in advance?

Comments

• oscarcoscarc Posts: 4
    edited 2008-04-10 22:26
    Hello again,

Please, i only need a little help. Could some one tell me if this schemtic (in the attachment) is valid to avoid frying my first propeller micro.

Thanks.
    476 x 291 - 8K
  • AribaAriba Posts: 2,687
    edited 2008-04-10 22:55
    No your circuit is not correct. The seriell resistor has to be between TXD and Pin31 to protect from the 5V Level from TXD.
    Look at the attached GIF for a better schematic. I use such a circuit one year now, without problems.

Andy

Edit: If you can then use DTR instead of RTS, but the IDE can also handle the RTS to produce a Reset.

Post Edited (Ariba) : 4/10/2008 11:01:50 PM GMT
    476 x 291 - 6K
  • hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2008-04-10 23:43
    Ariba said...
    No your circuit is not correct. The seriell resistor has to be between TXD and Pin31 to protect from the 5V Level from TXD.

I always try to explicitly indicate where a TX or RX is to or from to avoid such ambiguities.
    edited 2008-04-11 07:32
    Ariba said...
    Look at the attached GIF for a better schematic. I use such a circuit one year now, without problems.

Andy

Edit: If you can then use DTR instead of RTS, but the IDE can also handle the RTS to produce a Reset.
    Hi Andy.

First of all thaks a lot!

I have several prebuilt cables from FTDI with only TXD, RXD, CTS and RTS signals, so i can't use DTR for the reset.·I will place a switch between RTS and reset to avoid posible comunication problems in normal operation.

My·last doubt now: as in your schematic, no need of using·a serial resistor for RTS, right?

Oscar
    ·
    edited 2008-04-11 10:43
    oscarc said...

My last doubt now: as in your schematic, no need of using a serial resistor for RTS, right?
    Oscar

Right!
    If the Transistor gets a 3.3V puls or a 5V puls does not matter for the Propeller.

But if you mean your 10k resistor between the NPN and the Reset: This will not work. The Reset Input has an internal PullUp with ~ 5 kOhm, so a 10k to Ground will never produce a Reset. A 1kOhm will most likely work, to play it save. And then you can also add a seriell resistor in the RXD line (1...4.7k). But both is not really necessary.

Andy
    edited 2008-04-11 10:50
    Ariba said...
    oscarc said...

My last doubt now: as in your schematic, no need of using a serial resistor for RTS, right?
    Oscar

Right!
    If the Transistor gets a 3.3V puls or a 5V puls does not matter for the Propeller.

But if you mean your 10k resistor between the NPN and the Reset: This will not work. The Reset Input has an internal PullUp with ~ 5 kOhm, so a 10k to Ground will never produce a Reset. A 1kOhm will most likely work, to play it save. And then you can also add a seriell resistor in the RXD line (1...4.7k). But both is not really necessary.

Andy
    Thanks again, Andy.
    All is clear now. I will try it on the protoboard this afternoon and, with luck, run my first spin code.
    edited 2008-04-11 17:15
    Don't forget to connect BOEn to Ground, only then the internal Reset-PullUp resistor is enabled.

Good luck wink.gif