Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller Proto Board Problem — Parallax Forums

Propeller Proto Board Problem

jpylejpyle Posts: 41
edited 2008-04-11 18:20 in Propeller 1
· Hello one and all.
······ I have recieved my Propeller Proto Board and Prop Plug, and cannot get it to recognise in the Propeller Tool/Editor. I have a DC battery power source of 9v and tried 12v, after looking at the regulator specs and have the correct voltages, 5v and 3.3v, where they are·expected.·· When·I plug the "Plug" into my computer·I get
· blue--red·, blue--- red·flashes on the plug when connected to the Board or not. My computer shows Com 4 as a USB2SER device. I have loaded the correct drivers for the ft232rq. With plug in place and power on, I get "No device found on Com 4" from the editor under "identify hardware".· Not sure where to go from here.
····· I have some experiance, but by no way any kind of expert. I have been using BSIIs, Picaxe, Pics for 4+ years now and have built two dozen, or so, custom boards for datalogging, sensor connection with gyros, pressure and light sensors, accelerometers, encoders for wheel position, and the like. I set-up my own power on board with regulators,·caps, resistor bridges and any other needed components.
·······I am reluctant to "test" very much·on the board, as this is my first go-round with the Propeller. I have let the magic smoke out of , at least, my share of silicone. (My wife says ,I, myself·am a "harsh environment" when it comes to electronics!)
····· Any help at this point would be much appreciated.· Thanks, John

Comments

• Ron SutcliffeRon Sutcliffe Posts: 420
    edited 2008-04-06 06:39
    I would not use 12v, but 9v is fine. (I use 7v)
    The flashes from the prop plug are normal when you first connect it to the USB port

Check Prop tools Preferences and make sure the Port is set to Auto (select)

Ron
  • jpylejpyle Posts: 41
    edited 2008-04-06 08:15
    Thanks for the reply. I have gone to the 9v battery supply, and the preferences are set at·auto, and sees the Com 4 as the usb to serial devise.· I would not think that I toastes the chip with 12v to the regulators,but I may be wrong. Still have same results. I was pretty sure the blue-red· blue-red flash is what it should show, judging from my other USB2SER ft232rl unit that I use.·I guess I will get brave and see if I can see any signal with my scope tomorrow. Then·I will order another board for comparison.· Thanks again, John
  • Ron SutcliffeRon Sutcliffe Posts: 420
    edited 2008-04-06 09:10
    John

Ok John, if you have not done so already, download the lastest Prop Tools Version 1.1 It has only just been released. There are some known issues with version 1.06.

I can't say that I have had a problem with V 1.06 but I am still running XP.

Also look on the for the thread relating to the new Prop Tool 1.1 (Re-missing Icon)

You need to guard against ground loops, otherwise the Prop and Prop Plug is petty bullet proof.

Prop Tool versions corrected, thanks Paul.

Post Edited (Ron Sutcliffe) : 4/9/2008 12:58:15 AM GMT
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,232
    edited 2008-04-06 11:49
    Make sure you don't have the PropPlug upside down...· (Prop logo should face up).
  • PhilldapillPhilldapill Posts: 1,283
    edited 2008-04-06 14:10
    What Rayman said. I thought I toasted my board when I first got it. I figured the propplug would plug in the same way as the PE kit on a breadboard. Nope.
    edited 2008-04-06 16:27
    Thanks All. I do have the logo up on the plug, after checking the board specs and seeing the question on the forum. I will re-load the newer software now and report the resulst. Thanks again,· John
    edited 2008-04-06 17:10
    One more thing is to try more than once... One of my computers has occasional trouble identifying. But, if I keep trying it eventually gets there... This computer used to have trouble loading to, but the new Prop Tool fixed that.
    edited 2008-04-07 01:31
    ·····Rayman, thanks for the info.· I have tried the whole hardware/Prop Tool/drivers·set-up on another computer
    with same results.·I have also scoped the·board with power (7.6v)·on, but find nothing. Tried identifying 15 times in a row on both machines with·two miniUSB cables. Don't know of anything else to test. I haven't killed anything in a long time ( I even use an ESD strap now), but I will not rule it out. Thanks again for all the great information.·· I will call Tech support in the morning.

···························· · John
  • groggorygroggory Posts: 205
    edited 2008-04-07 18:29
    The FTDI update on the front of the parallax website fixed the problem for me. (winXP, Lenovo T60) I had the blue blinky lights but couldn't connect in the propTool. Just follow the directions on the website under the updated USB section and it'll be gravy.
  • Paul Sr.Paul Sr. Posts: 435
    edited 2008-04-07 19:09
    Ron Sutcliffe said...
    John

Ok John, if you have not done so already, download the lastest Prop Tools Version 2.0 It has only just been released. There are some known issues with version 1.6.

I can't say that I have had a problem with V 1.6 but I am still running XP.

Also look on the for the thread relating to the new Prop Tool 2.0. (Re-missing Icon)

You need to guard against ground loops, otherwise the Prop and Prop Plug is petty bullet proof.

V1.6 ??? V2.0 ????

Secret releases?? Latest release I know about is 1.1 - and that's what's in the download section at the moment.
    edited 2008-04-07 22:05
    Paul, The 1.1 was all I saw in the downloads.· I am going to try re-loading drivers and see what happens.· John
  • RinksCustomsRinksCustoms Posts: 531
    edited 2008-04-08 01:31
    lol.gif·... magic smoke....

but seriously, you can power a proto board off the usb line going to the prop - i tapped mine before the prop-plug adapter.

It sounds like you have everything hooked up correctly, downloads are reliable with XP / XP PRO, vista wasn't compatable with anything·at launch, but has gotten better. If you ARE·running vista, maybe·u$ (microsoft) kept the compatability mode where you can run a prog in xp/win2k mode.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    E3 = Thought

http://folding.stanford.edu/·- Donating some CPU/GPU downtime just might lead to a cure for cancer! My team stats.
    edited 2008-04-08 23:49
    Thanks, yeah I am running XP, with all current up-dates. I am going to try with another board, with the same set-up, in a couple of days. I·have another USB2SER adaptor from Sparkfun, with a ft232rl, that recognises and works with other boards that I have built. I am tempted to·try it, however the output need to be re-arranged a bit. I may knock up an adaptor and give it a shot after the other board arrives. Using the Propeller board· cannot be this difficult, I have to be·overlooking something obvious.· Thanks,· John
    edited 2008-04-09 00:24
    Well, the most obvious thing is the power switch! I assume you have it on and and the green LED is lit, right?
  • Paul Sr.Paul Sr. Posts: 435
    edited 2008-04-09 14:23
    jpyle said...
    Thanks, yeah I am running XP, with all current up-dates. I am going to try with another board, with the same set-up, in a couple of days. I have another USB2SER adaptor from Sparkfun, with a ft232rl, that recognises and works with other boards that I have built. I am tempted to try it, however the output need to be re-arranged a bit. I may knock up an adaptor and give it a shot after the other board arrives. Using the Propeller board cannot be this difficult, I have to be overlooking something obvious. Thanks, John

FYI - in order to use the SparkFun unit, you will have to connect DTR to RESET. Both signals are available and it is very easy to do. I have one of them in my "traveling" kit and it works fine.
    edited 2008-04-09 18:31
    ··· HI, yes Rayman I do have a green light and pick-up 5v and 3.3v where they should be on the board.·I went to a 7.2 Nicad that I had handy. As I said in the first post, I initially used a 12v battery source after looking at the regulator specs ( and NOT looking at the 6-9VDC marking on the board).

··Paul, I am going to make up an adaptor for the Sparkfun 232 and try it this evening. I know how robust and forgiving Parallax products are, and still think that I must have done/not done something somewhere on my end. I will post results. Maybe I will recieve the new board tomorrow.

Thanks,· John
    edited 2008-04-11 18:20
    · For anyone interested, I received my second Propeller proto Board today, plugged it in and got imediate detection. I have an RMA # to return the first one, that never did work, for a replacement. Thanks·to all that replied.·· John