Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Connecting SD (Or MicroSD) to a Stamp — Parallax Forums

Connecting SD (Or MicroSD) to a Stamp

UghaUgha Posts: 543
edited 2009-01-01 21:47 in BASIC Stamp
How hard would it be to connect an SD or MicroSD card to a stamp?

I know there are several solutions out there for doing this, I'm just
curious how hard/expensive it would be to do it myself starting
with just a socket and going from there?

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2008-03-26 21:31
    Rogue Robotics has an SD Card Reader that can be used with the BASIC Stamp. As far as connecting directly the BASIC Stamp really doesn’t have the resources for accessing the SD card, especially if you’re trying to access an existing file system.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • BFMBFM Posts: 4
    edited 2008-03-27 22:00
    ·Sparkfun Electronics have a really small uSD card interface that interfaces via a standard UART serial port. Should work fine with the Stamp but example Basic code would be helpfull. For information on the uDrive visit:

www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8567
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-03-27 23:17
    Do keep in mind that the Sparkfun device does not include a file system.· It reads and writes 512 byte blocks given a block number.

Better would be a uALFAT from GHI Electronics.
    edited 2008-03-28 14:28
    The lack of FAT16/32 support may not be a problem for many simple data logging applications. The low cost/weight uDrive can just be used like a digital 'cassette tape' replacement.
    edited 2008-03-29 15:21
    There are some good Basic code examples over on the PICAXE forum about how to interface the uDrive. It seems to be·quite easy to interface·via· a standard·serial port and could be a low cost alternative to using lots of EEPROMs for storage.
  • al-spideral-spider Posts: 42
    edited 2009-01-01 21:30
    hello all
    can someone please post some working code for the umicro drive and the BS2 i would like to use this on a project but can't find example code .

happy new years to al l!!!!
  • al-spideral-spider Posts: 42
    edited 2009-01-01 21:30
    hello all
    can someone please post some working code for the umicro drive and the BS2 i would like to use this on a project but can't find example code .

happy new years to al l!!!!
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-01-01 21:47
    I've not seen example code for SparkFun's Micro Drive for use with a Stamp. You'll probably have to create your own. It shouldn't be hard. The Micro Drive just uses a serial interface and the BS2's SERIN and SEROUT statements should work. Because of the Stamp's limited variable storage, you'll probably want to use the Micro Drive's single byte mode. There's just not enough storage in the Stamp to use the sector mode.