Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Ethernet on Hydra — Parallax Forums

Ethernet on Hydra

Jasper_MJasper_M Posts: 222
edited 2008-03-25 20:38 in Propeller 1
It's pretty easy to get Ethernet on the Hydra. All you need is a Microchip's ENC28J60 board, from sparkfun $35, and some means of connecting it to a Hydra addon card. I used some veroboard and a break-away connector. In fact, I put two female connectors on top of each other to raise the board enoaugh so the Ethernet connector fits between the cart and the board (see pics).

Pins I used:

IO4 -> CS
IO5 -> SCK (SPI CLOCK)
NETTX -> MOSI (Master Out, Slave In)
NETRX -> MISO (Master In, Slave Out)

Of course, 3.3V & ground must b e connected. The breakout board has a pullup for /RESET, so it can be left floating.

The SD card may still be used in SPI mode, since in this configuration, none of the pins needed are used.

Of course, TVIRC runs on Hydra [noparse]:)[/noparse]. The VGA client won't run, because IO 4&5 pins are used for the ethernet and they'd be needed to generate VGA too.

Links:
SparkFun product page: www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=765
Breakout board pinout: www.olimex.com/dev/images/enc28j60-sch.gif
TVIRC client: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=716355
PropTCP TCP/IP stack: code.google.com/p/proptcp/
334 x 216 - 77K

Comments

• AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2008-03-23 18:32
    You definitely get the prize for dirtiest HYDRA [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Anyway, very cool integration of parts to get something to work. Make a little server of somekind, give us the IP address, so we can pull the page or something cool like sign a guest list and it remembers it.

Andre'
  • Jasper_MJasper_M Posts: 222
    edited 2008-03-23 23:30
    Lol it's not dirt, it's a protective dust layer. And maybe I'll make a server some day, but I have some other projects (like the article)...
  • AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2008-03-25 07:32
    I just noticed your frame grabber. I have that exact same model. The hardware is great, the software that it comes with is garbage. It locks up continuously. I stopped using it since I got tired of re-booting. Have you had the same trouble?

Andre'
    edited 2008-03-25 10:15
    I set the framegrabber up just to take screenshots from Hydra. I actually never bothered to install the software that came with it, I use a very primitive method, VirtualDub + Print Screen, VirtualDub sucks too, it keeps crashing if you use some features you're not supposed to [noparse]:)[/noparse] ... and it doesn't support saving image files, so I have to resort to print screen.

And the hardware should have a sticker that tells what kind of DC it wants... I had to google for that, the results said it wants +5V, but then I found the transformer that came with it, and it was 3.3V...
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-03-25 20:29
    I *know* that IRC app! [noparse]:)[/noparse]

I need to setup my video capture card so I can do some of that myself.
    Didn't someone here create a prop screen grabber a while back?

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Getting started with the Protoboard? - Propeller Cookbook 1.4
    Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
    Got an SD card? - PropDOS
    A Living Propeller FAQ - The Propeller Wiki
    (Got the Knowledge? Got a Moment? Add something today!)

edited 2008-03-25 20:38
    Oldbitcollector said...
    I *know* that IRC app! [noparse]:)[/noparse]

I need to setup my video capture card so I can do some of that myself.
    Didn't someone here create a prop screen grabber a while back?

OBC

Lol : ) I think you mean this http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=657569 , no video cap from NTSC in, but dumping of display buffers. If you find something else for grabbing a screen using a prop, please let me know too