Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
HyperTerminal/Serial Question — Parallax Forums

HyperTerminal/Serial Question

tom90tom90 Posts: 55
edited 2008-04-04 21:22 in Propeller 1
Hey All,

When·I close the connection on hyperterminal, why does it kill the prop momentarilly?· It kills the output from the prop for a little while then it will come back.· Is the prop being reset when this happens?· Is there any way I can make this stop?· This also happens when I close the port on·a simple·VB program I wrote·to read the the prop's output.

Thanks
Tom

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-04-04 21:17
    The Prop is normally reset when the DTR (Data Terminal Ready) line is toggled which happens when the serial port is opened (or sometimes closed). The only way you can stop this is to disconnect the DTR line from the Prop's reset circuitry. You won't be able to download to the Prop when this is disconnected. A simple toggle switch in the DTR line will do the job ... one side for downloading ... one side for all other communications.
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2008-04-04 21:22
    When hyperterminal disconnects from the com port it cycles the DTR line. This is the signal to the Propeller to reset. You will need to disable the RESn line of your connection to prevent this behavior. But this cannot be done permanently because the DTR line is required to program the Propeller.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.