Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Stand Alone Hydra — Parallax Forums

Stand Alone Hydra

william chanwilliam chan Posts: 1,326
edited 2008-03-20 04:19 in Propeller 1
Hi,

How many games can I install into Hydra in one go and play them without PCs?
Why Hydra does not come with Mass Storage devices?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
www.fd.com.my
www.mercedes.com.my

Comments

• Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-03-20 01:07
    Sounds like you need one of these...

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=703371

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Getting started with the Protoboard? - Propeller Cookbook 1.4
    Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
    Got an SD card? - PropDOS
    A Living Propeller FAQ - The Propeller Wiki
    (Got the Knowledge? Got a Moment? Add something today!)

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-03-20 01:12
    1) That depends on what you connect to it. The Hydra comes with 128K of EEPROM on the main board and you can use any number of 128K expansion cards. The main EEPROM can hold 4 programs and the expansion cards can hold 4 programs each. Realistically, one of the programs has to be some kind of control program that can load others. The easiest way to do this is with FemtoBasic as the control program.

2) Andre' would have to answer with his specific reasons, but I suspect they are: a) It would have been expensive to use an external memory controller like GHI Electronics' or Vinculum's. b) At the time he started designing it, the use of an SD card connected directly to a Propeller was fairly new and not well developed. Now, of course, he's designed and manufactured an expansion card for the Hydra that provides that capability. This expansion card also works with FemtoBasic.
  • Timothy D. SwieterTimothy D. Swieter Posts: 1,613
    edited 2008-03-20 04:19
    From the preview of the SD card documentation it looks like you can store as many programs as the SD Card holds and then recall them.

For the second question, it is best that Andre' respond like Mike said. My guess would be is that it added complexity that wasn't needed. In a way it does have a storage controller, the expansion cards. Think of them as game cartridges like the game consoles of the past. The expansion cards are great too for the other add-ons like the SD card or the RAM card.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter

www.brilldea.com·- check out the uOLED-IOC, an I/O expansion for the uOLED-96-PROP
    www.tdswieter.com
    One little spark of imagination is all it takes for an idea to explode