Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Cheap LCD? — Parallax Forums

Cheap LCD?

RaymanRayman Posts: 14,364
edited 2009-01-05 02:37 in Propeller 1
Anybody tried·using·$14 LCD at Sparkfun (128x128)?

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8498

It looks interesting because it has an 8-bit parallel interface.· I've got the Nokia "knock-off" LCD and it works OK, but it's a bit slow because it's just a serial interface...

Also, this one is very similar to the LCD used in the STM32 Primer.· The controller chips are from the same company and model#s differ only in the last digit, by one.

Only issue I see is finding·a connector for it...· I've emailed Sparkfun and they say they will have a carrier board for it "soon"....

Comments

• jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2009-01-03 17:52
    Hey Rayman,

Looks like the LCD you mentioned is no longer available.

Did you finish your Nokia driver? What controller is in on your "Nokia-off" LCD ? I'm developing a driver and my LCD has the Phillips controller. I need someone to test the Epson version too if you're available and interested.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Steve
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,364
    edited 2009-01-03 20:35
    Steve,

Here's a link to my driver for the Nokia LCD:
    http://www.rayslogic.com/propeller/Programming/RaysStuff/Nokia/SparkfunNokia.htm

I seem to recall that it has the Epson chip.· I think the Phillips chip is different enough that it needs different code to drive it...

·
    edited 2009-01-04 00:18
    Rayman,

Can you try this package if you have a chance? It's set for EPSON mode. No idea if it will work,·but works fine with PHILIPS mode. If you don't have time I understand. It is early development stage stuff.

Thanks for trying the package smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Steve

Post Edited (jazzed) : 1/4/2009 5:53:15 PM GMT
    edited 2009-01-04 17:12
    I tried it for you... It erased the screen but that's it...
    edited 2009-01-04 17:49
    Thanks Ray. I assume you changed the pin-out in the spin source. I'll be removing the attachment now. Have you had any luck with the other cheap LCDs? The B/W Nokia phone thing looks moderately interesting with SPI interface and speaker. Those $1 LCDs need a lot of pins; have you thought about them?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Steve
    edited 2009-01-05 02:37
    I was about to order a bunch of them, but they sold out (of the 2.3" ones)... I've got a really nice, inexpensive QVGA TFT one of Ebay that I'm slowly working toward getting to work...