Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Prop Demo Board TV Clipping — Parallax Forums

Prop Demo Board TV Clipping

LenLen Posts: 1
edited 2008-03-25 04:44 in Propeller 1
I'm new here but could not find the answer to this in the forum archives.

I just received my Propeller Demo Board along with the accessory kit. I have not done anything yet except hook up the mouse, keyboard and 2.5" screen to the demo board and fire it all up. The TV output works but appears clipped at the top and bottom, only displaying about the middle 2/3 of the screen content that I expected (The counting numbers are clipped at the top and I don't see the word "parallax" at the bottom). The VGA output also works, and I'm not sure exactly what to expect·there, but it also only fills the middle 2/3 of the screen vertically (not obvious that anything is missing, though).

The problem is not the 2.5" screen... it works fine with other sources. Another NTSC screen (dvd player) displays the same clipped video when connected to the demo board.

Anybody seen this? Is there something wrong with my demo board? Am I missing something stupid?

Comments

• potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,261
    edited 2008-03-25 02:31
    This is perfectly normal.

Memory is tight, so some of the graphics on the TV are not drawn to make room for the VGA. All is well. Load the graphics_demo.spin and see it in it's full glory!

I asked the exact same thing! Thought I would beat Paul to the punch [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Propeller Wiki: Share the coolness!

Chat in real time with other Propellerheads on IRC #propeller @ freenode.net
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,560
    edited 2008-03-25 04:44
    Len,

The "squashed" version is part of the test Program used at Parallax to make sure that all functions are working correctly.· As potatohead indicates, the test program is under tight memory constraints, so part of the video has been sacrificed and re-allocated to hold more of the program code instead. What you are seeing is normal.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.