Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Program Propeller via BlueSMiRF? — Parallax Forums

Program Propeller via BlueSMiRF?

WinWin Posts: 21
edited 2008-04-18 22:47 in Propeller 1
Has anyone been able to replace the serial cable from the PC to Propeller for the purpose of programming (uploading) to the Prop? I have a Sparkfun (Roving Networks) BleuSMiRF module. I can connect to it and issue configuration commands, but would like to use it in place of the serial cable. When I try this, the Prop Tool just hangs while identifying the hardware. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Win

Comments

• Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2008-04-04 23:27
    Sadly no it can't be used to program the Propeller. Serial communications have two different ways to handle hardware flow control, Request To Send (RTS)/Clear To Send(CTS), and Data Terminal Ready (DTR)/Data Set Ready(DSR). The BlueSMiRF provides RTS/CTS, but the Propeller needs DTR to program.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2008-04-11 17:53
    Hi Win, I don't know if you are still monitoring this thread. But I just found out you can use RTS, if you set the Tool to use RTS in Preferences (Thanks Ariba).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
  • WinWin Posts: 21
    edited 2008-04-11 18:07
    Nice! I'll give it a try.

Thanks,

Win
  • bambinobambino Posts: 789
    edited 2008-04-13 22:06
    Hi Win,
    Please post any success you have with this.
    edited 2008-04-13 22:26
    I gave it a cursory try this afternoon, without success. I really didn't spend much time on it, but it locked up the Propeller tool...much the same as it did before. I'm hoping to spend more time and see if I can make any progress. If anyone else has any luck, please post.

Win
  • bambinobambino Posts: 789
    edited 2008-04-13 23:25
    On the bluetooth your using, are the default settings even using hardware control.
    I may be wrong because it's been awhile since I played with my eb500, but I think it wasn't enabled on start-up.
    It had to be put in command mode, turned on, and then put back in data mode before the RTS-CTS pins would work.
    maybe yours needs those settings saved to it's default settings before it will handle flow control.
    Maybe some one else can confirm this.
    edited 2008-04-14 13:31
    That's a good question. When I power it up again, I'll check the default settings. Thanks.
    edited 2008-04-18 21:52
    Hmm, something just occured to me. The Propeller has a tight restrictions on latency, the round trip for information to make the circuit may be too long for the Propeller to accept.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
  • stevenmess2004stevenmess2004 Posts: 1,102
    edited 2008-04-18 22:47
    If it is a latency problem you could make your own bootloader program. It shouldn't be too hard to recieve a serial data stream and program it to the eeprom.