Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Capturing raw Ping module return with ADC? — Parallax Forums

Capturing raw Ping module return with ADC?

RaymanRayman Posts: 14,162
edited 2008-03-12 01:08 in Propeller 1
Just got this Ping module with servo today...·

I'm contemplating capturing the return signal directly with my ADC object.· (But haven't really thought it through yet...).

I think it would could be neat to display a radar-like image while the servo scans around...

Perhaps the sonic burst can actually penetrate/go around some objects, allowing you to see behind them?

After looking at it a bit, I think I could have saved money and just got some transducers and interfaced them directly with the Propeller...

Here's another crazy idea:· Phased array of transducers.· I think if I put 10 or so of them in a row, the angular resolution (at least in one dimension) would improve a lot.· And, if one were to individually control them, you could eliminate the servo and scan by adjusting the phase on the array...
·

Comments

• jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2008-03-12 01:08
    Fascinating. I could use this on my helicopter [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    Ping is seems accurate for a couple of meters.

Shouldn't you be counting the echo time though rather than measuring voltage ?
    Six pings in a hexagon would buy you 45 degrees all around.

Wonder what the sweep resolution of the mechanical alternative would be.
    Guess it depends on the rotation speed and cont-rotation one is not so fast.
    Perhaps a DC motor with a low duty-cycle pwm and transistor would be better ?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    jazzed·... about·living in·http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_Valley

Traffic is slow at times, but Parallax orders·always get here fast 8)