Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller Education Kit — Parallax Forums

Propeller Education Kit

Dad_1953Dad_1953 Posts: 2
edited 2008-03-24 05:23 in Propeller 1
Hello everyone;
Before I begin I feel that you need to have some background information about myself am what I am trying to do.· I enjoy programming and about 2 years I started playing around with the OOPic Hardware.· Last April I was diagnosed with cancer and it has now progressed to the point that I will die from it.· We have had a year to prepare for this and I now accepted that I will die from the cancer.· I am now under hospice care in my home.· Currently My Cancer doctors say that I may live until the end of April; however it may be May or June If I am very lucky.· The setting of a future Death is not very precise.
·
I have wanted to play with Propeller chip for awhile; however I never did.· Now that I spend most of my day at home and not doing anything to keep my brain exercised, I think it would be fun to start programming again; however I find that I can no longer perform adequate soldering because of hand trimmers when I try to concentrate on the job of soldering.
·
I have been thinking of purchasing the Propeller Education Kit and working all their labs.· This should give me a good foundation.· I have read several of them as they were released and this looks like a good starting point.
·
Because of insurance issues I find that my cancer bills exceed anything that I will be able to pay off.· I am no long collecting a pay check so cost is very important.· It looks like I can purchase the Propeller Education Kit (Item code 32305) for $79.95.
·
I also see there are two other parts kits (Item code 130-32000) for $24.95 and (Item code 130-32305) for $42.95.
·
It appears that I will need to purchase the parts kits (Item code 130-32000) for $24.95 to be able to run some of the more advance labs in the Propeller Education Kit.
·
If I am just working the PE Labs Do I need to spend the extra money for a display (LCD or AV) or possible a small keyboard.
·
Using the following conditions I would like some recommendations.
1.······ While I am in home hospice care I would like to stop vegetation in front of the TV and start exercising my brain. (Some of the cancer has started affecting my thinking processes.)· Some people may ask why I would want to start something new, knowing that I could be dead in a few weeks. ··Answer; I have accepted that I am dyeing from my cancer and I am ready to move to the next level and be with GOD.
2.······ I would like to start trying to ·program for the Propeller chip, knowing there is a very good chance that I will die before I am able to finish all the labs Propeller Education Kit.
3.······ It appears that I could get started for Propeller Education Kit (Item code 32305) for $79.95 + parts kits (Item code 130-32000) for $24.95 to be able to run some of the more advance labs in the Propeller Education Kit = $104.90

Is the Propeller Education Kit the best way to go?
Should I get Item code 130-32000 for $24.95 to be able to run some of the more advance labs in the Propeller Education Kit?
Do I need to rethink what I want to do?
I hope I am making since today because I had to use a little more pain medication then I would normally use.

Steve

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-03-24 04:21
    All you need is the Propeller Education Kit. This includes the Parts Kit as part of it. I think you'll find it interesting and you'll learn a lot that you might not have known before. Do ask if you have questions as you go along, but the tutorials are well written.

Since you have a bit of a tremor, you should have a small needle nosed pliers to help insert the wires into the breadboard. Radio Shack has an adequate one. Don't forget a wire stripper and small diagonal cutter to shorten the leads from the wires and components if you want something to look neat.

Needle nose pliers $6: www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062797&cp=&sr=1&origkw=wire+cutter&kw=wire+cutter&parentPage=search
    Wire cutter $6: www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062764&cp=&sr=1&origkw=wire+cutter&kw=wire+cutter&parentPage=search
    Wire stripper $6: www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062784&cp=&sr=1&origkw=wire+stripper&kw=wire+stripper&parentPage=search

You don't need the TV or keyboard for the PE Labs although you can use them if you make or buy a socket that allows you to plug them into the breadboard. You would also need some resistors that may not be in the kit or might be needed for the experiments.

Post Edited (Mike Green) : 3/24/2008 4:27:30 AM GMT
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2008-03-24 04:42
    Hey Steve,

Welcome to the forums. I've recently started with Andy's labs and they're suitable for instances where you need to work in shorter bursts of periods of time, which it sounds like you're up against right now. Plus, during times when you can't do wiring or have access to a PC you can simply read the labs. If the wiring is a problem you could also do the PE Kit labs with the PropStick USB, which substantially reduces the amount of Propeller breadboard wiring by putting it all into the module.

I realize you're not looking for free hardware from Parallax, nor did you ask for it, but we've got enough customers paying for product that we would be pleased to get you started thanks to them. . . Another Parallax Propeller developer (Beau) and I will sort out what you need (along with any subsequent posters made in this thread). Considering you've got limited time let's get started. Please send me your shipping address ASAP (kgracey@parallax.com) and we'll get a package ready tomorrow morning.

We've got the tools Mike mentioned in the reply above. We used to stock them in our StampWorks kit so we always have extra sets around. We'll include them too.

As for questions you're going to have, ask them here. There are all kinds of people on this forum with interesting input.

Sincerely,

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Ken Gracey (Parallax)) : 3/24/2008 4:48:59 AM GMT
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,559
    edited 2008-03-24 05:23
    Hi Steve,

Please feel free to ask any questions that you may have. There are many people here in the forum that are more than willing to help.

Blessings,

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.