Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Simple PWM Solenoid Driver? — Parallax Forums

Simple PWM Solenoid Driver?

BrianmcmBrianmcm Posts: 33
edited 2008-03-13 12:59 in BASIC Stamp
Is there a simple circuit to allow·the Basic Stamp to control a 12Vdc Solenoid using the PWM command? I understand that using PWM can vary the position of the solenoid plunger.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Brian.

Comments

• NoiseMantraNoiseMantra Posts: 4
    edited 2008-03-12 21:45
    You might want to try something like the attached circuit.
    However, solenoids aren't generally designed to actuate over a range of positions,
    so it wouldn't surprise me if your solenoid just hummed or buzzed for a while and
    then clicked all the way in once your PWM circuit reached a certain threshold.

Put the solenoid in place of the motor
    and use a high current transistor,
    preferably a darlington such as a TIP120.
    740 x 468 - 48K
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2008-03-12 23:16
    A Darlington will likely overheat if it's driven with the PWM command. The reason is that Darlingtons switch slowly — probably more slowly than the PWM pulses, which can be a short as 4us. As a consequence, the Darlington will spend a lot of time in its linear region for duty cycles of less than 100%. You can try it, but if the transistor gets too hot, you'll know the reason.

A better choice may be to use a MOSFET, like the IRL520 that Parallax sells.

BTW, I assume from your question that the solenoid has a spring return or some other force to oppose the pull from the coil, right?

-Phil
  • BrianmcmBrianmcm Posts: 33
    edited 2008-03-13 12:59
    Thank you so much for the info. The idea was based on an article I came across that was using the solenoid as part of a Pressure Balance Valve assembly. They article described a pull-in solenoid placed vertically where gravity was the return force. The solenoid is being used to control an air gap. I was intrigued and wanted to experiment.