Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
DanceBot Article — Parallax Forums

DanceBot Article

HannoHanno Posts: 1,130
edited 2008-03-11 05:54 in Propeller 1
DanceBot is a balancing robot that can dance. It's powered by the Parallax Propeller, ViewPort, a gyro and an accelerometer. Here's a newspaper article about it.

www.stuff.co.nz/4430008a28.html

I'll start selling them in May...
Hanno
mydancebot.com

Comments

• HarleyHarley Posts: 997
    edited 2008-03-08 07:36
    Cool article, Hanno.

What 'tool(s)' were used besides ViewPort to develop DanceBot?

yeah.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
  • hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2008-03-08 18:46
    Nice complementary article.

"He wanted to create a two-wheeled upright robot that could ... perhaps climb stairs"

Is that possible ?
  • simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2008-03-08 19:47
    @hippy: I had the same thought - maybe if the wheels were really big?!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon
    www.norfolkhelicopterclub.co.uk
    You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again ;-)
    BTW: I type as I'm thinking, so please don't take any offense at my writing style smile.gif
  • HannoHanno Posts: 1,130
    edited 2008-03-10 10:26
    Harley-
    I used the ViewPort "Logic Analyzer" mode to optimize IO communications with all the sensors: compass, gyro, accelerometer, encoder, ultrasound, h-bridge driver and video input. I used ViewPort's "Digital Storage Oscilloscope" mode to track variables over time and change parameters while the prototype was balancing. Lastly, I use the "Fuzzy Logic" mode to tune the fuzzy logic parameters.
    Besides my trusty multi-meter I didn't use any stand-alone scopes or analyzers.
    I wrote some simulation programs in .Net to get a handle on the physics.

Simon/Hippy,
    Getting up stairs is slightly easier for a dynamically balanced robot. It does require large wheels, knobby tires, or even a "helping hand". It's not a short term priority, but I am thinking about it.
    Hanno
  • Shane De CataniaShane De Catania Posts: 67
    edited 2008-03-10 10:34
    So Hanno, where are the "Exciting DanceBot Videos"? smilewinkgrin.gif I want to be excited!
  • HannoHanno Posts: 1,130
    edited 2008-03-11 05:54
    Shane,
    Sorry about that. A video was taken as part of the article. It's only just made it's way to the web. Here it is:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/videoplayer/123721a21415.html

I've also updated my website with the link.
    Hanno