Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Newbie- Why no seperate servo battery on BOE? — Parallax Forums

Newbie- Why no seperate servo battery on BOE?

wabbitwabbit Posts: 16
edited 2008-03-12 17:23 in Learn with BlocklyProp
I am a complete NOOB.

A little about me:
Experience:
I bought the BOE bot kit and have been going through it and the: What is a microcontroller book.
programming experience:limited to the stuff they teach in middle school to make simple games and plot points etc.
electrical experience: bought Understanding Electricity book by Tab. I understand resistors, leds, capacitors, relays/ switches·a little.·- got to the part about transistors and got stuck. I've made silly little christmas ornaments with some leds, a resistor and a 9v battery.
Mechanical: Used to race rc cars. experiened with servos linkages, gears etc. not really worried about this part

So, I've been reading a lot about controlling servos with·a basic stamp. Almost everything I read recommends using a seperate power source for the servos from the Microcontroller.·

How does the Board of education deal with·this so that there is only one input source?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-03-12 17:23
    It doesn't really although there are provisions (a jumper) to run the servos directly off the battery or other power source while the Stamp and other logic has a 5V regulator. Typically the external power source is 6 to 7.5V and that's enough "head room" for the regulator to do its work.

On the BOE, you can always put header pins in the breadboard area and provide a separate power source for the servos. You just have to be sure to connect the grounds (Vss) together.