Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
propeller plug+clip to send data backt to pc — Parallax Forums

propeller plug+clip to send data backt to pc

nicolad76nicolad76 Posts: 164
edited 2008-04-12 18:50 in Propeller 1
HI..
Quick question: can I use propeller plug or clip to send back data to the PC?
After all it is a·serial port, right?
Thanks
Nicola

Comments

• BTXBTX Posts: 674
    edited 2008-03-30 18:15
    Hi Nicola.
    Yes you can...but be advise that sometimes your PC could reset the propeller, specially when you open and close the serial port on it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Regards.

Alberto.
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,232
    edited 2008-03-30 19:01
    Yes you can...but be advise that sometimes your PC could reset the propeller, specially when you open and close the serial port on it.
    · Really?· I haven't seen that...··Was that·with flow control set to "none"?

I do see the Prop reset every time the computer is turned on. and every time the USB interface is connected...

But, I've never seen the Prop reset upon just opening/closing the port.

Edit:· Turns out my laptop does reset a protoboard when closing the port...

Post Edited (Rayman) : 3/31/2008 6:47:41 PM GMT
  • Matthew HayMatthew Hay Posts: 63
    edited 2008-03-30 19:34
    Check out EEPROM Datalogging listed at the link below, it uses a serial based menu.

http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=25&m=156644

also a lot of other good information in that thread.
    edited 2008-03-30 19:53
    @Rayman
    Sorry, I mean about the "demo board" connected to the PC serial port , with a dedicated PC serial software. Using "visual fox", it hapends although you turn the handshaking = none in the MScomm properties.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Regards.

Alberto.
    edited 2008-03-30 21:04
    I'm about to use my YModem code to send data as a file to the PC... I'll post it soon, if it works...
    edited 2008-03-31 18:47
    @BTX:
    Well, I need to retract my earlier comment...

I was just doing some testing with my laptop and it does reset a protoboard when closing the connection with Hyperterminal.

I don't think the desktop's I've tried do this, but now I need to double-check...
    edited 2008-03-31 19:33
    @Rayman.

It's all right, I've just only comment my experience with that situation in visual fox, and my demo board...after your comment, I think that could be my visual software responsible of that.
    Now, like you said, maybe is better to double check, or simply be carrefully at the time to use the propplug-clip... and only "be advised" that could be some inesperate "reset". (to avod a headache)

smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Regards.

Alberto.
  • nicolad76nicolad76 Posts: 164
    edited 2008-03-31 22:00
    Hi Matthew...I have tried it and it works for me...at least for my small applications..

thanks

Nicola
  • hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2008-04-01 10:36
    I don't have any problem with my Desktop PC Application resetting the Propeller, I can open and close Application and the PropClip port to my heart's content without generating a reset.

For applications which do cause reset, I added an additional PropPlug connector with the RES pin removed. An alternative is to put a Molex link in the RES line so it can be removed when reset isn't desired, and that consequently works as a firmware write-protect as well.
  • EricREricR Posts: 35
    edited 2008-04-07 01:18
    Here's an example of sending data to a PC via the USB line.· This works with the Demo Board.· I do find that my desktop resets the Propeller chip when I close the com port, such as using Hyperterminal's Call/Disconnect menu item.

The attached program, "Simple Serial Transmit.spin", just sends a "9" character to the PC every quarter second.· With Hyperterminal you can log this using the Transfer/Capture Text menu item.· This uses Parallax's "Simple_Serial.spin" object.

I intend to use the serial line to log data on the PC for debugging transient events such as motor direction reversal speed/PWM data.

Eric
    edited 2008-04-12 18:07
    freaked.gif
    Surprise, surprise, surprise!
    115200 baud is the top baud rate that works with the Demo Board.· The Education Kit only works up to 57600 baud though.

The attached post, "Full Duplex Serial Transmit.spin".·contains comments about that.· Note that you would only get 19,200 baud maximum with 'Simple_Serial'.

Eric

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Eric
    edited 2008-04-12 18:50
    Please also find a necessary object, "MonVars.spin" for my last post, "Full Duplex Serial Transmit.spin".· The 'MonVars' object displays numbers on a video screen.· In the case of the serial demo, it uses the same video pins as the Demo Board does.· The 'MonVars' object lets assembly cogs show diagnostics on the screen by writing values to hub memory.

Eric

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Eric