Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
using propeller as eeprom programmer — Parallax Forums

using propeller as eeprom programmer

nicolad76nicolad76 Posts: 164
edited 2008-04-09 01:00 in Propeller 1
Hi,
I have my propeller working great with 3 X·24FC1025 but I have no EEPROM programmer, why not using the propeller itself to programm the EEPROM by receiving DATA from the PC?

Is there anything like that before I start reinventing the wheel ?? burger.gif

The idea would be to have a VB/C# whatever application talking to the propeller and telling what to do (read/write to EEPROM) so I do not need a reall EEPROM programmer...
Thanks
Ciao
Nicola

Comments

• Timothy D. SwieterTimothy D. Swieter Posts: 1,613
    edited 2008-04-08 06:23
    This is totally possible Nicola. I am not sure if it has been done before, but no reason you can't create it. Check the object exchange to see if any other code is out there that will help.

As a side note, I was recently on Cypress Semiconductor's Website. They have a device called I2C_USB. The device uses one of their PSOCs IC and it is a USB to I2C device. The device could be use to make a very inexpensive I2C EEPROM prorammer. I think you can get one of the device if you order one of Cypress' new Cap Sense Express demo kits for US$45.00. The device is also good for debugging I2C. just a thought.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter

www.brilldea.com·- check out the uOLED-IOC, an I/O expansion for the uOLED-96-PROP
    www.tdswieter.com
    One little spark of imagination is all it takes for an idea to explode
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2008-04-08 12:58
    Since the Prop is setup to read and write eeproms it is hardly a feat or reinvention of any kind to "program" eeproms, is it? Rather than writing a VB app all you need to do is to send the file in standard hex (Intel etc) using Hyperterminal or any other program. Of course it means that you have a very small program written to receive hex files and write them into the eeprom using a device address and offset. The I2C objects available means that you would only need a few dozen extra lines of code to complete the task.

*Peter*
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2008-04-08 18:46
    It certainly can be done. There is a utility called Hydra Asset Manager that does just this, under the direction of a PC connected to the Propeller. I do not know it the utility is availible to people who did not buy the Hydra book.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2008-04-09 01:00
    Here it is: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=628778

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.