Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Beyond one's own nose (STM32 Primer) — Parallax Forums

Beyond one's own nose (STM32 Primer)

deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
edited 2008-04-04 16:35 in Propeller 1
This seems to be more than a toy: www.stm32circle.com/resources/stm32primer.php

The ARM CORTEX M3 is considered to be the new "32 bit reference"; does anyone know how it compares to the Propeller?

They say this Primer-Development System is $32 - all inclusive (128x128 screen, USB,...).

----
Edit: Looked up prices (w/o VAT):
- 25 British Pounds
- 50 US $
- 37 Euro

----
Edit2:
Some benchmarks here (C: ATmega/8MHz against CORTEX/72 MHz = 1 against 170) www.stm32circle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=122
They can toggle a pin in C @20 MHz (= 4 instructions?)

Post Edited (deSilva) : 3/25/2008 11:14:12 AM GMT

Comments

• ColeyColey Posts: 1,110
    edited 2008-03-25 09:17
    Nice find deSilva!

Although I could only find it for $50.75 which still seems very reasonable compared to other dev kits.

As for comparison with the Prop, Baggers has done quite a bit of ARM development, I'm sure he will know how well it compares against the Prop.

Good to see you are still knocking around these forums anyway smile.gif

Best regards,

Coley

Post Edited By Moderator (Chris Savage (Parallax)) : 4/1/2008 5:35:04 PM GMT
  • stevenmess2004stevenmess2004 Posts: 1,102
    edited 2008-03-25 10:21
    Its an interesting chip but I personally prefer the propeller. Its probably a bit better for some things than the propeller but what happens when you want to do two things at the same time? I would also bet that learning assembly for it is a lot harder than the prop. Also, while it is a 32 bit processor most of the counters are only 16 bit. Just wait until we get the propII. Than we won't even need to look at anything elsesmile.gif.

It is a nice looking dev system but what about general purpose IO? I'm also not sure if the processor has an external memory interface or just the standard uart, twi, spi etc.

And for a site with some info about the actual core www.realviewtools.com/products/CPUs/ARM_Cortex-M3_CM3Core.html
  • RytonMikeRytonMike Posts: 12
    edited 2008-03-25 10:26
    Also the Luminary LM3S811 and DM320001 are worth a look and have better i/o access than the Primer. http://www.freertos.org/shop/
    But it is interesting that these are on offer from RTOS in the UK: is there something about COGs that make the difference?

Ryton Mike
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2008-03-25 10:37
    like stevenmess2004 says, it's a nice chip as most arms are, but, I just love the prop's simplicity to code, and especially it's multi-core abilities.
  • stevenmess2004stevenmess2004 Posts: 1,102
    edited 2008-03-25 11:06
    What other multi-core micro-controllers are there? I know that there is the sea-forth and another one that I can't remember the name of (lattice or something?).

With the prop it is really easy to set-up serial ports and things compared to the AVR micros where you have to learn what a billion different registers do and which ones you have to change and in which order and what else it will affect and the list goes on. I would assume that this is also true to a large extent in the ARM chips.

It is interesting to note that the ARM core supports conditional execution on some instructions like the propeller. There are a couple of interesting examples of using the conditional instructions on wikipedia that show they can give a fair amount of increase in execution speed and smaller code size.
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2008-03-25 11:33
    I like the Propeller for the same reasons as you give: Its fundamental simplicity and understandability. It is the best tool I can think of for LEARNING microcontrolling and expanding your applications by PASM and 8 COGs into the area of true professional performance. So to speak: It is just one chip, but it is SCALABLE (though starting with a bad initial price/perfomance ratio smile.gif )

But I had also to learn that it will hardly enter the realm of so-called (!) professional microcontrolling, which is defined by:
    - C programming
    - fixation on recurrent cost, mostly disregarding needed development effort (*)
    - need for comprehensive development environment, including version control, H/W supported debugging, and simulation, nearly regardless of cost.

(*) This might need an explanation: Project Managers just do not believe that one controller can be programmed "faster" than another. One reason is that 2/3 of development cost is considered to consist in top level design, documentation, and debugging - which is basically true... Re-usable components are considered a real asset to help here (which is also basically true), but this will increase the threshold for any change of H/W architecture considerably....
  • AleAle Posts: 2,363
    edited 2008-03-25 11:45
    deSilva said...
    (*) This might need an explanation: Project Managers just do not believe that one controller can be programmed "faster" than another. One reason is that 2/3 of development cost is considered to consist in top level design, documentation, and debugging - which is basically true... Re-usable components are considered a real asset to help here (which is also basically true), but this will increase the threshold for any change of H/W architecture considerably....

Jaja, but obsolescence helps a lot here. Most uC of the year 2000 have been replaced with newer versions or similar products. Just because the device is not cost-effective to manufacture or because the architecture reached a limit or because they wanted to sell more chips.
    edited 2008-03-25 11:54
    "Replacement" is something like this:
    8086 -> 80186 -> 80286 -> 80386 -> 80486 -> Pentium -> Pentium II -> P3 -> P4 -> Centrino -> Duo -> Duo II -> .. smile.gif

Or:
    PIC12 -> PIC14 -> PIC16 -> PIC18 -> PIC24
    The PIC32 is however something else smile.gif
  • Nat'nNat'n Posts: 4
    edited 2008-03-25 15:03
    I have one of these STM 32 Primers on my workbench. A friend of mine received it as a promo at a show of some kind.

It looks pretty cool and includes an accelerometer, a pretty nice OLED display and two usb ports (one for programming, one for interfacing to a USB master). There are a few sample user built apps out there that look somewhat interesting. http://www.stm32circle.com/projects/project.php?id=31

I haven't really done much other than turn it on and try the fairly lame sample apps and check out the available IO pins. I am thinking of trying to get an Xbee module inside the case and use as a remote display/control device. The other nodes on the Zigbee network will probably be Propellers.

I don't think it will replace the prop for me, but it is an interesting self contained package.

--Nathan
  • hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2008-03-25 15:29
    Thanks for the link deSilva.

$32 USD = £16 GBP ... Not bad for what one gets, cheapest way I can see of getting a full 128x128 colour display.

Anyone know where to buy these in the UK ? The online shop link from www.st.com doesn't seem to go anywhere.
  • ColeyColey Posts: 1,110
    edited 2008-03-25 17:18
    Hippy, Farnell are selling them at £25 + VAT

uk.farnell.com/1502504/semiconductors/product.us0?sku=STMICROELECTRONICS-STM3210B-PRIMER

Wonder if it can be hacked to squezze a Prop inside devil.gif

Post Edited By Moderator (Chris Savage (Parallax)) : 4/1/2008 5:34:48 PM GMT
  • RytonMikeRytonMike Posts: 12
    edited 2008-03-25 18:00
    Other UK supplier:

http://www.rapidonline.com/Electronic-Components/Integrated-Circuits/ST-Microcontrollers/STM32-Primer/80672

Always had good service off them, I recomend,

Ryton Mike
    edited 2008-03-25 18:27
    @ Coley, RytonMike : Thanks. What is it with this 60% mark-up ( then VAT and P&P ) which
    gets added over dollar to sterling conversion rates ? Us folk in the UK sure do seem to get
    Smile deals. It's the same on Propeller kit. Understandable for smaller companies with shipping
    costs but those like ST must have an infrastructure to move their parts around the world. At
    least Microchip usually sell at straight USD to GBP conversion prices.
  • OwenSOwenS Posts: 173
    edited 2008-03-25 19:11
    Hippy: Actually, according to DeSilva's post at the top, the US is $50 and the UK is £25, so it seems about equal. I suppose what you'd expect from ST, who are European
    edited 2008-03-25 19:38
    yeah, hippy us UK folk are always getting ripped off, which is also a pain when we want to sell stuff too [noparse]:([/noparse]
    edited 2008-03-25 20:01
    Never say die! You have the Queen, you had the Empire. You survived bovine spongiform encephalopathy....
    edited 2008-03-25 20:08
    lol, that all maybe true, but we still get overtaxed and overcharged on everything.
    edited 2008-03-25 21:17
    @ OwenS : I see $32 in deSilva's post which fits with all the ST press coverage which states an RRP, although Coley could only find it for $50 ( DigiKey I guess ).

Avnet (US) stock it at $33.98, Avnet (UK) don't appear to.
    edited 2008-03-25 22:48
    There are TWO edits in my first posting, correcting the wrong $32. But both edits had already been done MANY HOURS ago...
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2008-03-26 01:57
    deSilva, you're correct many project managers suffer from a certain type of myopic vision when it comes to choosing a tool chain. Many stick with what they are already familiar with or one which has an extensive library code base in thier possesion. Almost noone ever takes into account the last step of the development cycle: Repair and Maintain, and those that do think entirely that the last step only consists of in field debugging. Noone ever thinks about the cost of legacy and the substatial cost of redesign when a part becomes obsolete. Parallax has no intention of following this pattern of obsolescence, we have every intention of having the current version availible 10 years·from now and·beyond. The SX is very long in the tooth (I think is more than 10 years old) and we still do not see the end of it's life on the horizon.

@tax, I thought all Europeans got taxed to death.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Paul Baker (Parallax)) : 3/26/2008 2:27:14 AM GMT
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,162
    edited 2008-03-26 02:24
    That is an interesting device with a nice price point... Like an AVR Butterfly on steroids... I asked for a free one. Maybe they'll send me one?
    edited 2008-03-26 06:44
    Paul Baker (Parallax) said...
    .... Almost none ever takes into account the last step of the development cycle: Repair and Maintain
    There are famous books about this effect. The root cause of this problem lies in the commercial definition of "project". The task of the development team and the responsibility of its project manager will stop before maintenance starts - and also the assessment of its "success". A project manager short of ressources and close to a deadline will care soooo little about the maintainability of his product, except he happens to be the owner of the company as well...

The very last step in a product life cycle is called "retirement", and for some time known as being even more critical in our short-lived business...
    said...
    @tax, I thought all Europeans got taxed to death.
    Maybe better than a 10,000% national budget deficit.... But take care: one also can try both....
  • Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2008-03-29 01:12
    More stuff·in matching plastic boxes:

http://store.buglabs.net/
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2008-03-29 03:04
    deSilva said...
    There are famous books about this effect. The root cause of this problem lies in the commercial definition of "project". The task of the development team and the responsibility of its project manager will stop before maintenance starts - and also the assessment of its "success". A project manager short of ressources and close to a deadline will care soooo little about the maintainability of his product, except he happens to be the owner of the company as well...
    Nice to see you posting deSilva.

Gee, I've seen this happen so many times it made me sick ... literally ... chronic stress syndrome.

What I've also seen is that "programmers" care too much about getting it done they leave the "future enhancements" entirely for the next sucker rather than designing an extensible architecture. This of course in a later time·furthers the desire to just get it done because it's already such a mess. Some years later, you end up with something that is impossible for adding new features, constantly breaks with new commits, requires two days just to build, un-nerving times just to boot, three days for code reviews, a week of regression testing, and a month of "watchlist" followup. When someone tells you "yes, but the long build time gives me the opportunity to multitask ..." you know you're in trouble. The company often wonders why the best talent is impossible to recruit and keep [noparse]:)[/noparse]

A metamorphisis usually happens afterwards .... Leveraged buy-out because the company is worth more functionally split up than as one operation. Customers switch wholly to other company's product lines regardless of the institutional imperative (no one ever got fired buying from IBM). Steve Jobs comes back to give an extreme makeover after years of deterioration (best case).

Hewlett-Packard's signs on campus have (or had in 2002 at least) "invent" prominently displayed. This is a good mission statement with many layers of meaning.

One meaning is: "re-invent" ... if you don't re-invent to use emerging technologies or methods when the opportunity comes, you lose a competetive advantage that can be obtained with·the addition of fresh perspective from the bright young MSCS. Management not allowing for the "re-invent" is shorting it's own fate and hurting long term stock holder value. A machine in a manufacturing site needs good oil; so does the vehicle of technological advance: intellectual property.

Time to market is often key to secure the right to re-invent. So it's ok to let the product schedule drive when competition is overwhelming as it was for internet infrastructure in the 90's. The problem is that many people can not step back and define sustainable after being in a given situation so long ... stuck in a rut ... to understand the need to re-invent especially after it took so much hard work to achieve present results.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    jazzed·... about·living in·http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_Valley

Traffic is slow at times, but Parallax orders·always get here fast 8)
  • hinvhinv Posts: 1,253
    edited 2008-03-29 05:13
    edited 2008-03-29 09:03
    @jazzed:
    Some very good observations! Though a little bit off-topic smile.gif

I might - also off-topic - add this anecdote from more than 10 years ago.... It's not "maintenance" but "change of paradigm". And it's Davd vs. Goliath.

Our competitor was a "global player". They could have summoned as much power as they wished for this development. They used - of course - "PC-technology" (in the way IBM started their PC: use parts from the winners). Plus tons of nearly working software. It was $1000+ per piece.
    We used an at that time quite new concept (FPGA) for the most demanding functionality, put nearly everything in software, and used some very clever algorithms. It run on a tuned 8-bit processor. It was $100+ per piece, and worked. It was incredible, and it took a long time to explain to the customer that this WAS possible and that is was NOT a fake. He asked questions as: "But isn't it risky to use an FPGA? But is it professional to not use C++? But is it future-oriented to use an 8-bit processor? But is it safe to use an algorithm not described in the literature?"

We never had asked those questions... We wanted to get the thing done....
    I learned there some of the many aspects of product management ....

It could become a success because we had been a small team , and my boss was the owner of that company, and he had a "vision", and he technically UNDERSTOOD what we were doing.

But I think there is more: When building things from today's S/W libraries, operating systems, OTS components, you are aggregating MUCH more than you need. My personal opinion is that you REALLY need only 5% of the code of a typical PC kiosk application. I understand well that we are no longer living in a time where you ask: "Why do you need that line of code?" (Though I had to, when doing code analysis for safety critical software smile.gif ) The problem is, that no one any longer asks: "Why do you need that MODULE?"

And the answer might well be this: "Well, it is called from that and that module, and it had been always there, and everybody needs it, and in fact I don't really know, and just look for yourself..."
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,162
    edited 2008-03-30 21:31
    I think it would be nice to combine this thing with the Propeller. The STM32 Primer could act as display, RTC, USB programming/serial comm port, power supply, ADC, button, and accelerometer. The Prop gives keyboard, mouse, VGA, TV, SD card, and robust I/O.
  • hinvhinv Posts: 1,253
    edited 2008-04-03 22:16
    I just got my STM32 Primer in today, and it is a neat little platform. It has room under the hood to put a propeller, but there are 5 things that are kind of a bummer:
    1 It uses a fair amount of power so it has only run for an hour or so from when it says fully charged. I am guessing that the on screen battery indicator is not very accurate at all, and when I charge it overnight it will last quite a bit longer, but not as long as a typical PDA because the screen gets quite warm.
    2 The batteries overheat if charged too long (over 10 hours)
    3 The cover does not latch, and kind of just sits on there, This is remedied by a piece of tape, but not very elegant.
    4 It's orange. I am in Knoxville, but I do not like orange.
    5 The development platform only runs on windows.

Doug
    edited 2008-04-03 23:35
    hinv said...
    1 It uses a fair amount of power so it has only run for an hour or so
    It has AA batteries hasn't it? So it's around 1700mAh (can be half, can be double), which means it draws 1700mA
    There is a lot of step-up and step-down regulation
    2,4 V -> 3,3 V -> 1,8 V
    So I should expect 50% is lost, which means it needs 800 mA for operation... The clock is quite high, there are peripherial chips.

But no, this is not within the expected range, I should say...
  • Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2008-04-04 14:41
    The April issue of Circuit Cellar has an article about the STM32 series including a bit on the Primer.