Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Prop tool on OSX/Linux — Parallax Forums

Prop tool on OSX/Linux

jknilinuxjknilinux Posts: 26
edited 2008-05-02 12:21 in Propeller 1
Hi everyone,

I finally got a prop proto board! I was really excited to get started with it, until I went to download the prop tool. It only comes as a .exe file. I don't have a windows pc. Please get it working on non-windows systems. Tech-savvy people (aka parallax's customers) tend to use non-windows OSes anyway, and the number of non-windows users has grown alot since the new get-a-mac commercials and vista's hardware requirements came out. Has anybody tried using it with wine?

Just a suggestion.

Comments

• Harrison.Harrison. Posts: 484
    edited 2008-04-04 00:53
    This kind of request comes up every few weeks. A quick search on Parallax's Google search appliance shows tons of references to wine and linux:

wine: search.parallax.com/search?ie=&q=%2Bf%3D25+-ord%3Dd+wine&site=parallax&output=xml_no_dtd&client=parallax&btnG=Google+Search&access=p&lr=&ip=98.195.101.68&proxystylesheet=parallax&oe=&filter=p

linux: search.parallax.com/search?ie=&q=%2Bf%3D25+-ord%3Dd+linux&site=parallax&output=xml_no_dtd&client=parallax&btnG=Google+Search&access=p&lr=&ip=98.195.101.68&proxystylesheet=parallax&oe=&filter=p

Basically, it works partially in Wine. It'll compile, but you'll have to use a third party loader to program your propeller. You may have some luck with VirtualBox or VMWare, but that'll require a copy of windows. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Parallax to release a Wine compatible tool (not to mention a native linux toolchain).
  • tpw_mantpw_man Posts: 276
    edited 2008-04-04 01:52
    I love the Macintosh and use it for my Propeller programming. I use Parallels and XP and program it through the USB port using the PropPlug without any extra software. It is a ~$150 option I think though. That is for mac though. I have no experience programming the prop on linux. Your username suggests that you use linux.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    I am 1010, so be surprised!
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-04-04 02:25
    I'm thinking that this might be doable under "bochs" on linux, but I haven't worked my way down
    that far on my list of todo's yet. [noparse]:)[/noparse] With the constant requests, perhaps more of us should work on it.

OBC

Edit:

This doesn't look bad either...

http://www.virtualbox.org/

Here's a setup video

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Getting started with the Protoboard? - Propeller Cookbook 1.4
    Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
    Got an SD card? - PropDOS
    A Living Propeller FAQ - The Propeller Wiki
    (Got the Knowledge? Got a Moment? Add something today!)

Post Edited (Oldbitcollector) : 4/4/2008 2:41:54 AM GMT

• Ken PetersonKen Peterson Posts: 806
    edited 2008-04-04 02:44
    I got the Prop Tool to run on Windows under Virtualbox, but I have not yet been successful getting the USB to work with the cable. Might try serial eventually.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

The more I know, the more I know I don't know.· Is this what they call Wisdom?
  • hinvhinv Posts: 1,253
    edited 2008-04-06 12:35
    Hi Ken,

What version of windows did you install on VirtualBox?

Thanks,
    Doug
  • BradCBradC Posts: 2,601
    edited 2008-04-06 13:27
    hinv said...
    Hi Ken,

What version of windows did you install on VirtualBox?

Thanks,
    Doug

I've had it working for _ages_ on x86 linux using Virtualbox.
    I've used it with 2k and XP as guest OS and had zero problems programming via USB.

I've also had it running with WINE (though it won't load the prop) but my wine setup is pretty complex and uses odd DLL overrides and other black magic to hold it together.
    Day-to-day I just us it on XP under VirtualBox.

If you have an old copy of 2k or XP lying around, Virtualbox is free... Just do it [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Edit: I also have it running on MacOS 10.4 using Virtualbox and an XP guest. Again, USB programming works..

Brad
  • Spork FrogSpork Frog Posts: 212
    edited 2008-04-06 13:30
    I've also tried VirtualBox. The Prop Tool itself works fine (obvious since it's native Windows) but it can never find drivers for the FTDI port under true USB mode. Setting it up as a COM port seems to work a little bit too slow - the Prop resets, but the program is not loaded.

A solution to this would be to set up a shared directory using Guest Additions, then set the Python loader on a watchfile in that directory.
  • BradCBradC Posts: 2,601
    edited 2008-04-06 13:41
    Spork Frog said...
    I've also tried VirtualBox. The Prop Tool itself works fine (obvious since it's native Windows) but it can never find drivers for the FTDI port under true USB mode. Setting it up as a COM port seems to work a little bit too slow - the Prop resets, but the program is not loaded.

A solution to this would be to set up a shared directory using Guest Additions, then set the Python loader on a watchfile in that directory.

I have to say there must be something wrong.. really. I've done Virtualbox on linux with an XP guest on three separate machines with completely different hardware and linux distributions and the FTDI USB-Serial prop plug works flawlessly on all three of them. Can you access a USB hard disk or similar under virtual box? is the USB configuration actually working properly?

Brad
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-04-06 14:19
    The Propeller is timing sensitive. When you run under an emulation system, any delays put the download process "over the edge" in terms of timing. I've been able to download to a Propeller using VirtualPC on a PowerPC-based Mac, but any other programs running on the Mac or the emulated Windows will reduce the chance of download success significantly. Windows Update is one of the worst offenders.
  • Chris MerckChris Merck Posts: 55
    edited 2008-05-02 05:55
    Hey, I am just another user reporting that the PropTool runs under VirtualBox.

EDIT:
    Unfortunately it seams that the larger the program I try to program to the chip, the higher the chance of failure. While this setup worked flawlessly for the small demo programs (blinkenlights), it is quite impossible to use for large programs. Any help would be appreciated.

Note that I had to DISABLE THE USB 2.0 CONTROLLER in VirtualBox in order to get the Demo board recognized.

Also, I used an ueber-stripped-down verion of XP, so it cold-boots in 5sec. This also minimizes any timing glitches.

My setup is Ubuntu 8.04 / Synergy / VirtualBox / LifXP (stripped XP install) / PropTool with USB 1.0 pass-through.

Enjoy!

Attached: proptool being used with VirtualBox's beautiful "seamless" mode (by pressing [noparse][[/noparse]HOST]+L):

Post Edited (Chris Merck) : 5/2/2008 5:13:08 PM GMT
    1024 x 768 - 187K
  • Spork FrogSpork Frog Posts: 212
    edited 2008-05-02 12:06
    @BradC: Ah, but I'm using a Win2K guest. The only copy of XP I have is OEM, otherwise I'd use that.
    edited 2008-05-02 12:17
    hinv: Sorry it took me so long to answer. I'm using W2K under Virtualbox.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2008-05-02 12:21
    I just recently upgraded my box to USB 2.0. Perhaps that will help. My W2K installation in Virtualbox would read a flash drive, but would not detect a propeller. It didn't even detect the FTDI device when I plugged it in.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔