Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Hydra problem — Parallax Forums

Hydra problem

paddy303paddy303 Posts: 12
edited 2008-03-25 07:21 in Propeller 1
Hi everyone,
················· A few days ago i recieved my hydra development pack. Since then I was reading the book that came with it, I thought id brush up on the basics before I jumped in with the hardware. Tonight I set up the hydra with my tv to get started. When I checked out the board I was unhappy to find that the PGM EEPROM chip was inserted wrongly and there were a few pins on the chip bent, I took the chip out and straightened them, I then popped the chip back in. I then followed the guide in the enclosed book and got the Parallaxaroids demo running. Heres the start of my problems. The mouse works fine for control but when i press fire the asteroids dont break up, the fire justs passes trough the asteroids, Really strange. The second problem is that when i follow the next task in the book, inserting the game cartridge and pressing reset, the new game demo (ballbuster) does not appear on the screen, all that comes up is a blank screen. Iv gone through all these steps a load of times, Im using the right cartridge, the led's light up·and have double checked everything, im totally lost. Also have any of you had problems inserting the gamepad, I tried for a long time trying to fit it, eventually it fitted, (I didnt want to damage the board). I hope someone can help me with my problems as I am looking forward to getting the hydra up and running.

···················································· cheers....patrick

Comments

• GiemmeGiemme Posts: 85
    edited 2008-03-09 09:31
    Hi Patrick

Are you using PAL or NTCS video format? because the demo games are based on NTCS.

I had the same problem in switzerland

Regards

Gianni
  • paddy303paddy303 Posts: 12
    edited 2008-03-09 16:38
    hi giemme,
    ·············· Thanks for the reply, my tv works with both·PAL and NTSC,·I double checked. Still wont work right.

·······························································
    edited 2008-03-10 00:14
    Hi everyone again,

······················· After running into the problems with my tv·I deceided to hook up the hydra to my VGA computer monitor. The power input to the hydra was 12v and the LEDS were lighting on the board, also the VGA Enable switch was set to on. To my dismay the screen was blank when I switched on the hydra, the monitor didnt power up, Normaly when the pc is off the led on the monitor is on orange (standby), and when the pc is on its green. When i powered on the hydra the status was orange on the monitor, it didnt change to green after switching on the hydra. If any of you out there can help me with my problems it would be greatly appreciated,·thanks

····················································· patrick.
  • VIRANDVIRAND Posts: 656
    edited 2008-03-10 01:18
    Parallaxaroids is only a demo and you can't destroy the asteroids nor can you lose your ship.
    Also, some Hydras accidentally came without Ballbuster on the game card. But it's on the CD and you can put it on the game card yourself after you install the Propeller Tool.
    To use VGA you have to include a VGA driver in a game; the switch just switches the VGA port to the experimenter board.

You might want to load different games into the Hydra EEPROM, and the game card:
    I put femto basic on my EEPROM and Dodgy Kong on my game card.

Post Edited (VIRAND) : 3/10/2008 1:30:59 AM GMT
  • Spork FrogSpork Frog Posts: 212
    edited 2008-03-23 12:19
    I agree with Virand here, nothing you are seeing is completely out of the ordinary, minus the bent EEPROM (which you fixed.)

Pallaxaroids is an incomplete demo. What you're seeing is what it's supposed to do, don't worry.

Sounds like once again you got a blank expansion card somehow. This was a single batch mistake; just re-load it from your PC.

The VGA and video ports aren't connected together (misconception on the part of a lot of people somehow.) Games use specifically one or the other, and it's usually the compostie port. I honestly can't think of many complete games that use VGA.
    edited 2008-03-23 17:47
    Hi Patrick

I am experiencing the same problem as you.
    I tried folllowing driver but it doesn't work
    http://obex.parallax.com/objects/68/

My Hydra is a rev A

Regards

Gianni
    edited 2008-03-23 20:58
    Hi all

I get this signal now but it is not the best

Any idea why??

Regards
    Gianni
    615 x 461 - 64K
    vga.jpg 63.8K
    edited 2008-03-23 22:45
    Hi all,

······ Thanks for all your advise and help, my Hydra works like a dream now, cheers

······················································· Patrick.
  • Spork FrogSpork Frog Posts: 212
    edited 2008-03-24 16:22
    @Giemme:
    1. Unplug any expansion cards.
    2. Double-check the VGA switch is ON.
    3. Check/lightly tap the crystal (they get loose sometimes.)
    4. Use the VGA drivers that come with the Propeller Tool under "Propeller Library."
    edited 2008-03-25 07:21
    Thanks

I am using now following drivers and it works properly:

vga_1024x768_tile_driver_with_cursor.spin
    vga_1024x1024_tile_driver_with_cursor.spin

Regards
    Gianni