Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Have VDrive 2 - what now? — Parallax Forums

Have VDrive 2 - what now?

PaulFPaulF Posts: 62
edited 2008-03-15 09:43 in Propeller 1
Hi, I've just received my VDrive 2 (Vinculum) from FTDI but I'm struggling as to where to start with it. Does anyone have a schematic and a simple program to allow me to read a group of characters from a .txt file on a USB memory stick. I'm new to the propellor but I have to get up to speed very quick to develop an application consisting of a text file containing approx 5 million unique codes (each code has 8 alpha numeric characters), a 4x20 LCD display and a printer. The Propellor needs to read the codes consecutively, decrypt them, display them on the LCD display and pass them to a printer via serial comms (possibly RS232).
I really only need help to get my first successful READ and possibly a WRITE to the memory stick. Any help would be appreciated.

Paul

Comments

• UnsoundcodeUnsoundcode Posts: 1,532
    edited 2008-03-14 15:06
    Hi Paul, have you checked the Object Exchange, http://obex.parallax.com/objects/category/1/

There are three objects that deal with communicating with a Parallax Datalogger , which is basically the Vdrive 2. The objects cover UART and SPI modes of communicaion.

Jeff T.
  • PaulFPaulF Posts: 62
    edited 2008-03-14 15:20
    Thanks Jeff, I didn't realise these were one and the same. I will go and play now.
    edited 2008-03-14 21:10
    I have tried unsuccessfully for the last 4 hours or so, to get some kind of interaction with a usb drive. It could be just that I do not have enough spin programming experience yet. Again if anyone has any advice on how I should proceed (pinouts, sample programs etc) it would be greatly appreciated.
  • UnsoundcodeUnsoundcode Posts: 1,532
    edited 2008-03-15 02:37
    Hi Paul, the best examples I have seen have been written by Mike Green and Peter Verkaik. I don't have any links right now but I remember that Mike posted an example in the Completed projects forum and Peter had a really good example using SPI·and using a·debug screen, that one was posted here in the Propeller forum. I am assuming you know that because the Vdrive is a 5 volt device you have to have a separate regulator and add in protection on the tx and rx lines. I think that·was also discussed in the above postings by Mike and Peter. Hopefully a search will pull them up.

hope this helps

Jeff T.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-03-15 02:45
  • Peter VerkaikPeter Verkaik Posts: 3,956
    edited 2008-03-15 09:31
    Paul,
    My complete object is placed in the object exchange under Datastorage, named DataloggerSPI.
    It creates a text file in a directory and reads back that file, displaying any error that
    the Vinculum chip may throw.
    It uses SPI mode and thus it requires 4 I/O pins for CS, SCLK, SDI and SDO.
    Put 1k series resistors between prop I/O pin and Vinculum pin.

http://obex.parallax.com/objects/category/1/

regards peter
    edited 2008-03-15 09:43
    Thanks Jeff and Mike, I now have comms with the drive and I am looking forward to playing with this over the St. Patricks weekend. Go raibh mile mile maith agat (thanks a million). Slan!!

Thanks Peter, i just noticed your post.