Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
I'm ordering Hydra, I need help — Parallax Forums

I'm ordering Hydra, I need help

Adriano72Adriano72 Posts: 22
edited 2008-03-27 22:36 in Propeller 1
Hi all,

I decided to learn programming videogames (already an ordinary programmer). My carrere was aborted when in 1987 my dog put his fang on the floppy disk on which there was the unique copy of my first Shoot'em up written with SEUCK for CBM64 cry.gif

I'm just waiting to get my monthly income and then ordering Hydra kit. jumpin.gif

I saw there's a discount on the memory card 512 (extreme) if taking it with the console kit

I also saw theres the possibility to buy that device that reads SD memory.

My question is: what's better? Buying thre 512 extreme card or the SD reader?

Are they doing the same thing? Or are they somewhat different?

Please help so that I can put my order (I can't stay in my skin...!)

Thanks!

Best Regards

Adriano from Rome (Italy)

Comments

• Jasper_MJasper_M Posts: 222
    edited 2008-03-21 10:19
    The HX512K has RAM while SD is ROM. You can use the HX512K as a screen buffer (currently there's only one driver doing so, my XVIDEO http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=655536 see link for a screenshot and specs. The SD card can be used to store multiple games (it comes with a menu where you can select games) or you can make a softwaer that allows you to load different levels etc. from the card. So they're totally different things.
  • Adriano72Adriano72 Posts: 22
    edited 2008-03-21 14:07
    Thank you Jasper for your answer!
  • AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2008-03-22 00:13
    It also depends on what you see yourself doing immediately. If you see yourself writing apps that need more SRAM then the HX512 is the better choice. But, if you see yourself writing apps that need mass storage or you just like to have 65000 games at your finger tips on an SD card then that is the better bet.

Or of course you could just get both [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Andre'
    edited 2008-03-22 12:25
    Thanks Andr
  • GiemmeGiemme Posts: 85
    edited 2008-03-25 12:03
    Ciao Adriano

I have an Hydra Kit with 512KSram since last Xmast and I am very happy with it. At a moment I am Emulating a ZX81 homecomputer...

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=700236
    Helpfull document about propeller (in italian)
    http://www.spacelab.dti.supsi.ch/TIsat-1/Propeller.pdf

Regards

Gianni

P.S. if you want to share some knowledge feel free to send me a PM in italiano

Post Edited (Giemme) : 3/26/2008 12:32:20 PM GMT
    edited 2008-03-27 22:36
    Ciao Gianni!

you have an Italian name!

I'm going to order Hydra in a tenth daysm when I'll get my monthly income...
    Im' 36yo, and I remember the "Spectrum" !! Anyway I was by the other side! I had a Cmb 64.

I'm starting from scratch learning to program videogames, even if I'm a programmer and a web developer.

See you on board!

cheers

Adriano