Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Is propeller's power enough... — Parallax Forums

Is propeller's power enough...

giannissamgiannissam Posts: 22
edited 2008-03-11 18:57 in Propeller 1
Hello all,
I was wondering if propeller's·power is enough for audio cryptography.
i was thinking of prop reading from a flash memory or smthn similar an audio file and be able to encrypt in it data from another file. do you think it is possible?

thanx

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-03-11 13:57
    Maybe. It depends on the details like: How big is the audio file? What's the bit rate? Stereo or Monaural? Any compression? What kind of encryption? How big is the "key" file?

I can imagine sets of answers to these questions and others where it would be possible and other sets of answers where it would not be possible.
  • giannissamgiannissam Posts: 22
    edited 2008-03-11 18:18
    Thx for the response.
    lets just say the heaviest task would be what?
    For example stereo 44100khz wav file, encryption : phase coding, spread spectrum or echo hiding·(check here for some info http://www.snotmonkey.com/work/school/405/methods.html) and a big key file (maybe another wav).

could it be possible?

Post Edited (giannissam) : 3/11/2008 6:31:24 PM GMT
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-03-11 18:57
    I don't know. You'd have to sketch out the encryption algorithm and figure out the timing. You would need to read in both the audio stream and the key stream simultaneously and fast enough for the bit rate involved. I believe that's been done already (http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=683127). There's no problem with having two separate SD cards and two copies of the SD driver running ... That's only 4 cogs. The stereo data could be separated into two buffered streams with a cog each assigned to encrypt them. One other cog could output the stereo stream using a pair of cog counters for the two channels.