Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Another Prop board death, but not PLL — Parallax Forums

Another Prop board death, but not PLL

Chuck RiceChuck Rice Posts: 210
edited 2008-03-24 12:37 in Propeller 1

Just suffered another PropBoard Death. Thing is, it is not really dead. I have a program in the EEProm that reads GPS data, formats it and sends to a VGA monitor. That boots and runs fine. the GPS data update on the screen once a second. The problem is that it now will not accept a new program load. PropTool sees the port, but says that there is not a propeller there. If I unplug the Propeller Plug and plug it into another PropBoard, it works fine. I tried a second PropPlug with the same result. This board has been working fine for over a month now. I assume that it is not the PLL because the VGA works.

Any ideas what could cause it to blow like this? -Chuck-

Post Edited (Chuck Rice) : 3/23/2008 6:33:30 PM GMT

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2008-03-23 18:39
    Try connecting to the board via the BASIC Stamp debug window. Then check and uncheck the DTR box. Does your program start over? If not, you have a problem in your reset circuitry — maybe just a loose connection or bad solder joint. Try grounding the /RST pin momentarily to see if that causes a reset.

If the reset works, look for bad connections on the communication lines. One way to check for continuity is to short P30 and P31 with a 1K resistor. From the BASIC Stamp debug window, type in some characters. If they don't get echoed, you've either got a bad connection or your program is holding one of those pins in an output state. In that case, repeat the experiment with /RST pulled low. This will force the pins to an input state.

-Phil
  • Chuck RiceChuck Rice Posts: 210
    edited 2008-03-23 18:48

Reset works because disconnect/reconnect of the USB cable reboots from EEProm. Will have to try the others though. Thanks. -Chuck-
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,162
    edited 2008-03-24 01:00
    Strange...· Did you do any thing near the P31 pin recently?· Sounds like the RES signal from DTR is getting through...· If you have as scope, you might try looking at P31 and RES when you try to identify...

As a last resort, you could always program the EEPROM using another board (leaving the power off that one, except to the eeprom chip).
  • QuattroRS4QuattroRS4 Posts: 916
    edited 2008-03-24 12:37
    Chuck,
    What propboard are you using ? Can you give a schematic of your GPS to Prop connection

Regards,
    John Twomey

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Necessity is the mother of invention'