Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Problems with Windows Vista home premium digitus USB-serial-converter Propeller — Parallax Forums

Problems with Windows Vista home premium digitus USB-serial-converter Propeller

StefanL38StefanL38 Posts: 2,292
edited 2008-04-14 06:46 in Propeller 1
Hello,

i'm using a DELL Inspiron 1721 Notebook AMD Athlon 64 X2 DUalcore TK-55 1.8 GHz with windows vista home premium
a Digitus USB-to-serial-converter with Propellertool V1.1 i still have problems
to find the propellerchip or downloading programs to RAM or EEPROM

i get errormessage no propellerchip found or porpellerchip lost on COM-Port 4

the devicemanager names the USB-to-serialconverter Prolific USB-to-serial-COMM
details: "ser2pl.sys" "serenum.sys"

How could this happen ? i thougt the download protocol is foolproof and frequency-indeoendent

who has a configuration under windows vista that works propely?

best regards

Stefan

Comments

• Jeff MartinJeff Martin Posts: 757
    edited 2008-03-26 21:11
    Hi Stefan,

I've tested the Propeller Tool v1.1 in WinVista Ultimate with the Propeller Demo board, but don't have a usb-to-serial configuration handy, though I wouldn't expect a problem.

Perhaps I should buy a Prolific USB-to-serial-COMM device and give it a try.

The download protocol is relatively frequency-independent, but there are still time-out possibilities on both sides (PC and Propeller)... this is probably due to some kind of CPU-time-jitter in the USB-to-serial-COMM's driver that it high enough to cause a timeout on the Propeller chip side.

Any suggestions on where to purchase the Prolific USB-to-serial-COMM adapter before I Google it?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Jeff Martin

· Sr. Software Engineer
    · Parallax, Inc.
  • StefanL38StefanL38 Posts: 2,292
    edited 2008-03-26 21:36
    Hello Jeff,

thank you very much for the quick answer.

Wait a little bit. I'm just downloading the newest vista-driver for the USB-to-serial-converter

Then i will have to make windows do his MOST FAVORITE thing: RESTART several times until everything is done

I will post the result of this test

best regards

Stefan
  • RinksCustomsRinksCustoms Posts: 531
    edited 2008-03-26 22:26
    Vista is junk... it's·still not completely compatable.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    E3 = Thought

http://folding.stanford.edu/·- Donating some CPU/GPU downtime just might lead to a cure for cancer! My team stats.
  • StefanL38StefanL38 Posts: 2,292
    edited 2008-03-27 00:24
    Hello Jeff,

it was a case of "never change a running system".

After installing the new driver nothing goes.
    if i tried to reinstall the older i got an errormessage something was wrong with the inf-file

So i had to make a system-rollback before installing Propellerttol V1.1.
    Install Propellertool V1.1 new and now it works "a quarter". This means one of five tries to download a program works.

if you really want to buy one here is the url

http://www.digitus.info/scripts/digartlist.asp?sebene=3&swg2=501&swgnr=50106&sowg1=50&sowg2=5&sowg3=0&sowg4=0&sowg5=0

But i think it is a problem of the age of this old USB 1.1 converter Type DA-70145

So i'm only interested in a solid-rock-working solution
    Which kind of USB-to-serial-converter works great with the propellertool?

My Dell Notebook has an expresscard-slot. Is an expresscard-slot the follower of PCMCIA-Slot ?
    would an expresscard-to-seria-adapter work with no jitter at all ?

@RinksCustums
    well i would like to use WinXP but there are no XP-drivers for the graphic
    so you may suggest why did you buy THIS notebook:
    it was the best compromise between price and features (1920x1200-Pixel-Display, WLAN, Bluetooth, 2GB-RAM, Accu for 4 hours) for 1066 Euro estimating 750 dollars

regards

Stefan
  • Harrison.Harrison. Posts: 484
    edited 2008-03-27 00:49
    I've used the 'Parallax USBto232' usb to serial converter and the 3 transistor programming interface with Vista Ultimate 32bit. I had no problems loading my propeller boards with this setup.

It would probably be best if you got a FTDI based usb to serial converter. They seem to work well in microcontroller setups (Basic Stamp, Propeller, Arduino, etc). I would choose Parallax's USBto232 adapter over an addon card.
  • Jeff MartinJeff Martin Posts: 757
    edited 2008-03-27 02:11
    I was about to suggest the same, the USBto232 adapter we sell.· It's FTDI-based and seems to work just fine according to those that have tried it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Jeff Martin

· Sr. Software Engineer
    · Parallax, Inc.
  • myoung5655myoung5655 Posts: 2
    edited 2008-04-13 18:49
    I can't find the vista driver for the usbto232 adapter in the download section. Can someone provide a direct pointer for it.
  • Robot FreakRobot Freak Posts: 168
    edited 2008-04-13 19:24
  • myoung5655myoung5655 Posts: 2
    edited 2008-04-14 06:46
    Yes, that was it. worked perfectly, and my bs2 is off and flashing leds smile.gif.