Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller Tool v1.1 — Parallax Forums

Propeller Tool v1.1

Tom ConnellTom Connell Posts: 6
edited 2008-06-10 02:02 in Propeller 1
Has anyone else noticed or reported that v1.1 although it assumes control of .spin and other files the .exe does not have an embedded icom for the association. Neither is there a .ico file in the directory!

I don't know how 1.06 managed this as I uninstalled it to install 1.1, but something is missing or has been changed here!

Tom Connell

Comments

• QuattroRS4QuattroRS4 Posts: 916
    edited 2008-03-30 15:50
    Tom,
    I can confirm that .. also getting sporadic errors .. runtime error 216 at 00462D67 ... and attached error .. Have not really looked into it just yet as it may be something that I have done..

Regards,
    John Twomey

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Necessity is the mother of invention'

Post Edited (QuattroRS4) : 3/30/2008 4:22:57 PM GMT
    524 x 132 - 12K
  • Marc GebauerMarc Gebauer Posts: 60
    edited 2008-03-30 15:53
    I have the same problem. Tried to set the icon manually from the 'tools' --> 'folder options' --> 'file types tab' by selecting the Propellor Tool app. as my icon source and got a message Propellor Tool contains no icons. I noticed that the the short cut to Prop Tool gets it's icon from

%SystemRoot%\Installer\{E7E88DDA-FE46-4F56-9090-E5B763D34349}\NewShortcut1_8D7F594683BF48D88D25733E17441404.exe

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2008-03-30 15:57
    Update on the error .. If i browse to a usb memorystick location and double click on the .Spin file - it starts the propeller tool - i can see the code - followed immediately by the aforementioned errors.

If I start the propeller tool and use the tool to browse to the memory stick location - it works fine ..

After opening the file successfully using the tool to browse to the location - I can now open it fine by by browsing to the usb memory stick -and double clicking on it - ·which caused the initial error..

UPDATE:
    The only thing I also did was uninstall Imagecraft propeller C ... When I reinstalled it and tried to open the file by double clicking through windows explorer the problem came back ... can anyone else confirm ?? Opening the file through propeller tool seems to fix the problem ..·but·installing imagecraft C and running it once - it came back .. again sorted by opening the file through propeller tool ... I have repeated this a number of times..

Update 2:
    After using the propeller tool to browse to .spin file location - to 'fix' the initial problem .. all I have to do to make the problem come back is to start Imagecraft C and close it down again - and the problem is back - go through the motions to 'fix' and all is well until I start Imagecraft C again .... Again repeated many times to confirm ..not saying it is imagcraft or the prop tool issue but repeatable nonethe less - perhaps other apps in combination with v1.1 cause similar issues· .. I am sure time will tell..

Regards,
    John Twomey

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (QuattroRS4) : 3/30/2008 5:08:25 PM GMT
  • StefanL38StefanL38 Posts: 2,292
    edited 2008-03-30 21:52
    Hello,

wow - i never thought that my "quarter"-knowlegde about windows, the registry etc. would be enough to find this error

I took a look inside the Propeller.exe with "Icon-Snatcher". The newest Exe = Version 1.1 contains only one icon for the software itself.

In the older Propeller.EXE there is a second icon for *.SPIN-Files (the Propeller-Hat with a sheet of paper) This one is missing inside the newest Propeller.EXE.

As an workaround i changed the key
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Propeller.SourceCode.1\DefaultIcon from
    value "C:\Program Files\Parallax Inc\Propeller Tool v1.1\Propeller-V1_1.exe",1

to

"C:\Program Files\Parallax Inc\Propeller Tool v1.1\Propeller-V1_1.exe",0

,1 changed to ,0 as the "1" says second icon and the "0" says FIRST-Icon

As there is no second icon inside the exe windows takes a standard icon.

This is just a workaround because the first icon shows only the propeller-hat. The missed second icon shows the propeller-hat and a sheet of paper
    like it is the standard for associated files (here the *.SPIN-files)

@Parallax-Team: could you take a look inside the exe-File about the second icon?

best regards

Stefan
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-03-30 22:57
    I fixed this by dropping a copy of the correct icon (see attached) into my C:\ drive and
    change the above key to "C:\Icon_2.ico" (include the quotes)

When you double click on a .spin file, it will ask you to associate the .spin,etc again-- Click cancel.
    Problem solved till next release. (Just make sure you've done this once before this patch to assign
    proper associations.)

OBC

Included in the .zip file in the next thread

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Getting started with the Protoboard? - Propeller Cookbook 1.4
    Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
    Got an SD card? - PropDOS
    A Living Propeller FAQ - The Propeller Wiki
    (Got the Knowledge? Got a Moment? Add something today!)

Post Edited (Oldbitcollector) : 3/31/2008 2:04:18 AM GMT

• Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-03-30 23:38
    While I was at it...

Here's a couple decent "propeller" folder icons.

OBC

Seems to forum won't let me upload .ico files
    Here they are in .zip format. (Rename the extension to .zip)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Getting started with the Protoboard? - Propeller Cookbook 1.4
    Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
    Got an SD card? - PropDOS
    A Living Propeller FAQ - The Propeller Wiki
    (Got the Knowledge? Got a Moment? Add something today!)

Post Edited (Oldbitcollector) : 3/31/2008 1:50:39 AM GMT

icons 62.4K
    edited 2008-03-31 04:49
    @OBC/Stefan,
    While the Icon issue would not have been a major concern - that is fixable relatively easily - but the other issue is one that seems a bit more 'core' .. I was hoping that someone could try and repeat the scenario on their p.c's to confirm ..

Rgds,
    John

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • kuronekokuroneko Posts: 3,623
    edited 2008-04-04 07:22
    Slightly OT but would it be possible to add a font selection dialog to the IDE? I run a Japanese version of WinXP which seems to result in the IDE picking up a proportional font and neither getting advance nor bounding box right.

TIA

The Paralax.ttf font is installed but looks slightly dodgy in the font viewer.

Issue has been resolved after contacting customer support. Turns out I simply had to change the Standards and formats to english.

Post Edited (kuroneko) : 5/16/2008 4:10:48 AM GMT
    725 x 329 - 12K
  • JamesxJamesx Posts: 132
    edited 2008-05-28 11:43
    Regarding the missing Propeller Icon in Prop Tool 1.1, did this ever get fixed officially?

Or is the method described by OddBitCollector still the only method for associating a Propeller Icon with a .spin file?

James
  • Jeff MartinJeff Martin Posts: 756
    edited 2008-06-09 21:23
    Jamesx said...
    Regarding the missing Propeller Icon in Prop Tool 1.1, did this ever get fixed officially?

Or is the method described by OddBitCollector still the only method for associating a Propeller Icon with a .spin file?

James
    The problem has been discovered and fixed in Propeller Tool v1.2; to be released today.

http://www.parallax.com/tabid/442/Default.aspx

Thanks.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Jeff Martin

· Sr. Software Engineer
    · Parallax, Inc.
  • JamesxJamesx Posts: 132
    edited 2008-06-10 02:02
    Thanks. I actually got an icon to work using the Odd method. it didn't work the first time, but then started working without apparent explanation.

Glad to see there's a solid solution.

James